Thread: [Edit: Rotation?] Trump begins bringing troops home from Afghanistan!

Thumbs up [Edit: Rotation?] Trump begins bringing troops home from Afghanistan!

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1092405507049037824

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If this is confirmed as non-fakenews (unlike the "we're leaving Syria in 30 days" fakenews earlier ) and he follows through on this, it would be commendable.

No details here, is this reduction in his earlier surge or there will be net reduction in number of troops in freedom operation there?

Trump is sending more than 3,000 troops to Afghanistan
    He never liked the war, but now his legacy is wrapped up in the quagmire too.
    Sep 19, 2017

Media and neocons may try to convince him to shift his stance again with "Iran/Russia will take over Afghanistan" but he should show some resolve and decisiveness.
    While it is true that Iran may pose threat to our closest democratic ally Israel but from how many sides US funded troops need to keep watching Iran and for how many more years?

February 4, 2019
    Iraqi president says Trump did not ask permission to 'watch Iran'
    BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqi President Barham Salih said on Monday that President Donald Trump did not ask Iraq’s permission for U.S. troops stationed there to “watch Iran.”
    Speaking at a forum in Baghdad, Salih was responding to a question about Trump’s comments to CBS about how he would ask troops stationed in Iraq to “watch” Iran.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1EF2U3

Afghan Military Rejects Russia’s Allegation of U.S. ‘Liberating Islamic State Leaders’
    The Russian newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda repeated, in late January, a claim by the Iranian media agency Tasnim that U.S. troops “liberated 38-40 ISIL fighters from a Taliban prison in Badghis province, Afghanistan, killing 20-30 Taliban.”
    “In mid-January after a special operation conducted by the U.S. military in the Badghis province in Afghanistan, 38-40 inmates believed to be the leaders of ISIL (Islamic State) formations have been transported on board of the U.S. military helicopters from the prison near Panjabis village… to an unknown location,” the article said.
    https://www.polygraph.info/a/russia-.../29746614.html

Afghan government frozen out of Moscow peace talks with the Taliban

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, center, poses for a photo on Nov. 9 with participants in a conference on Afghanistan that brought together Afghan envoys and the Taliban in Moscow. (Pavel Golovkin/AP)
    February 4
    KABUL — Taliban representatives and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s political rivals plan to discuss the future of Afghanistan in Moscow on Tuesday, a move some consider a further blow to the authority of the country’s administration.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...295_story.html

Related

Trump: ‘We have to protect Israel,’ shifting again on Syria withdrawal

Rand is huge advocate of ending foreign wars regime but perhaps he should take a pause before congratulating MAGA regime on such annoucements.

Rand Paul hails Trump for Syria withdrawal - POLITICO
    Dec 23, 2018 - Warning of the dangers of an “explosive, expansive war,“ Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday he is “very proud of the president” for withdrawing ...

February 3, 2019 16:08

It says they are coming home after a nine month deployment. How long was their deployment to begin with. Is this just a normal rotation?

Excellent!! , we should also stop protecting Afghanistan's Heroin Trade,
    hopefully that is part of the withdrawl.

This is just a rotation. Others will replace.

The Army also announced Thursday other brigades and one division headquarters that are gearing up to head out on deployment later this year and in early 2019.

The next heel-to-toe shifts are:

The 1st Infantry Division Sustainment Brigade will deploy to Afghanistan this winter, replacing the 101st Airborne Division Sustainment Brigade.
    1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division will deploy to Europe this winter, replacing 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
    The 1st Infantry Division’s 1st Combat Aviation Brigade will deploy to Europe this winter, replacing the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade.
    The 1st Cavalry Division headquarters will deploy to Afghanistan in spring 2019, replacing the Army National Guard’s 40th Infantry Division headquarters.
    3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division will deploy to Kuwait in spring 2019, replacing the Mississippi National Guard’s 155th Armored Brigade Combat Team.
    https://www.theleafchronicle.com/sto...aq/1693882002/
    Last edited by phill4paul; 02-04-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Lets bring every troop in Afghanistan back home.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This is just a rotation. Others will replace.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/sto...aq/1693882002/
    Thanks for catching that.

Can the mods fix the thread title?

The content of Rand's tweet doesn't even support the thread title.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    No details here, is this reduction in his earlier surge or there will be net reduction in number of troops in freedom operation there?
    None of the above. It's not a reduction in number of troops at all.

Come to think of it, this may be the way Trump will claim to have kept his promise to bring troops home from Syria. He can just say, "I never said there would be fewer troops there. I just said that I would bring home the ones that were there. Of course I always intended to replace them with others."

That would fit right in with his general pattern of promise keeping, like how he's already gotten Mexico to pay for the wall with his renegotiated trade agreement with them. I still get a kick out of how his die-hard defenders buy that line.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 02-04-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Thanks for catching that.

Can the mods fix the thread title?
    Believe me, I'd give all praise to Trump if this was the fact. But, it is not. This is just a rotation. Others have already replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    None of the above. It's not a reduction in number of troops at all.

Come to think of it, this may be the way Trump will claim to have kept his promise to bring troops home from Syria. He can just say, "I never said there would be fewer troops there. I just said that I would bring home the ones that were there. Of course I always intended to replace them with others."

That would fit right in with his general pattern of promise keeping, like how he's already gotten Mexico to pay for the wall with his renegotiated trade agreement with them. I still get a kick out of how his die-hard defenders buy that line.

I dunno, hope our skepticism is misplaced. Otherwise resultimg image of our leadership could be bad for freedom of democractic integrity values.

Poll: How much trust do you put in current President's promises and statements?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Rand is huge advocate of ending foreign wars regime but perhaps he should take a pause before congratulating MAGA regime on such annoucements.

Rand Paul hails Trump for Syria withdrawal - POLITICO
    Dec 23, 2018 - Warning of the dangers of an “explosive, expansive war,“ Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday he is “very proud of the president” for withdrawing ...

February 3, 2019 16:08
    "The Patriarch"

For real, I mean if this was true, who would guard harvest care for teh poppy fields.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    At least the dog is getting something out of that exercise. Only if I can burn as much calories rolling my eyes

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.