Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trump banned from Capitol Building by Speaker Pelosi, No SOTU there

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...68895117176832

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I already showed it to you. Your partisan eyes just can't see it.

You'd have been able to make it out three years ago.
    That says they can decide how to conduct their meetings, it doesn't give them control of the building when they aren't using it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...68895117176832

I can't wait to see what happens when Trump shows up and starts to give his speech.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That says they can decide how to conduct their meetings, it doesn't give them control of the building when they aren't using it.
    I'm not so sure about that, but I don't think it's important enough to look up. Just so long as you're retracting your silly suggestion that Trump call Congress into session and force his way to the podium during that session, then I've done my part to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution.

I can't wait to see what happens when Trump shows up and starts to give his speech.
    Oh. So you do want to throw the Constitution out the window and appoint Trump God Emperor, and were lying when you said you didn't.

Thank the real God you don't have the power to do it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm not so sure about that, but I don't think it's important enough to look up. Just so long as you're retracting your silly suggestion that Trump call Congress into session and force his way to the podium during that session, then I've done my part to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution.
    LOL

He will call them into session from the podium after taking his place on it in preparation for fulfilling his Constitutional mandate.

Oh. So you do want to throw the Constitution out the window and appoint Trump God Emperor, and were lying when you said you didn't.

Thank the real God you don't have the power to do it.

There is nothing unconstitutional about him showing up at the Capitol building and calling on Congress to receive the SOTU.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Your spin would be more effective if you didn't interrupt your attempt to spin yourself to double down on your original position.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He doesn’t have to go to the capitol to give the report. He can give a speech anywhere he likes and send his report in writing. Whenever he likes. The January date is merely tradition.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

There is nothing unconstitutional about him showing up at the Capitol building and calling on Congress to receive the SOTU.
    Kind of like when Michael Scott declared bankruptcy?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Kind of like when Michael Scott declared bankruptcy?
    Enlighten me.

I have no idea who that is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Enlighten me.

I have no idea who that is.

I imagine Trump's constitutional authority to call on anyone to receive his SOTU is similarly efficacious.

I imagine Trump's constitutional authority to call on anyone to receive his SOTU is similarly efficacious.
    That's more like Nancy trying to stop him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's more like Nancy trying to stop him.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't see Nancy winning this. But I think that stretching the Constitutional mandate for a SOTU into something where the president can compel anyone to attend and listen to him against their will is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see Nancy winning this. But I think that stretching the Constitutional mandate for a SOTU into something where the president can compel anyone to attend and listen to him against their will is ridiculous.
    They won't be compelled, they will just look like the fools they are if they don't come.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They won't be compelled, they will just look like the fools they are if they don't come.
    To some.

Personally, I think the SOTU is a waste of time, and I wouldn't fault anyone for skipping it.

But it's not just that they won't be compelled, but also that Trump has no constitutional authority to compel them to even if he wanted to. That's kind of what was being debated.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To some.

Personally, I think the SOTU is a waste of time, and I wouldn't fault anyone for skipping it.

But it's not just that they won't be compelled, but also that Trump has no constitutional authority to compel them to even if he wanted to. That's kind of what was being debated.
    Compelling individuals to attend was never under discussion as far as I know, what is under discussion is whether he can hold the SOTU speech at the Capitol and call on Congress to attend.
    He can and all of the Republicans will attend and the SCOTUS Justices will attend (except RBG if she is dead or dying) and it is likely that many Demoncrats will defy Nancy and attend.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Compelling individuals to attend was never under discussion as far as I know, what is under discussion is whether he can hold the SOTU speech at the Capitol and call on Congress to attend.
    He can and all of the Republicans will attend and the SCOTUS Justices will attend (except RBG if she is dead or dying) and it is likely that many Demoncrats will defy Nancy and attend.
    Let's for a moment say this happens. Who would represent the democrats after the SOTU address? Would people that didn't attend be the go to for commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Let's for a moment say this happens. Who would represent the democrats after the SOTU address? Would people that didn't attend be the go to for commentary?
    I'm sure the media will all go to Nancy for the rebuttal and she will probably claim that holding the SOTU is an impeachable offense.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I honestly don't know if he can requisition the Capitol building for it without Congress's agreement to that. But as for "calling on them" to attend, sure, of course he could do that anyway, without needing any constitutional authority to do so, just as anyone can call on anyone else to do anything at all. As long as we're not talking about anything that carries any kind of authority to compel them with it.

I honestly don't know if he can requisition the Capitol building for it without Congress's agreement to that. But as for "calling on them" to attend, sure, of course he could do that anyway, without needing any constitutional authority to do so, just as anyone can call on anyone else to do anything at all. As long as we're not talking about anything that carries any kind of authority to compel them with it.
    I think the executive branch has a better claim to own and control of the building (at least when the Congress isn't using it) than the legislative branch.
    The President might face a "what if they threw a party and nobody came" problem in theory but it would never actually play out that way in practice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Really?

All he needs (maybe) is permission to come to one House or the other and speak, the he can invite everyone to come and hear him.

Since he has the power to convene both Houses he should be able to compel their appearance whenever and wherever he wants to give the speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Really?
    Is that about individuals? or the Houses of Congress?

Originally Posted by Swordsmyth

All he needs (maybe) is permission to come to one House or the other and speak, the he can invite everyone to come and hear him.

Since he has the power to convene both Houses he should be able to compel their appearance whenever and wherever he wants to give the speech.

Are all individuals compelled to be present every time Congress convenes?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Is that about individuals? or the Houses of Congress?

Are all individuals compelled to be present every time Congress convenes?
    LOL

No wonder they call it spin.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

No wonder they call it spin.

You don't understand the difference between groups and individuals?

The Republicans will show up anywhere he tells them and so will many of the Demoncrats, therefore the Houses of Congress will be convened but nobody will start a manhunt and drag Nancy or any of the other far left lunatics there at gun point.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But he is not free to requisition by force any venue of his choosing for it, nor to arrest anyone who he thinks should be there but does not go.

And no libertarian, and no "conservatarian", would ever want him to have those powers..
    What? Whoa. Where the f'k are you going with this? I seriously doubt democrats are going to be arrested for not attending. I recall some refused to attend the SOTU in 2017 and nothing came of it.

You're trying really hard to make it not seem like Nancy is being really desperate here. She doesn't have the sole power to commandeer the Capitol building, and she's acting like a clown. The SCOTUS is probably gonna intervene if she doesn't relent, and Nancy doesn't have the support there for a favorable decision.

She's got nothing, but her beady bug eyes and the gavel that makes her think she's a god.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Womp womp
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    You're trying really hard to make it not seem like Nancy is being
    No, I'm not. I'm reacting to this suggestion to violate the Constitution's separation of powers:

No, I'm not. I'm reacting to this suggestion to violate the Constitution's separation of powers:
    It does no such thing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump folds:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...89916826648577

Trump folds:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...89916826648577
    I'm sure he has a reason, delaying the SOTU is no big deal.

I look forward to his revenge.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast