Thread: Mary Poppins branded racist by US academic over scene where she gets covered in soot

Exclamation Mary Poppins branded racist by US academic over scene where she gets covered in soot

Mary Poppins branded racist by US academic over scene where she gets covered in soot

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4056126.html

The classic family film Mary Poppins has been branded racist by a US academic who accuses Dame Julie Andrews of 'blacking up' with soot while dancing with chimney sweeps.

In a piece for the New York Times, Professor Daniel Pollack-Pelzner criticises one of the film's iconic moments, when Mary Poppins joins Dick Van Dyke's Bert to dance on a rooftop for the classic song Step in Time.

He writes: "When the magical nanny (played by Julie Andrews) accompanies her young charges, Michael and Jane Banks, up their chimney, her face gets covered in soot, but instead of wiping it off, she gamely powders her nose and cheeks even blacker."

"This might seem like an innocuous comic scene if Travers’s novels didn’t associate chimney sweeps’ blackened faces with racial caricature. “Don’t touch me, you black heathen,” a housemaid screams in “Mary Poppins Opens the Door” (1943)."

"When the dark figures of the chimney sweeps Step in Time on a roof, a naval buffoon, Admiral Boom shouts, “We’re being attacked by Hottentots!” and orders his cannon to be fired at the “cheeky devils”.

"We’re in on the joke, such as it is: These aren’t really black Africans; they’re grinning white dancers in blackface. It’s a parody of black menace; it’s even posted on a white nationalist website as evidence of the film’s racial hierarchy."

Fans were divided over the professor's remarks.

One wrote online: "I think this is a reach. She was friends with a chimney sweep. When she went out and danced with him she got soot on her face if I recall this correctly."

Another wrote: "Mary Poppins wasn’t flirting with black face! It was soot in their faces from being a chimney!!!"

A third said: "This is a candidate for the stupidest New York Times article of all time."

However others agreed with some of the points raised.

Michael Schulman, ,a writer for the New Yorker said: "This made me think about class, too - how Mary Poppins, a posh domestic, scrambles the class divide and introduces Jane & Michael to the much more fun world of pleb chimney sweeps. Further scrambled in the sequel when the Bankses are also in the poorhouse."

Author Mr Pollack-Pelzner posted online after his article was published: "The chief reason I wrote this article was the hope that a Disney exec would read it, take another look at the forthcoming Dumbo remake, and ask if there was anything just a little bit racist they might want to rethink before it hits the big screen.

"Here’s one thing I’ve learned about the alt-right, after I wrote this article and received a zillion hate messages in response: they sure like Mary Poppins!"
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mary Poppin's Mentor was Humpty Dumpty, I know that for a fact, so it's
    true , its all true.

branded racist by a US academic who accuses Dame Julie Andrews of 'blacking up'
    That's a bit of a stretch.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Every time one of these abnormal whiners starts whining, they should be called on the carpet. Most all normal people disagree with this kind of stuff, but $#@! their pants instead of speaking up.

The San Francisco radio station likely lied when it talked about their listeners being outraged by the Christmas song Baby, It's Cold Outside.

These people need to be put on the defensive and called on the carpet every single time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I suspect a poll on Mary Poppins would yield about the same results as the poll for Baby It's Cold Outside.

92% Normal
    8% Abnormal

The station said it posted a poll about the song [Baby It's Cold Outside] on its website and a clear majority of respondents supported the decision to remove the song from the station’s lineup.

Poll results were not visible on the station's website. However, a poll on the station's Facebook page showed that among more than 600 votes by Thursday night, 92% of respondents favored playing the song while just 8% felt it was inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch.

Agreed, Complete nonsense.

Blacks make racial stabs at Whites its comedy lol.
    Whites make fun of Black in situation comedy , its 'racist' , PC needs to be locked up.
    And this has nothing to do with Mary Poppins, Professor Daniel Idiot Putz can go to hell.
    -
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 02-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.

This man is an expert....

...at dick tucking. So tightly he can go $#@! himself.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This man is an expert....

...at dick tucking. So tightly he can go $#@! himself.
    Clearly a low IQ individual.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If You See Anything More Than Soot...

He's the racist one, bringing race into something that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

I swear, social Marxism is a mental disease.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

People have no idea what blackface even means nowadays. It's when a white puts black paint on their face in order to caricature black people, complete with enormous lips, exaggerated gestures and silly speech like "lawdy" or "mammy". It's not when any white person has anything black on their face. These $#@!ing people.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    People have no idea what blackface even means nowadays. It's when a white puts black paint on their face in order to caricature black people, complete with enormous lips, exaggerated gestures and silly speech like "lawdy" or "mammy". It's not when any white person has anything black on their face. These $#@!ing people.
    Blackface:

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I will never apologize for anyone in Blackface , nor white face, people
    need to stop promoting certain groups as untouchable and above
    poking fun of or just doing plain characterizations of same.
    The NWO wants everyone to cower every time they get ready to speak,
    'make certain that you are complying with Federal guidelines' .