Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign troops to quit Afghanistan in 18 months under draft deal

U.S. and Taliban negotiators have made progress toward a draft agreement that includes a U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and a Taliban pledge to counter terrorism as both sides concluded their fifth round of talks in Doha, U.S. special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad announced via Twitter on March 12.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...th-round-talks
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The fifth round of negotiations in Qatar taking place between the US and Taliban negotiators recently concluded, and it was the most fruitful round yet. They have reached an “agreement in draft” regarding certain key issues.
    U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad announced the good news in a series of Twitter posts:

(1/4) Just finished a marathon round of talks with the Taliban in #Doha. The conditions for #peace have improved. It’s clear all sides want to end the war. Despite ups and downs, we kept things on track and made real strides.
    — U.S. Special Representative Zalmay Khalilzad (@US4AfghanPeace) March 12, 2019
    (2/4) Peace requires agreement on four issues: counter-terrorism assurances, troop withdrawal, intra-Afghan dialogue, and a comprehensive ceasefire. In January talks, we “agreed in principle” on these four elements. We’re now “agreed in draft” on the first two.

(3/4) When the agreement in draft about a withdrawal timeline and effective counterterrorism measures is finalized, the Taliban and other #Afghans, including the government, will begin intra-Afghan negotiations on a political settlement and comprehensive ceasefire.
    (4/4) My next step is discussions in Washington and consultations with other partners. We will meet again soon, and there is no final agreement until everything is agreed.
    The progress is flying in the face of what warmongering neoconservatives, who formed the foreign policy consensus during the George W. Bush administration, have been saying about Trump’s engagement of the Taliban.
    “If you tell the Taliban that we are absolutely leaving on date certain, cutting down, weakening ourselves, their incentives to try to cut a deal drop dramatically,” said disgraced former Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who led wars during the Bush and Obama administrations, on ABC’s “This Week” last year

“The notion that we’re somehow going to have a negotiated deal with the Taliban, that we can take their word that they won’t allow al Qaeda to have safe havens again, is, in my view, irresponsible,” Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) said to Jake Tapper of CNN last month
    “While it is tempting to retreat to the comfort and security of our own shores, there is still a great deal of work to be done,” Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said about the possibility of withdrawal. “And we know that left untended, these conflicts will reverberate in our own cities.”
    Even Trump’s own national security adviser John Bolton looks like a buffoon for his previous predictions regarding US engagement of the Taliban.
    “The lesson for us is that we need to be there much longer than we were in the case of Iraq. We see chaos there, and I think if the administration continues to push for withdrawal from Afghanistan, we will see chaos there,” Bolton said during an appearance on FOX News in 2014.

The whining of these GOP dinosaurs only deepens the chasm between the Republican Party of Bush and the new Republican Party of Trump. The policies of engagement – whether happening with the Taliban in Afghanistan or Kim Jong-un in North Korea – are yielding encouraging results, and the days of the US empire serving as the world’s policeman may be coming to an end as a result.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/trumps...-breakthrough/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Very hopeful indeed.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

To be devil's advocate, if US taxpayesr funded troops left Iraq and Afghanistan , how else can Iran be surrounded from both sides?

It's fashionable lately among America-Frst purists to call for ending foreign interventions and for troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc to be brought home but can America continue current progress without militarily supporting our closest allies abroad?

https://twitter.com/cufi/status/1004143362285457408

Following article by respected neoconservative Dennis Prager is few years old but threat of extremist radicalization in mideast still exists and our allies are still vulnerable.

This news is from yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

The Immorality of Leaving Iraq and Afghanistan

By Dennis Prager

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...dennis-prager/

Afghanistan summoned a senior Pakistani diplomat on Saturday to account for remarks by Prime Minister Imran Khan speculating about a new government in Kabul following a possible peace settlement.The summons by the Afghan foreign affairs ministry marked the second time in just over three weeks that Kabul has demanded an explanation from Pakistan, illustrating the longstanding tensions between the two neighbours at a sensitive time.
    Khan, at a rally in Bajaur, in northwestern Pakistan on Friday, predicted "mutual peace" in Afghanistan as an outcome of recurring talks between the United States and the Taliban to end the country's 17-year-old war.
    "A good government will come in Afghanistan," Khan said. "I mean a government will come in which all will be represented. War will end and there will be peace."
    The Afghan ministry summoned Pakistan's counsellor to clarify the remarks, spokesperson Sibghatullah Ahmadi tweeted.
    "Afghanistan expressed its grave objection on Pakistan's government and deemed such remarks a flagrant interference in its internal affairs," he said.
    In February, the ministry summoned Pakistani ambassador Zahid Nasrullah Khan over his remarks that Afghan peace talks could be affected if India resorted to violence against Pakistan.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kabul...170233810.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Afghan national security adviser Hamdullah Mohib is no longer welcome in Washington after he criticized Kabul's exclusion from peace talks between Washington and the Taliban, U.S. Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale has informed Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, Reuters reported March 18.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...on-after-peace

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    U.S. diplomats walk out amid growing tensions with Afghan government

By Carlo Muñoz - The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 26, 2019

U.S. diplomats walked out of a senior-level meeting with Afghan officials Tuesday to protest biting criticisms from the country’s national security chief over the Trump administration’s direct peace talks with the Taliban that have excluded Kabul.
    The American officials had gathered at the presidential palace in Kabul as part of a trilateral meeting between U.S. representatives, several NATO ambassadors and top level members of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s government, according to local reports.
    A number of members in the American delegation abruptly left Tuesday’s meeting once Afghan National Security Adviser Hamdullah Mohib arrived, Afghan news outlet Tolo News reported.
    Mr. Mohib, who served as the Afghan ambassador to the U.S. before joining Mr. Ghani’s cabinet, on a trip to Washington earlier this month openly condemned U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad’s intensifying talks with senior Taliban leaders on a peace deal and U.S. troop withdrawal.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...nsions-afghan/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Afghan government summoned a Pakistan diplomat to explain Prime Minister Imran Khan's latest remarks on ongoing Afghan peace talks, as tensions flared between the neighboring countries once again.Afghanistan's ministry of foreign affairs summoned the diplomat to object about remarks that it deemed "explicit interference" in Afghan affairs, the ministry's spokesman, Sibghatullah Ahmadi, said on Twitter.
    It marks the fourth time in about a month and a half that Kabul has demanded an explanation from Islamabad for comments related to peace talks aimed at ending 17 years of war in Afghanistan.
    In late March, Afghanistan recalled its ambassador from Islamabad for Khan's suggestion that forming an interim Afghan government might smooth peace talks between U.S. and Taliban officials. The ambassador returned shortly after Pakistan clarified Khan's remarks as being reported out of context.
    But on Friday, Khan addressed the matter again at a rally in Pakistan in which he explained his original comments as "brotherly advice," according to accounts published in Afghan media.
    "Afghanistan considers recent statements of Imran Khan explicit interference in internal affairs of Afghanistan and deems PM's remarks a return to his previous stance," Ahmadi tweeted.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's mandate officially expires in May. The date for the next presidential election has been postponed twice and is now set for Sept. 28.
    Ghani has been shut out from the peace talks and is under pressure from rivals to step aside and allow a caretaker government to take over, a suggestion he has rejected.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/afghanistan-s...153842325.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Taliban officials said U.S. negotiators on Saturday agreed a draft peace deal
    Why does the Taliban even have "officials"??

I would have thought we bombed all of them long ago - I guess we still have some work to do.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/...37394580348928

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

“Orderly And Responsible Withdrawal”: U.S. Officially Admits It Lost War In Afghanistan
    https://southfront.org/orderly-and-r...n-afghanistan/

The US officially admitted that it had lost the 18-year long war in Afghanistan.
    During the April 25 trilateral meeting of special representatives of President of Russia, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China and State Department of the USA on Afghanistan,
    the sides officially called for “an orderly and responsible withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan as part of the overall peace process.”
    The US de-facto called for withdrawal of its own troops and their NATO allies.

Furthermore, the US, China and Russia admitted the Taliban’s “commitment” to fight ISIS and “cut ties” with al-Qaeda and ”other international terrorist groups.” Therefore, Washington, Beijing and Moscow largely recognized that the Taliban as a legal political power, not a terrorist group.
    It’s important to point out the part about fighting ISIS. Previously, US officials have repeatedly accused the Taliban of cooperating with ISIS and put them on one level.
    Trilateral Consensus on Afghan Peace Process by Russia, China and the United States (source):
    http://www.mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/...nguageId=en_GB
    (Adopted at the meeting of special representatives of President of Russia, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China and State Department of the USA on Afghanistan, Moscow, April 25, 2019)

1. The three sides respect the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Afghanistan as well as its right to choose its development path.
    The three sides prioritize the interests of the Afghan people in promoting a peace process.

2. The three sides support an inclusive Afghan-led, Afghan-owned peace process and are ready to provide necessary assistance.
    The three sides encourage the Afghan Taliban to participate in peace talks with a broad, representative Afghan delegation that includes the government as soon as possible.
    Toward this end, and as agreed in Moscow in February 2019, we support a second round of intra-Afghan dialogue in Doha (Qatar).

3. The three sides support the Afghan government efforts to combat international terrorism and extremist organizations in Afghanistan.
    They take note of the Afghan Taliban’s commitment to: fight ISIS and cut ties with Al-Qaeda, ETIM, and other international terrorist groups;
    ensure the areas they control will not be used to threaten any other country; and call on them to prevent terrorist recruiting, training, and fundraising, and expel any known terrorists.

4. The three sides recognize the Afghan people’s strong desire for a comprehensive ceasefire. As a first step, we call on all parties to agree on immediate and concrete steps to reduce violence.

5. The three sides stress the importance of fighting illegal drug production and trafficking, and call on the Afghan government and the Taliban to take all the necessary steps to eliminate the drug threat in Afghanistan.

6. The three sides call for an orderly and responsible withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan as part of the overall peace process.

7. The three sides call for regional countries to support this trilateral consensus and are ready to build a more extensive regional and international consensus on Afghanistan.

8. The three sides agreed on a phased expansion of their consultations before the next trilateral meeting in Beijing. The date and composition of the meeting will be agreed upon through diplomatic channels.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Faux is not in charge.

[/SIZE]
    Time to leave.
    To be devil's advocate, if Iran sanctions being placed did not work and Adelson/AIPAC or Ivanka convinced MAGA to start war with Iran to defend our closest allies in mideast and human rights freedom in Iran, how in the world that would be feasible without any military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq to surround Iran from both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    To be devil's advocate, if Iran sanctions being placed did not work and Adelson/AIPAC ir Ivanka convinced MAGA to start war with Iran to defend our closest allies in mideast and human rights freedom in Iran, how in the world that would be feasible without any military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq to surround Iran from both sides?
    Another good reason to leave.

Isn't it great that DJTvsg is getting us out?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2019/04/2...hanistan-ever/

Peace in Afghanistan: Can US Recipe be cherished in Afghanistan ever?

After several rounds of US Taliban Peace Talks in Doha, the reluctantly agreed upon 'so-called intra-Afghan dialogue’ scheduled on April 19, 2019 was abruptly cancelled on April 18 amid seemingly insignificant disagreements about the size and composition of the Afghan delegation, which Taliban objected to.US State Department conveyed their disappointment to President Ghani on April 21 and condemned the Taliban’s announcement of starting another offensive in the spring. It however was waiting to happen, as Taliban was in no mood to talk to present Afghan Government calling them a puppet Government of foreign powers. Afghanistan current regime is also not too happy with a sense of isolation in various rounds of US – Taliban Peace Talks without their participation, as Taliban continued terror attacks on them.

The Reality of Afghanistan

After 17 years of war Taliban seized more territory and controls at least 50% of the country. Taliban cannot be relied upon for any kind of peace settlement for the time being with Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar as their Chief negotiator, released from Pakistani jail last year, who has political ambitions, and has held various appointments in erstwhile Taliban Government prior to US invasion. They will eventually find reasons to rule the country, even if they promise to allow a peaceful democratic solution. The Government in power under President Ghani and CEO Abdullah do not give the confidence of being on the same page or being strong enough to face Taliban all by themselves. Taliban is unlikely to give up the ambition of ruling through Sharia laws, irrespective of the liberalised wordings they have been using during peace talks, because they have radicalised cadre, which needs to be satisfied by their leaders. The people may not be too happy as a large segment of population has got used to some liberties like women working at common place with men. Afghan military is not yet strong enough to take on Taliban in the entire country. It still needs lot of training, capability and military hardware. With continuous attacks by Taliban and splinter groups of Daesh getting into Afghanistan, peace is a distant dream.

