Thread: Study: Hospital Food Leads To Malnutrition

Study: Hospital Food Leads To Malnutrition

When my mother was in the hospital, the first thing I noticed was the crappy food they served her. So while she slept, I went home and made her nutritious meals and brought them to her. By feeding her well, her strength got better with each day.

Study: Hospital Food Leads To Malnutrition

A new study found that many patients in hospitals are malnourished because they're not eating the food provided to them by the facilities.

MarketWatch cited a recent study, the results of which were published in the Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, as saying hospital food is turning people off to the point that it's detrimental to their health.

Fifty-one percent of patients, for example, leave most of their meals untouched during hospital stays. Good nutrition is even more important after injuries, illnesses, and surgeries because it helps the body heal and stave off infection.

"Malnutrition can be invisible to the eye and is rampant in U.S. hospitals because it's not always top of mind," Nutrition Day founder and president Gail Gewirtz told MarketWatch. "Our data shows that one warning sign — poor food intake — is very common in hospitals, and this is something healthcare providers can easily look out for and address."

Registered dietician Abby Sauer, the study's lead author, did say that patients might not be hungry when they're hospitalized, putting the onus on hospitals to serve the right meals.

"Patients don't always have the best appetite or desire to eat while in the hospital, so it's important to create an environment and serve up options that promote optimal food intake," Sauer said.

Almost 10,000 patients at 245 hospitals participated in the study, which concluded that one-third of hospitalized adults face a risk of malnutrition because of a lack of eating.
    https://www.newsmax.com/health/healt...zen.yandex.com
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, it is mass created cafeteria food. And then you have to take into account special dietary concerns. So, yeah, home cooked broths and meals are a must. Many, especially the elderly lose appetite. Broth and protein shakes can go a long way to revitalizing health.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, it is mass created cafeteria food. And then you have to take into account special dietary concerns. So, yeah, home cooked broths and meals are a must. Many, especially the elderly lose appetite. Broth and protein shakes can go a long way to revitalizing health.
    My mother is a diabetic and they were loading her down with carbs, her sugar levels were over 500. The staff would tell me that was due to her sickness and just administered a sliding scale of insulin.

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

Hospitals are where you go to die.
    Once upon a time they were a place you went to be healed.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Stay away from hospitals if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Stay away from hospitals if at all possible.
    This^^ In my experience, hospice and various long term elderly care are pretty $#@!ty too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    When my mother was in the hospital, the first thing I noticed was the crappy food they served her. So while she slept, I went home and made her nutritious meals and brought them to her. By feeding her well, her strength got better with each day.

https://www.newsmax.com/health/healt...zen.yandex.com
    The food is not very nutritious that way they can sell you on their ensure shakes. I can't confirm this but I am sure the docs make money by putting orders for those protein shakes.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

I've heard 400,000 per year , but wth to I know........

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The food is not very nutritious that way they can sell you on their ensure shakes. I can't confirm this but I am sure the docs make money by putting orders for those protein shakes.
    Yes they pushed the baby formula for adults on her too. Glucerna is what they pushed.

Here are the lovely ingredients:

Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil. Less than 2% of: Glycerin, Fructose, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Maltodextrin, Corn Oil, Soluble Corn Fiber, Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Cellulose Gel, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Salt, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Monoglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Turmeric Color, Acesulfame Potassium, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Sucralose, Ferrous Sulfate, Gellan Gum, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Red 3, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Copper Sulfate, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Selenate, Phylloquinone, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin B12.
    Notice most of the vitamins and minerals are listed last...which means there is very little in each drink.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yes they pushed the baby formula for adults on her too. Glucerna is what they pushed.

Here are the lovely ingredients:

Notice most of the vitamins and minerals are listed last...which means there is very little in each drink.
    Well, items are listed by weight so micronutrients would tend to be at the bottom. Also those shakes are actually good for u. I have seen it do wonders on malnourished patients.

The problem I have with them is the fact that they are generally more expensive than cooked meals and the patient goes home with a habit of shake drinking.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

This has been one of the first thing Ive noticed with friends of mine who have been admitted to a hospital as well... I always believe they need to get out of the hospital ASAP so they can get some nutritious food into them.

I live in a medical Mecca that is very competive. I have been hospitalized twice in the last 10 years or so. I had a lot of choices. There was a menu in my room and I made choices from that. It was all pretty delicious. It wasn’t bone broth and organic vegetables, but it was very good. I got pretty much what I wanted.

Cutting edge, competitive hospitals are paying attention to nutrition and amenities. Actually in this town, nutrition is part of almost every doctor’s patient protocol, and I mean more than lowering salt and sugar. They are all talking about nutrition to their patient and often give referrals to nutritionists.
    Do something Dodgers.