Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC restaurant fined $7k for questioning transgender activist who used women's restroom

DC restaurant fined $7k for questioning transgender activist who used women's restroom

Washington, D.C., restaurant Cuba Libre has been hit with a $7,000 fine after questioning a transgender activist who used its women's restroom and a manager tried to insist the patron show identification proving to be female.

On June 22, Charlotte Clymer went to the restaurant to attend a bachelorette party for a friend. Clymer identifies as a woman and made the transition from being a man in November 2017.
    According to Clymer's account of the June incident to MetroWeekly, when she went to use the women's restroom at Cuba Libre, an employee stopped her and asked for her to show identification. Clymer refused and used the women's facility. Upon exiting, she was approached by the same employee and a manager who insisted that, according to D.C. law, a person must be designated as a "female" on their ID in order to use a women's restroom in the city.
    Clymer — who works in communications for the LGBT advocacy group Human Rights Campaign — argued that she was, indeed, protected under D.C. law and pulled the legislation up on her phone. The next day, Clymer claimed via social media that she had been "forcibly removed from the restaurant."
    Clymer used her Twitter platform to stress the alleged hostility of the Cuba Libre manager and explained that she felt compelled to expose the "violent nature" of the incident in hopes that it would prevent discrimination against other transgender individuals who might not have her level of privilege.
    I cannot stress enough the intentionality of this incident. The manager was hostile, condescending, and hateful. And my biggest fear is that this will happen again to someone without my privilege. Someone who's not white, doesn't have a wide network, doesn't know the law, etc.
    — Charlotte Clymer🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) June 24, 2018
    So, this weekend, I have tried my best to articulate this story and communicate the violent nature of what took place on Friday night while also trying to be present for my friends and what was meant to be a celebratory weekend with girlfriends.
    — Charlotte Clymer🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) June 24, 2018
    Clymer hired a law firm to represent her in filing a civil rights complaint against the restaurant, prompting an investigation from D.C.'s office of the attorney general.

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced Wednesday that the restaurant had violated the District's Human Rights Act by failing to have a written policy ensuring compliance "with regard to restroom facilities" and "did not provide adequate training to employees." The restaurant was issued a fine, ordered to implement new training for staff, and has agreed to "post clear signage that, under D.C. law, everyone is allowed to use the restroom that matches their gender identity or expression."

More at: https://www.theblaze.com/news/dc-res...tioning-gender
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    according to D.C. law, a person must be designated as a "female" on their ID in order to use a women's restroom in the city.
    Do we really need to be checking IDs of people who want to use the restroom?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    A private business can do whatever it wants to protect its customers from freaks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A private business can do whatever it wants to protect its customers from freaks.
    Exactly.

Perfect example, if the owner witnessed young girls had entered the bathroom and a short while later what looked like a male or freak entered the same bathroom. Going in or stopping before hand is exactly what one would expect the parents, restaurant owner or patrons to do.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Exactly.

Perfect example, if the owner witnessed young girls had entered the bathroom and a short while later what looked like a male or freak entered the same bathroom. Going in or stopping before hand is exactly what one would expect the parents, restaurant owner or patrons to do.
    Did the girls present their IDs? They could have been boys trying to sneak in and spy on girls. Do we need "bathroom cops"?

Did the girls present their IDs? They could have been boys trying to sneak in and spy on girls. Do we need "bathroom cops"?
    Whatever happened to discretion? Obviously the girls used the restroom without causing a scene. Someone who is labeled a "transgender activist" is obviously after attention and got it. Most Americans could give a damn who goes in what bathroom if that person acts appropriately. If this activist caused such a scene, I don't blame the owner for asking for ID.

Pretty soon the only people that will frequent public places will be freaks, perverts and activists at this rate.
    "The Patriarch"

It is within the RIGHTS of the OWNER to make subjective decisions based on the appearance of those using his restrooms.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Pretty soon the only people that will frequent public places will be freaks, perverts and activists at this rate.
    That's exactly the point.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    That's exactly the point.
    Leftist French Website Calls For Heterosexuality to be Banned

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Hey hey! Ho ho!

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Whatever happened to discretion? Obviously the girls used the restroom without causing a scene. Someone who is labeled a "transgender activist" is obviously after attention and got it. Most Americans could give a damn who goes in what bathroom if that person acts appropriately. If this activist caused such a scene, I don't blame the owner for asking for ID.
    Was the person causing a scene before they were denied access to the restroom? (She is also a military veteran- US Army)

https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/06/...mens-restroom/

Around midnight, she attempted to use the women’s restroom, when an attendant allegedly asked to see her ID, saying that it must note “female” in order for her to use the restroom. No one else was asked for identification, according to Clymer.