Significance of US-Taliban Peace Talks

During US- Taliban Peace talks, there seemed to be some consensus regarding ‘Issues of Framework Agreement’. In principle US has agreed for phased withdrawal from Afghanistan after the final agreement. Timelines for withdrawal however have not been agreed as Taliban wants withdrawal in eighteen months and US is suggesting a period of five years linking it with implementation of agreement. Taliban have agreed to not to allow any terrorist group to operate from Afghan territory including getting rid of all foreign terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda. This however is unrealistic and in my opinion, unlikely to happen. A comprehensive ceasefire to pave way for electoral process was commonly agreed to but is lacking implementation. The main issues still under discussion had been withdrawal of US and its allies’ troops from Afghanistan in a phased manner from Afghanistan along with implementation of other clauses of the final peace agreement. Taliban had declined talks with present Afghan Government, but later reluctantly agreed to Intra Afghanistan Talks with all stake holders including present Afghanistan Government to reach consensus amongst all, which have now been called off.

The US Taliban exclusive peace talks have isolated the present regime in power under President Ghani. It is clear that unless the present democratically elected Government is on board, no peaceful elections can take place, even after expiry of its term in September this year. The democratic peaceful elections are unlikely in near future unless intra Afghanistan talks take place. The ingress of pockets of Daesh in Afghanistan make situation even more complex. US want to withdraw as per their time table and President Trump wants to make such announcement before the next election. President Trump’s decision to withdraw from Afghanistan will definitely alter the strategic balance in favor of Taliban, Pakistan, China and Russia. It however poses a question mark that is US willing to concede this important strategic space in Af-Pak region to its competitors so easily, after 17 years of war, knowing that China and Pakistan are waiting to grab it? Is domestic pressure on President Trump is so heavy due to election promises made by him. In an interview to CNN he had indicated that Russia, China, India and Pakistan should replace US troops in Afghanistan and resolve this problem as a regional issue. In my opinion treating it is a regional issue may not be realistic, because with radicalisation of Pakistan, growing strength of Taliban, and some existence of al Qaeda, Haqqani network and Daesh, I see a large caliphate in making, with levers of power with radicalized organisations. If the entire globe had to put in synergised effort to deal with Taliban and Daesh earlier, it is going to be even more difficult when the new grouping of radicalised elements emerges again.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-27-2019 at 05:04 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    U.S. agrees with Russia, China on pulling troops from Afghanistan
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-afghanistan/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Hoping to renew the push for direct talks with the Taliban, Ghani has convened a grand consultative assembly on Monday.
    The Loya Jirga, a traditional gathering of elders, religious scholars, and prominent Afghans, will see more than 3,000 people gather amid tight security for four days of discussion under a large tent in Kabul.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/afghan-peace-...145737226.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Hoping to renew the push for direct talks with the Taliban, Ghani has convened a grand consultative assembly on Monday.
    The Loya Jirga, a traditional gathering of elders, religious scholars, and prominent Afghans, will see more than 3,000 people gather amid tight security for four days of discussion under a large tent in Kabul.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/afghan-peace-...145737226.html
    Afghanistan's president is hosting a grand council Monday of some 2,500 prominent figures to agree on a shared approach to peace talks with the Taliban, but the gathering instead looks to further aggravate divisions within the U.S.-backed government.President Ashraf Ghani hopes to showcase unity at the gathering — known as Loya Jirga — that brings together politicians, tribal elders and other prominent figures.
    But Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, his partner in a unity government brokered by the United States after a bitterly disputed election in 2014, heads a list of no-shows.

"If Abdullah and his supporters don't attend, there's going to be a glaring absence of key stakeholders that will diminish the event's credibility in a big way," said Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia Program at the Washington-based Wilson Center.
    "Given all the divides in Afghanistan, there is as much of a need for reconciliation within Afghanistan as there is for reconciliation with the Taliban."

The Loya Jirga, a deeply-rooted tradition aimed at building consensus among Afghanistan's various ethnic groups, tribes and factions, was intended to strengthen Ghani's hand. Instead, it risks being seen as a meaningless gathering of his loyalists.
    "The problem is that the whole enterprise appears to have become completely politicized, which means that the Loya Jirga could well drive the country further apart rather than bring it together," Kugelman said.
    The Americans appear increasingly impatient with Ghani, with Khalilzad tweeting his frustration after the talks fell apart. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Ghani to urge him to join the talks in Doha, where the Taliban maintain an office.
    Even Pakistan, which the U.S. and Afghanistan regularly accuse of aiding insurgents, issued a statement saying talks were the only path to peace in Afghanistan. It promised not to interfere in Afghanistan's internal affairs and even condemned the Taliban's recent announcement of the start of their annual spring offensive.
    "The so called offensives are condemnable and will undermine the peace process. It is not right to seek an edge in dialogue through coercion." Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan said. "Pakistan will not be party to any internal conflict in Afghanistan anymore."
    Over the weekend, Khalilzad tweeted his approval of Khan's statement. The U.S. envoy recently met with representatives of China and Russia, saying there is an "emerging international consensus on the U.S. approach to end the war and assurances terrorism never again emanates from Afghanistan."
    The State Department said the three countries called for intra-Afghan talks, urged a cease-fire and supported "an orderly and responsible withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan as part of the overall peace process."
    The statement also said the Taliban have agreed to fight Islamic State militants in Afghanistan and sever ties with al-Qaida, the Eastern Turkestan Islamic Movement and other militant groups. It said the Taliban have promised to "ensure the areas they control will not be used to threaten any other country." The statement called on the Taliban "to prevent terrorist recruiting, training, and fundraising, and expel any known terrorists."

A Taliban official familiar with the talks said the two sides are still haggling over a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops, with the Taliban demanding six months and the U.S. seeking 18 months. The Taliban official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media.
    But even as Khalilzad closes in on an agreement with the Taliban, he appears increasingly at odds with the Kabul government.
    During a visit to Washington last month, Ghani's national security adviser, Hamdullah Mohib, accused Khalilzad of personal ambitions and sidelining the government. Ghani did not respond to those comments, and Mohib remains in his post.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/afghan-presid...052707904.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I suspect that the final deal, if there is one, will set the deadline soon enough to get everyone hopped up, but far enough into the future that no one will remember when nothing happens (like those huge spending cuts the GOP is always talking about implementing in the semi-distant future).

Taliban and U.S. officials will begin their sixth round of talks in Doha on May 1, although officials from the Afghan government remain on the sidelines as the Taliban continue to oppose Kabul's participation, Reuters reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...th-round-talks

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

GTFO already.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

May 1, 2019

U.S. military stops tracking key metric on Afghan war as situation deteriorates

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military has stopped tracking the amount of territory controlled or influenced by the Afghan government and militants, a U.S. watchdog said on Tuesday, one of the last remaining public metrics that tracked the worsening security situation in the war-torn country.

FILE PHOTO: An Afghan man rides on a bicycle past the site of a car bomb attack where U.S soldiers were killed near Bagram air base, Afghanistan April 9, 2019. REUTERS/Mohammad Ismail/File Photo

The move comes as U.S. and Taliban officials have held several rounds of talks aimed at ensuring a safe exit for U.S. forces in return for a Taliban guarantee that Afghanistan will not be used by militants to threaten the rest of the world.
    The Taliban announced the start of a spring offensive in early April. Even before the announcement, combat had intensified across Afghanistan in recent weeks and hundreds of Afghan troops and civilians have been killed.
    The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) said in a report published late Tuesday night that the U.S. military had told the watchdog it was no longer tracking the level of control or influence the Afghan government and militants had over districts in the country.

DIMINISHING ACCOUNTABILITY

Over the past few years, the U.S. military has restricted data on the Afghan war being shared with the public, including the size of the security forces, casualty numbers and the attrition rate for the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF).
    In 2018, the U.S. military said a “human error in labeling” caused it to treat as classified information the amount of territory controlled or influenced by the Taliban and the Afghan government.
    The rest of the report painted a bleak picture of the security situation in Afghanistan.
    Citing numbers from Resolute Support, SIGAR said the monthly average of enemy-initiated attacks increased by 19 percent from November 2018 through January 2019 compared to between August to October 2018.
    ANDSF casualties increased by about 31 percent from December through February compared to the same three-month period last year.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1S734C

The US special envoy tasked with forging a peace deal with the Taliban said Saturday that America stands ready for "all sides" to lay down arms in the 17-year conflict.Peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad is leading the latest round of talks with the Taliban in Doha, where the two foes are pursuing a deal that would see the withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan in return for Taliban security guarantees.
    "All sides laying down arms is the outcome of any peace process," Khalilzad tweeted.
    "All sides agreeing to reduce violence is a necessary step toward achieving that outcome and the morally responsible choice to make. We stand ready."
    Khalilzad's comments come a day after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said he was prepared to call an "immediate" and "permanent" ceasefire -- but the Taliban rebuffed the offer.
    Ghani had also offered to release 175 prisoners as a goodwill gesture. His talk of a ceasefire comes as momentum builds in various Afghan peace talks.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/envoy-says-us...114642155.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Taliban on Saturday said the gap is narrowing in talks with Washington's special peace envoy over a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan. The two sides are continuing to meet in Qatar, where the insurgent movement maintains a political office.In a voice message to The Associated Press, the Taliban spokesman in Doha, Suhail Shaheen, said both sides have offered new proposals for drawing down U.S. and NATO forces. This would be a significant initial step toward a deal to end nearly 18 years of war and America's longest military engagement.
    "There are proposals to lower the gap between the two sides, but (it) still needs negotiation to reach a final agreement," he said in an English language statement.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/taliban-gap-n...064634115.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The United States and the Taliban will open fresh negotiations next week, the US negotiator said Saturday, as he voiced hope for progress in ending America's longest war.Zalmay Khalilzad, the US special representative on Afghanistan, said the two sides would start their seventh round of talks on June 29.
    "Based on my recent visits to Afghanistan and Qatar, I believe all sides want rapid progress," Khalilzad wrote on Twitter.
    The State Department, announcing Khalilzad's travel before the date of the latest talks were set, said the negotiations with the Taliban would take place as usual in Qatar.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-taliban-ho...181845781.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The United States and the Taliban will open fresh negotiations next week, the US negotiator said Saturday, as he voiced hope for progress in ending America's longest war.Zalmay Khalilzad, the US special representative on Afghanistan, said the two sides would start their seventh round of talks on June 29.
    "Based on my recent visits to Afghanistan and Qatar, I believe all sides want rapid progress," Khalilzad wrote on Twitter.
    The State Department, announcing Khalilzad's travel before the date of the latest talks were set, said the negotiations with the Taliban would take place as usual in Qatar.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-taliban-ho...181845781.html

https://twitter.com/RisboLensky/stat...79041440395270

this is a fool's errand.
    Afghanistan has become utterly lawless... worse than it's ever been.
    don't 'negotiate' ffs.
    just.
    get.
    out.

want the truth?
    Ultimately Afghanistan is going to fall RIGHT into the lap of the new 'multi-polar' world 'collective' of SOVEREIGNS.

https://twitter.com/RisboLensky/stat...98630957445122
    Last edited by goldenequity; 06-23-2019 at 06:50 AM.

(rant alert... it's Sunday.)

I am WATCHING this world alliance of sovereigns CONTINUOUSLY strengthen against, defy and outwit the empire.
    Call them all 'commies' or 'reds' or 'socialists' or 'chicoms' or 'ruskies' or whatever supports or constrains ur world paradigm...
    but they are NOT the same. (and will never BE so.)
    India is not China... and will NEVER become so. Neither will Russia. Never. ever.

In FACT consider this:
    the 2 LARGEST populations on the planet (both with rampant rural squalor)
    have 2 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS of economics and governance.
    'Communist' China
    'Democratic/Capitalist' India

Which one has COMPLETELY outperformed the other across the last 2 decades?
    (this is NOT an 'apologetic' for communism. put down yer flag haha.)

It's a legitimate question and simple.
    The obvious 'answer' DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.
    I'm specifically talking about ECONOMICS.
    Both will function with WHAT THEY WANT.
    Who REALLY cares?

As far as Humanitarian abuses and 'shock' stories like 'organ trafficking etc'.
    Both have their 'totalitarian' excesses and abuses. Both.
    probably will NEVER change.
    MUCH of it stems from the poverty (across centuries) and the 'cheapness' of 'life'.
    PROSPERITY has a better chance of changing that....
    again: who 'outperformed' who?

The '50s' model of 'saving the world' from (fill in the blank) is a fallacy.
    shouting 'chicom'! 'chicom'! 'chicom'! or 'russia'! 'russia'! 'russia'!
    will never work AGAIN.... against an informed American public (I hope.)

anyway... I don't want to live in China. I don't want to live in Russia. I don't want to live in India.
    but...
    I wish them ALL
    success
    against THAT which seeks to undermine, subvert and subjugate all the sovereigns and take over the fuccking planet.

I 'keep' it that simple.
    back to the 'topic'....
    Afghanistan will 'give' themselves to the coming alliance. Russia, China and Iran will be INVITED in. watch.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 06-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast