Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump says he will make a ‘major’ announcement on Saturday

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    If there is amnesty , this will be the last straw.
    I smell Jared and Ivanka. Bad news.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46932845

US shutdown: George W Bush gives pizza to security team

Former president George W Bush has turned his hand to pizza delivery to help staff left unpaid by a government shutdown.

Posts on social media showed Mr Bush bringing the food to his Secret Service detail.

"It's time for leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown," Mr Bush wrote on Instagram.

The shutdown has entered a fifth week and is the longest in US history.

About 800,000 US federal staff are at home or working without pay during the political deadlock over funding for Mr Trump's proposed border wall.

This includes about 6,000 Secret Service staff, around 85% of whom are reportedly still working through the shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    One year ago, Trump rejected a bill which would have given him $25 billion for his wall in exchange for DACA protections. Now he is only asking for one fifth of that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/02/trum...wall-bill.html
    Because they would have taken the deal then, now that they won't he is safe to make the offer.
    He can always quibble about some other detail in order to refuse if they try to call his bluff but they won't, they have painted themselves into a corner.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Because they would have taken the deal then, now that they won't he is safe to make the offer.
    He can always quibble about some other detail in order to refuse if they try to call his bluff but they won't, they have painted themselves into a corner.

This isn't about the border- it is about power. The Democratic House vs the President. Neither wants to be seen as the weaker party. Trump was unable to get anything passed when his party controlled the House. His position is not improved.

This isn't about the border- it is about power. The Democratic House vs the President. Neither wants to be seen as the weaker party. Trump was unable to get anything passed when his party controlled the House. His position is not improved.
    It's about both and Trump is winning.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Seems like it was just restatement of his old position.

Then how's that a bargaining chip for negotiation with Dems since they know he already agrees to it.
    He gets to look "reasonable" while exposing that they are unreasonable and he doesn't even have to really give them anything.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yep, both parties are the same.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

The shutdown will continue.......................................... .

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I smell Jared and Ivanka. Bad news.
    They have shown strong leadrship on such issues. Jared has even won awards.

He gets to look "reasonable" while exposing that they are unreasonable and he doesn't even have to really give them anything.
    Do you believe MAGA's stance on this looks reasobane to GOP base/his supporters and they will stay with him if he acted on it?

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Do you believe MAGA's stance on this looks reasonable to GOP base/his supporters and they will stay with him if he acted on it?
    Many will not and so he will not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's about both and Trump is winning.
    A three year extension is no concession when courts have already frozen the program and the Supreme Court isn't going to hear any appeals in this session meaning it will go on all by itself for at least one more year.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...year/23646749/

Supreme Court inaction suggests DACA safe for another year

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama-era program that shields young immigrants from deportation and that President Donald Trump has sought to end seems likely to survive for at least another year.

That's because the Supreme Court took no action Friday on the Trump administration's request to decide by early summer whether Trump's bid to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program was legal. The program has been protected by several federal courts.

Based on the high court's usual practices, the earliest the justices would hear arguments in the case would be this fall, if they decide to hear the case at all. If arguments take place in October, a decision would not be likely before 2020, when it could affect the presidential campaign.

The administration "never asked for a stay of the rulings below which to us indicated it has known all along that there's no real rush to resolve these important issues," said Theodore Boutrous Jr., a lawyer in Los Angeles who represents some young immigrants who challenged the administration's plans.

Trump and Congress could take the issue out of the court's hands altogether if they strike a deal on the program known as DACA, perhaps even in negotiations to end the partial government shutdown.

The immigration case is among several high-profile issues the court has apparently decided not to add to its calendar for decision by late June. Other pending appeals involve Indiana abortion restrictions, whether the main federal employment discrimination law protects LGBT people and Trump's policy to limit military service by transgender people. The court also has yet to act on a separate administration request to let the transgender policy take effect, even before the case is decided.

On immigration, the administration sought to end DACA in 2017, but federal courts in California, New York and Washington, DC, have prevented it from doing so. A federal judge in Texas has declared the program is illegal, but refused to order it halted.

DACA has protected about 700,000 people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children or came with families that overstayed visas.
    The administration has twice tried to sidestep the appeals courts and win a swift ruling by the Supreme Court. The justices rejected a first attempt last year as premature. In taking no action so far on the second request, the high court is signaling that it considers the issue less urgent than the administration does.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A three year extension is no concession when courts have already frozen the program and the Supreme Court isn't going to hear any appeals in this session meaning it will go on all by itself for at least one more year.

And?

He offered them a bag of air that they have already said they won't accept but he gets to look "reasonable" and they look unreasonable.

He is winning.

SCOTUS may also decide to take the case after RBG is admitted to be dead and has been replaced.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46935595

Speaking from the White House, Mr Trump offered two compromises to break what he called the "logjam" over the shutdown.

The first concerns about 700,000 Dreamers, who entered the United States with their parents illegally.

The Dreamers are currently protected from deportation under a programme that allows them to work but not get citizenship. Mr Trump has been trying to rescind the programme.

Mr Trump said he would extend protection for Dreamers for another three years, allowing them access to work permits.

He also said he would extend for three years the visas for Temporary Protection Status holders. More than 300,000 people from countries affected by war or disasters are allowed to live and work in the US under TPS, another system Mr Trump has opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrp12 View Post
    That's a big fat nope from Pelosi. https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/11919/
    As everyone knew beforehand.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...34750578929664
    I started typing exactly that then refreshed to see you and Ann beat me to it.

The shutdown will continue.......................................... .
    1776 and 2016!

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeb on steroids? Regardless Jeb is better than HRC.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I started typing exactly that then refreshed to see you and Ann beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Jeb on steroids? Regardless Jeb is better than HRC.

Jeb would have already given them everything in return for nothing, Trump has not given them anything, he has only offered them something he knew they would refuse.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Someone posted this as a reply to his tweet for the speech.

LOL
    Last edited by kahless; 01-19-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Thumbs down Urgent Action - Amnesty

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Amnesty will not happen and the Demoncrats now own the shutdown and the eventual deportation of the DACA and TPS recipients.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And?

He offered them a bag of air that they have already said they won't accept but he gets to look "reasonable" and they look unreasonable.

He is winning.

SCOTUS may also decide to take the case after RBG is admitted to be dead and has been replaced.

Best offer the Dems are ever going to get, look how mad the right are over this offer, this is Trump making an offer that swings left AFTER he punked Nancy and her gang just days earlier, to make sure they would reject it. Now he declares an emergency saying he has no choice.

Nancy and her team got played by a master troller, she is out of her league, a level 1 noob.

Dems own this now, but Anne C. needs to shut up and let this play out, if he gives in...then have at it...until then she isn't helping anymore.

So you're saying its an even better deal for the democrats, 25B vs 5.7B. And an extension is a concession, so the SC doesn't hear the appeal this year? It will next year and overturn DACA. They should take the deal to guarantee it survives then bank on winning in 2020, that is if they truly cared about the dreamers, but they don't. Its a better deal for democrats but they've already said no. Democrats are total losers if they don't take this deal.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    Best offer the Dems are ever going to get, look how mad the right are over this offer, this is Trump making an offer that swings left AFTER he punked Nancy and her gang just days earlier, to make sure they would reject it. Now he declares an emergency saying he has no choice.

Nancy and her team got played by a master troller, she is out of her league, a level 1 noob.

Dems own this now, but Anne C. needs to shut up and let this play out, if he gives in...then have at it...until then she isn't helping anymore.
    I agree except that Coulter and everyone else should make it clear that this deal is unacceptable in case the Demoncrats were to try and call Trump's bluff, he needs the excuse to back out of the offer and the Republicans need to be motivated to make sure it never reaches his desk.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast