Thread: ‘Rain Tax’ Likely To Become Reality In New Jersey

Exclamation ‘Rain Tax’ Likely To Become Reality In New Jersey

Not sure how this is supposed to be applied.

More than likely just heaped on your property tax bill based on how many square feet of paved driveway or parking lot you have.

It would be hilarious if it actually based on rainfall, and after every heavy rain you got a walloping tax bill.

Enjoy it NJ, you wanted it, you voted for it, now you got it.

‘Rain Tax’ Likely To Become Reality In New Jersey

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02...in-new-jersey/

February 4, 2019 at 10:01 pm

ELIZABETH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — New Jersey is one of the highest taxed states in the country.

Now, residents and businesses could be taxed extra … when it rains.

Save it for a rainy day. Some of your hard-earned dollars may be taken away as the weather turns ugly and rain drops fall on the Garden State. A new bill calls for the creation of local or regional storm water utilities, giving local counties and municipalities the power to collect a tax from properties with large paved surfaces such as parking lots, CBS2’s Meg Baker reported.

That’s businesses and homeowners.

The bill passed in the Senate and the Assembly and is now headed to Gov. Phil Murphy’s desk.

Is It A Good Idea To Tax People When It Rains?

“With all the salt that we’ve had on roads recently, that’s all running into the sewer systems. So you can’t ignore problems because they don’t go away,” Senate President Steve Sweeney said.

Sweeney said most states already have storm water utilities that collect and filter runoff from storms. In New Jersey, the runoff goes directly into streams, rivers and bays, carrying with it pollution like lawn fertilizers that contaminate the waterways.

Former governor and current state Sen. Richard Codey said it’s necessary.

“A lot of our economy is based on, obviously, the shore. We gotta make sure we keep it that way,” Codey said.

Some homeowners aren’t a fan of the plan, either.

“They are crazy. As it is, there are too much taxes in New Jersey,” Elizabeth resident Ramon Columna said. “Why would we want more taxes especially on cement, ya know?”

“Our homeowner’s taxes are as high as they can possibly be. They shouldn’t go any higher. It’s not fair,” resident Leslie Cedillo added.

Some Republicans have dubbed the bill the “Rain Tax,” saying another tax makes New Jersey even more unaffordable, and state Sen. Tom Kean Jr. agrees.

“We all want to protect our environment. We all want to preserve it for future generations. But this is a weighted tax. The citizens of New Jersey … really with no oversight and no way to defend themselves against tax increases at local levels,” Kean said.

When asked what he would say to taxpayers who say they cannot afford another tax, Codey said, “It’s a small cost to live safely.”

Other supporters say creating these utilities would help reduce flooding caused by storms.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-05-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These Senators have absolutely no business passing any legislation, NJ,
    should demand the gov step down should he sign this bill.

How about the government stops putting salt on the roads?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

So do I get a tax credit then if I get rain barrels to collect rain to use on my garden?

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    So do I get a tax credit then if I get rain barrels to collect rain to use on my garden?
    no im sure theres a penalty for that... youd be interfering with the local water agency from getting their fair share

Has NJ been getting an unfair amount of rain ? How can the rain taxes be redistributed in a way for Dem voters to benefit ?
    Do something Danke

Colorado prohibits this practice, another failed state.

“With all the salt that we’ve had on roads recently, that’s all running into the sewer systems. So you can’t ignore problems because they don’t go away,” Senate President Steve Sweeney said.
    ... and once the rain is taxed, the problems still won't go away... but your money will.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    ... and once the rain is taxed, the problems still won't go away... but your money will.
    That is the root cause of the problem . Politicians are certain Specs has too much money and they have all day to dream up how to get some while he is busy earning it .
    Do something Danke

A new bill calls for the creation of local or regional storm water utilities, giving local counties and municipalities the power to collect a tax from properties with large paved surfaces such as parking lots, CBS2’s Meg Baker reported.

Wait, this is a salt tax? Does Elizabeth really salt parking lots and private driveways? No? Then how does this extra pavement lead to more salt, again?

“A lot of our economy is based on, obviously, the shore. We gotta make sure we keep it that way,” Codey said.
    Wait, we're worried about salty water at the sea shore? And what sort of water do they expect to find at the sea shore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The same state that won’t comply with gun regs. Interesting.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Can't wait for the breathe tax and the standing tax.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Silly mundane, only the Rich and Elite get tax breaks.

---

This entire country is turning into Communism by Taxation. Tax everything the lower class earns. Lets be realistic and face it, there is NO Middle Class, only the Upper and Lower classes now. And those at the bottom do NOT get the tax breaks the rich and powerful get. Youre even worse off if you get paid so little that your precious Communist govt gives you welfare and food stamps because your employer wont pay you a livable wage while raking in record profits year after year *cough* Walmart / Amazon.

The government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away too.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

There will need to be low humidity taxes enacted in places with little rainfall.

The solution is to enclose your place of business in a bubble
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.