Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American anarchist 'John Galton' shot dead in Acapulco

Exclamation American anarchist 'John Galton' shot dead in Acapulco

Died by his own terms, which is more than can be said for me, or 99 percent of us.

American anarchist 'John Galton' shot dead in Acapulco

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...dead-acapulco/

By Amy Guthrie - Associated Press - Sunday, February 3, 2019

MEXICO CITY — An American anarchist who went by the name John Galton was shot dead at his home in the Mexican resort of Acapulco, sending shivers through a tightknit anti-establishment community of expatriates that organizes events in the violence-torn retreat with seminars on topics such as how to make money via cryptocurrencies.

A woman describing herself as John’s partner, Lily, said via social media that she saw the gunmen go straight for John and his friend Jason Henza, 43. Henza made it to a private hospital with bullet wounds in an armpit, leg and hand. The hospital said he checked out that same day. Mexican police found equipment to process drugs, glass pipes and marijuana plants at the home.

Lily and Henza both posted videos to Facebook immediately after the shooting. Lily screamed: “I really need help! Somebody please come.” In his post, a bearded Henza said in a blood-smattered T-Shirt: “We were attacked. I’ve been shot three times. I’m not doing so good.”

Prior to the shooting, John and Lily hosted weekly “Meat Ups” at a local restaurant where self-professed carnivores dined only on meat. They were also busy recruiting speakers for an anarchist conference set to take place in Acapulco later in February. The dreadlocked couple, both in their 20s, posted a video to Facebook two months ago calling for attendees at the conference.

“We want freedom of ideas,” John said from the patio of a house that the couple rented for $400 a month high above the bay of Acapulco. Waves lapped gently far below and roosters crowed as he spoke.

Lily did not respond to request for comment via social media on Saturday. Henza declined to comment. A U.S. Department of State official said the Bureau of Consular Affairs was aware of an investigation into the death of a U.S. citizen in Acapulco, but that it couldn’t provide additional information due to privacy considerations.

John Galton could be a pseudonym, a nod to John Galt, the fictional character who defies convention in Ayn Rand’s individualistic tome “Atlas Shrugged.” John Galt is idolized among some anarchist groups who resent state overreach.

In a separate video posted to a YouTube channel called Press For Truth, John and Lily described how, in early 2016, they fled drug charges in the U.S. John said they each faced up to 25 years in prison for manufacture of a controlled substance - specifically, condensing marijuana into powerful extracts - that Lily used for chronic pain.

No U.S. federal court records for drug charges were found under the name John Galton.

In a second video a year later by Press For Truth, the couple detailed how they were getting by financially through selling glass drug pipes that Lily blew into shape. When asked about the high crime rates in Acapulco, the blue-eyed anarchist with scruffy facial hair said: “I’d say it’s safer than any big city I’ve lived in in the U.S., like way safer than Chicago or something like that.”

Guerrero state, home to Acapulco, has a murder rate of 64.2 per 100,000 residents, more than two times that of Chicago. Acapulco has become a hotbed for violence between drug gangs.

“There’s pockets of freedom all over the world,” John said in the video. “There’s so much that’s more free about where we live here.”

-Associated Press writer Jose Antonio Rivera contributed to this story from Acapulco.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He was awesome!

Rip brother
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Wapo story.

Bathed in the sunlight of Mexico’s dry season, his dreadlocks tumbling down his back, a man who went by the name “John Galton,” an apparent nod to the hero of Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged," observed almost two years ago, “There’s pockets of freedom all over the world if you’re willing to live in freedom.”

Galton paid a high price for that freedom. He was gunned down Friday by a band of men who stormed his home in Acapulco, where he and his girlfriend had found safe haven from drug charges in the United States, as they explained in a March 2017 video interview with the conspiracy site Press for Truth.

Joining a community of like-minded expatriates, Galton had sought to build a life as a self-made man. He advocated drug liberalization and taught classes on cryptocurrencies. He was set to be featured in a documentary called “Stateless.”

He envisioned himself as a prophet of American entrepreneurship — but freed from the constraints of the American nation-state.

“Go for what you want to do," he suggested to Americans considering a similar move. "If you think it’s not possible, maybe you’re doing it in the wrong place.”

As for the locals, “They don’t seem to mind us living here. We’ve lived here a year with no issues."

His girlfriend, Lily Forester, nodded. Defending the once-glamorous Pacific Coast city now considered Mexico’s “murder capital,” she said, “It’s not perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than anything I’ve experienced in the States.”

On Friday, she was left pleading for help after the rampage left her boyfriend dead and another man, Jason Henza, injured.

“If somebody’s listening, please, I just — somebody showed up right after we finished eating, and they shot John and Henza, and I was in the house, and John’s dead at the gate,” Forester wailed in video she posted on social media. She begged, “Somebody please come.”

Henza, 43, also recorded his anguished reactions to the attack. Appearing in a bloodied T-shirt, he stared into the camera and in a state of eerie resignation. “We were attacked," he reported. "I’ve been shot three times. I’m not doing so good.”

“Hopes and prayers, and all that stuff,” he added, speculating, “I think it’s backlash.”

Guerrero State police said in a statement Saturday that the survivors reported armed men showing up at a “cannabis greenhouse" and targeting Galton. The attorney’s office, which confirmed that Galton had been killed, said in a statement Sunday that it had found a marijuana laboratory on the premises, including white lights and gas tanks. No suspects had been named, and a motive for the killing remained unknown.

An email to the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs wasn’t immediately returned. The Associated Press reported that Galton was in his 20s and that Forester is, too.

In a statement to CoinSpice, a cryptocurrency news site, Forester said, “I will release a statement when it is safe for me to do so. The news is wrong, but I have to wait to tell my story.”

Speaking to Dan Dicks of Press for Truth in the spring of 2017, the couple said that they had been in Mexico for about a year, and that they had fled a potential 25-year prison sentence related to marijuana. They said they spent the equivalent of $300 a month, in addition to utilities, for their hideout in Vista Hermosa, which they described as a “developing neighborhood” on the edge of the city.

“We didn’t hurt anybody, so we’re just going where we’re valued,” Galton said.

Interviewed last year for a crypto-anarchist show called the Vonu Podcast, whose host labeled the couple “self-liberators,” each described their path to anarchism.

Raised by “hippie parents” who were anti-government but simultaneously dependent on food stamps, Forester said she became interested in politics in college. She realized politics “weren’t changing anything,” however, so she dropped out and “one thing led to another.”

Galton said that he had always had libertarian leanings, but that his anti-state philosophy grew sharper during the several months he spent in prison, although he claimed that he had never committed a crime. His lawyer gave him several books that put him on a “fast track toward anarchy,” he said, including Machiavelli’s “The Prince” and Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People.”

The couple began using cryptocurrencies toward the end of 2011 and decided to “de-bank” in 2012, they said. Attempting to live off the grid — with only a “cheap smartphone" and the “occasional Google search” — they bounced around the Midwest.

In Detroit, where they experimented with gardening and tried to fight government land seizures, they ran afoul of drug laws nearly three years ago, they said. “We were just trying to live in peace with our use of the cannabis plant," Forester said. "We had the wrong things on us at the wrong time.”

They were charged with five felonies, Galton said, and faced the possibility of more than 25 years in prison.

That’s when they fled, heading first to California and then to Mexico. “Neither of us could afford to pay all of the money to bribe the judges,” Forester said. “Our only defense was to leave.”

They crossed the border with $50 in cash. Once in Acapulco, they found odd jobs in the tourism industry, while also amassing followings on Steemit, a blogging and social networking site. Forester built a business blowing glass into pipes. Among their projects were organizing “Meat Ups,” which advocated a carnivorous diet, and creating “an uncensorable Wikipedia.”

They were founders of Anarchaforko, an anarchist conference and spinoff of the more well-known Anarchapulco, which brings 3,000 people to Acapulco each year for discussions about ways to “live unchained.” Both were to take place this month.

A participant in last year’s events mourned Galton’s death — suggesting that he had been targeted by cartels because he was competing with them — but said he was not afraid to return to the resort town in the state of Guerrero, which had a homicide rate in 2017 of 64.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, more than twice that of Chicago.

“You gotta have common sense about it, but I’d say it’s safer than any big city I’ve lived in in the U.S., like way safer than Chicago or something like that,” Galton said in the March 2017 interview, titled “John and Lily on the Run.”

Asked by Press for Truth whether there had been any contact from American authorities, Galton said, “We’re sure they know, like at this point, we’re trying to call out the corruption of the system."

“We don’t dislike America or anybody like that,” he said, explaining that his objection was rather to “statism.” He averred, “Taxation is theft.”

“And this is how they affect real people’s lives,” Forester said.

His wife's Facebook video on Youtube. The comments are not sympathetic - anti-freedom.

Government killed him.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

They don't want you to be free... anywhere.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    His wife's Facebook video on Youtube. The comments are not sympathetic - anti-freedom.

I'm shocked.
    "The Patriarch"

Gee, who'da thought that going to a world murder capital with idealistic visions of fighting the man might be a bad idea? I mean, I'm shocked. I would've thought going to Mexico and competing with drug cartels would be a walk in the park, but my illusions have been so cruelly shattered. I mean, Alcopulco is safer than Chicago, they said so themselves. The higher murder rate in Mexico is just propaganda! Truly, this man is a model to be admired emulated.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Look at this guy, what a $#@!ing tool. The libertarian movement would be so much better off without these kinds of people.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Gee, who'da thought that going to a world murder capital with idealistic visions of fighting the man might be a bad idea? I mean, I'm shocked. I would've thought going to Mexico and competing with drug cartels would be a walk in the park, but my illusions have been so cruelly shattered. I mean, Alcopulco is safer than Chicago, they said so themselves. The higher murder rate in Mexico is just propaganda! Truly, this man is a model to be admired emulated.
    No worries comrade, they'll all be imported here before too much longer.

They had balls enough to try. They said $#@! you, we'll take our chances and lost. WTF have you done?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    They had balls enough to try. They said $#@! you, we'll take our chances and lost. WTF have you done?
    Avoided an honorable mention in the Darwin awards.

Terminal stupidity is NOT a virtue.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Avoided an honorable mention in the Darwin awards.

Terminal stupidity is NOT a virtue.
    And the beat goes on, I'm gonna kneel because it's futile not to.
    "The Patriarch"

That's how I saw it as well.

This falls into the same category as Kokesh bashing.

Not my style, but I admire the courage.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-05-2019 at 05:51 PM.

And the beat goes on, I'm gonna kneel because it's futile not to.
    I may live long enough to actually affect things for the better, he just helped the powers that be make libertarians look insane.

Until you do what he did you don't have any right to throw stones at anyone else who doesn't do it either.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Courage must be tempered with wisdom, Kokesh and this guy are a detriment to the movement, they drive people away.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Kokesh isn't mine either, but I have better things to do than bash someone actually doing something.
    "The Patriarch"

"They had balls enough to try. They went into the woods to live off the grid and start poking bears, throwing rocks at hornets nests and play Russian Roulette. They lived on their own terms."

Give me a $#@!ing break. They enslaved themselves to a narrative about how great the things were outside of the first world. This is the result.

I may live long enough to actually affect things for the better, he just helped the powers that be make libertarians look insane.

Until you do what he did you don't have any right to throw stones at anyone else who doesn't do it either.
    You aren't going to affect $#@! towards reducing the police state. I don't think you believe what you just typed. Sitting on this forum 24/7 ain't gonna do squat. Until a majority of the people reject the tyrants and refuse to follow their rules nothing will change.

I wasn't the one throwing stones, but you already knew that. And you have no idea what kind of jeopardy I'm currently in for being a refusenik, but carry on with your bad self keyboard warrior.
    "The Patriarch"

"They had balls enough to try. They went into the woods to live off the grid and start poking bears, throwing rocks at hornets nests and play Russian Roulette. They lived on their own terms."

Give me a $#@!ing break. They enslaved themselves to a narrative about how great the things were outside of the first world. This is the result.
    Do you even know why they went there? Don't google it, just answer.
    "The Patriarch"

Do you even know why they went there? Don't google it, just answer.
    Yes, they were running from a drug charge.

Yes, they were running from a drug charge.
    Why?
    "The Patriarch"

Why?
    Because they're ideologically opposed to drug prohibition and didn't want to go to jail for a victimless crime, I would imagine.

You aren't going to affect $#@! towards reducing the police state. I don't think you believe what you just typed. Sitting on this forum 24/7 ain't gonna do squat. Until a majority of the people reject the tyrants and refuse to follow their rules nothing will change.
    I will live long enough to be able to do more in the future and you have no idea what else I do right now.

I wasn't the one throwing stones, but you already knew that.
    So saying that I "kneel" isn't throwing a stone?

And you have no idea what kind of jeopardy I'm currently in for being a refusenik, but carry on with your bad self keyboard warrior.
    I have a pretty good idea and I don't criticize you because there is merit to your position and at least as far as I know you don't do brain meltingly stupid things that drive people away from the movement like this guy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because they're ideologically opposed to drug prohibition and didn't want to go to jail for a victimless crime, I would imagine.
    Now, I can't verify the truth of this but it really shouldn't matter;

In a separate video posted to a YouTube channel called Press For Truth, John and Lily described how, in early 2016, they fled drug charges in the U.S. John said they each faced up to 25 years in prison for manufacture of a controlled substance - specifically, condensing marijuana into powerful extracts - that Lily used for chronic pain.
    "The Patriarch"

I will live long enough to be able to do more in the future and you have no idea what else I do right now.

So saying that I "kneel" isn't throwing a stone?

I have a pretty good idea and I don't criticize you because there is merit to your position and at least as far as I know you don't do brain meltingly stupid things that drive people away from the movement like this guy.
    How do you know how long you will live? Do you have some vision of the future? I meant Paleo was the one throwing stones before you put yourself into it, but you already knew that.
    "The Patriarch"

Now, I can't verify the truth of this but it really shouldn't matter;
    Obviously, that shouldn't be a crime, but I'm not chastising them for fleeing or even fleeing to Mexico. I'm chastising them for believing that a worldwide murder capital was safe, going down there and competing with some of the most brutal killers on Earth. There was only one way that was going to end. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I'm out. Being called to spend time, anyway, pretty much said all I want.
    "The Patriarch"

How do you know how long you will live? Do you have some vision of the future?
    We could all die any minute but statistics say I am very likely to live for decades more and throwing it away while also making liberty people look bad would be quite foolish.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm usually pretty harsh, but their brains aren't even fully developed. Life teaches lessons, but we're allowed to mourn when people die when attempting to live free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast