Thread: Major DNA Testing Company Sharing Genetic Data With the FBI

Major DNA Testing Company Sharing Genetic Data With the FBI

The decision by a prominent consumer DNA-testing company to share data with federal law enforcement means investigators have access to genetic information linked to hundreds of millions of people.

FamilyTreeDNA, an early pioneer of the rapidly growing market for consumer genetic testing, confirmed late Thursday that it has granted the Federal Bureau of Investigation access to its vast trove of nearly 2 million genetic profiles. The arrangement was first reported by BuzzFeed News.

Concerns about unfettered access to genetic information gathered by testing companies have swelled since April, when police used a genealogy website to ensnare a suspect in the decades-old case of the Golden State Killer. But that site, GEDmatch, was open-source, meaning police were able to upload crime-scene DNA data to the site without permission. The latest arrangement marks the first time a commercial testing company has voluntarily given law enforcement access to user data.

The move is of concern to more than just privacy-minded FamilyTreeDNA customers. One person sharing genetic information also exposes those to whom they are closely related. Thatís how police caught the alleged Golden State Killer. A study last year estimated that only 2 percent of the population needs to have done a DNA test for virtually everyoneís genetic information to be represented in that data.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...i?srnd=premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if most will take pause in sending off their DNA to these various genealogy companies after this latest news gets out. Probably not a peep out of them. So, how many other genealogy companies will follow suit?
    ClydeCoulter on the Liberty Movement:
    Yeah, they'll argue over roads and religion, but there are certain themes that bind, among those are freedom and the search for truth and justice.

Loyalists gonna loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I wonder if most will take pause in sending off their DNA to these various genealogy companies after this latest news gets out. Probably not a peep out of them. So, how many other genealogy companies will follow suit?
    If they get your brothers DNA, they've got yours.

I bet the black market organ hunters have access too.
    Now what could possibly go wrong?

Maybe they can categorize DNA into groups like they do with blood type. A, B, O. Develop groups of DNA and then determine pretty accurately a sub group that the suspect falls into eliminating all other sub groups.

I paused and read the privacy policy and terms agreed to before I sent mine off.

Nope. They will not pause.

I didn't start out thinking that anti-vax people were fools or impervious to reason, it's from my experience here that I now think that.
    - AmyPi 2014 (RIP)

Anti-vaxxers, responsible for a 30 percent uptick in totally preventable diseases in the world, have blood on their hands. They shouldn't be considered civilized members of society. If they refuse to listen to a century of scientific studies confirming time and time again that vaccination is an unquestionable good for humanity, then it's time for us to start treating anti-vaxxers as what they are: dangerous and worthy of shame and condemnation. If we can't convince anti-vaxxers to change their minds, we must attach enough social stigma to the delusion that agnostics cease to join them.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We've reached it. The dystopian novels of my youth. Between replicated DNA and "deep fake" video anyone, anywhere, can be convicted of any crime.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I paused and read the privacy policy and terms agreed to before I sent mine off.
    https://www.23andme.com/about/privacy/

We do not share customer data with any public databases.
    We will not provide any person’s data (genetic or non-genetic) to an insurance company or employer.
    We will not provide information to law enforcement or regulatory authorities unless required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or Personal Information (visit our Transparency Report).
    And more:
    https://www.23andme.com/transparency-report/

Can you trust them?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Out of curiosity, did they mention anything about sharing it with the FBI.

I've actually really wanted to do this but it just never felt right to me. I really wish they had an at home test - like a pregnancy test or one of those drug tests I've seen at the Dollar Tree (I considered putting one of those in my kids stockings at Christmas).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I've actually really wanted to do this but it just never felt right to me. I really wish they had an at home test - like a pregnancy test or one of those drug tests I've seen at the Dollar Tree (I considered putting one of those in my kids stockings at Christmas).
    I didn't have a choice. My sister did a 23andme. It wasn't just her DNA to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Read the links in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Can you trust them?
    I figure, as much as any doctor or lab work outfit. At least they are transparent and actively claiming to be privacy minded.
    They have a lot more to lose through cooperating with the cops than forcing the cops to jump through the hoops for warrants and subpoenas.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-01-2019 at 09:08 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I didn't have a choice. My sister did a 23andme. It wasn't just her DNA to give away.
    You don't have the same DNA as your sister..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You don't have the same DNA as your sister..
    It is close enough to match. DW found out about an unknown half aunt, and 2 half cousins (separate family lines) through it, the system matches up magically. It even correctly predicted the exact relation.

It is close enough to match. DW found out about an unknown half aunt, and 2 half cousins (separate family lines) through it, the system matches up magically. It even correctly predicted the exact relation.
    I was wondering why one of my daughters was asking about some lady in South Africa who may be an Aunt .
    Do something Danke

So what happens when 3rd Party Companies BUY your DNA from the Genetic Testers?

They wont be bound by the same Terms of Service. Terms of Service change so often they are about as permanent as a haircut. Sure, many people will fall for the marketing and send their DNA when they think the Terms of Service protect them. So they send their DNA, then the TOS changes, and these companies discover they can make even more money from you by selling all the information about you to 3rd Parties, who then make money by charging you more for some illness / genetic condition / increased insurance rates.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.