“This is a packed hallway in a packed club/restaurant, and this random staff person specifically picks me out to ask for ID. I told him that’s nonsense, turned on my heel, and continued into the restroom,” Clymer wrote. “I go into a stall to do my business, and I hear him walk in and search for me in this busy restroom full of women. He is doing everything but opening the stall doors. I ignore him, and after a few moments, he leaves. I do my business, wash my hands, and walk out.”

As she exited the restroom, Clymer claims she was accosted by the attendant and the manager, who both allegedly told her that it’s District law that she has to have “female” on her identification to use the women’s restroom. Clymer again declined to show her ID, and notified both that they were wrong about the law. (Under D.C.’s Human Rights Act, transgender people are allowed to use facilities that match their gender identity, and it is illegal for places of public accommodation to discriminate against them solely on the basis of said gender identity.)

Was the person causing a scene before they were denied access to the restroom? (She is also a military veteran- US Army)

HE is a scene.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced Wednesday that the restaurant had violated the District's Human Rights Act by failing to have a written policy ensuring compliance "with regard to restroom facilities" and "did not provide adequate training to employees." The restaurant was issued a [$7,000.00] fine, ordered to implement new training for staff, and has agreed to "post clear signage that, under D.C. law, everyone is allowed to use the restroom that matches their gender identity or expression."
    Do we need "bathroom cops"?
    Good question. Why don't you go ask Karl Racine?

I have no idea. But if I am forced to take the word of any business owner over any "activist" (especially any activist these days) I will side with the owner. And that includes a transgender gay bar owner who throws out an activist for looking too Christian.

That is part of the freak show, eventually if we let the show continue , DHS will have an excuse to be in
    every bathroom in America, eventually your own home, or dhs cameras installed.
    This was obvious the day Target Stores began catering to them (the freaks).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A man is not a woman and visa versa, they never will be what they aren't , all
    your surgery and paper work will never change that fact, call yourself what you
    please, but if you were born male, you are still male.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    That is part of the freak show, eventually if we let the show continue , DHS will have an excuse to be in
    every bathroom in America, eventually your own home, or dhs cameras installed.
    This was obvious the day Target Stores began catering to them (the freaks).
    So we need more surveillance to be sure everybody is in the proper place. "I don't believe you are a man/ citizen/ Christian/ Republican. Papers please!

Or we can be less uptight and keep some of our freedoms.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-19-2019 at 05:50 PM.

So we need more surveillance to be sure everybody is in the proper place. "I don't believe you are a man/ citizen/ Christian/ Republican. Papers please!

You want surveillance so we can keep the freak show alive?

Where I live they can just ask you to leave and you will . There are no fines . That is unamerican .
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-19-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Do something Danke

You want surveillance so we can keep the freak show alive?
    I don't care what people are doing as long as they aren't forcing themselves on others. That is freedom. Or you can try to keep yourself apart and give up freedoms.

Nope. I don't need to see the ID to tell that's a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

You never had the freedom to use a restroom that a business owner didn't want you to use and the owner always had an absolute right to surveil his property.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced Wednesday that the restaurant had violated the District's Human Rights Act by failing to have a written policy ensuring compliance "with regard to restroom facilities" and "did not provide adequate training to employees." The restaurant was issued a [$7,000.00] fine, ordered to implement new training for staff, and has agreed to "post clear signage that, under D.C. law, everyone is allowed to use the restroom that matches their gender identity or expression."
    Good advice. Why don't you go tell it to Karl Racine?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't care what people are doing as long as they aren't forcing themselves on others. That is freedom. Or you can try to keep yourself apart and give up freedoms.
    The thing is forcing HIMself on the business owner.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Freedom is being allowed to associate with real people.

Freedom is being allowed to associate with real people.
    This person was denied freedom of association.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Nope. I don't need to see the ID to tell that's a man.
    Seems no other people were in doubt as well .
    Do something Danke

D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced Wednesday that the restaurant had violated the District's Human Rights Act by failing to have a written policy [...]
    Papers please!

The restaurant was issued a [$7,000.00] fine, ordered to implement new training for staff, and has agreed to "post clear signage [...]

//

You are talking about less freedoms? One person was told by the owner of a business to use an appropriate bathroom. The other was fined $7000 by the government for running HIS business HIS way.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast