Thread: AG Nominee Barr May Swing Anti-Trust Hammer At Amazon, Facebook And Google

AG Nominee Barr May Swing Anti-Trust Hammer At Amazon, Facebook And Google

President Trump's nominee for Attorney General, William Barr, signaled during his confirmation hearing on Tuesday that he may put the screws to tech monopolies.
    When asked by Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) whether he thought antitrust laws were there "to protect consumers," Barr responded that he is interested in "reassessing" Justice Department antitrust policies when it comes to tech giants.
    "Yes, I mean generally that’s where I stand that is the purpose of anti-trust law obviously is to protect competition and competition ultimately that rebounds to consumer benefits. At the same time, I’m sort of interested in stepping back and reassessing or learning more about how the anti-trust division has been functioning and what their priorities are. I don’t think big is necessarily bad, but I think a lot of people wonder how such huge behemoths that now exist in Silicon Valley have taken shape under the nose of anti-trust enforcers."
    When asked by Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) about the DOJ's role in terms of working with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to tackle anti-competitive behavior, Barr said: "I would like to weigh in to some of these issues."

"I'd like to have the antitrust [division] support that effort to get more involved in reviewing the situation from a competition standpoint. I also am interested in the issue of privacy. And the question of who owns this data. And, you know, it's not an area that I've studied closely or become an expert in. But I think it's important for the department to get more involved in these questions."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ook-and-google
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    a lot of people wonder how such huge behemoths that now exist in Silicon Valley have taken shape under the nose of anti-trust enforcers
    It’s not really an issue that Facebook and Google have so many users. But it could be argued that perhaps a little more scrutiny was warranted with so much M&A activity over the years. For example, very large purchases such as YouTube, and purchases of direct competitors.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

His problem is it sounds like he want to swing that hammer far and wide. Not a fan of the internet oligarchy but screw this guy. (Barr)
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    His problem is it sounds like he want to swing that hammer far and wide. Not a fan of the internet oligarchy but screw this guy. (Barr)
    I don't like him for many reasons but he claims to be reticent about swinging the hammer:

Barr acknowledged he still doesn't have the solutions to these questions, including about whether the Justice Department has the authority to address alleged bias on online platforms. He said he'd "have to think long and hard before I said that it was really the stuff of an antitrust matter." But he also expressed concern over the "network effects" that have allowed tech companies to become "so powerful that particular sectors could essentially be subsumed into these networks."
    Whoever is confirmed as attorney general could play a key role in shaping the enforcement of antitrust regulation in the coming years. -CNBC
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

My issue with Amazon Google Youtube Twitter, is that they are de facto public utilities, yet
    they are making policy and decisions regarding what opinions they will tolerate, what speech
    they will allow, and who is allowed to do the speaking,
    that is the much larger issue than 'how big' a company is.

Barr, Bush, Kennedy

Barr, GHW Bush, Ted Kennedy - Keeping the Legacy Alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    My issue with Amazon Google Youtube Twitter, is that they are de facto public utilities,
    No they are not.

Yaaaaay regulation! Woohoo!
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, and when he says, "I also am interested in the issue of privacy. And the question of who owns this data," he surely means that the entity that ought to own it is the federal government, and not these private companies.

I wonder if he will split YouTube from Google and INSTAGRAM from Fedbook?

I would like him to swing that hammer far and wide.

Tear as much as possible to shreds. Is Disney buying Fox? Answer should be NOT ALLOWED.

They got off track a long long time ago. Rip it to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    I would like him to swing that hammer far and wide.

Tear as much as possible to shreds. Is Disney buying Fox? Answer should be NOT ALLOWED.

They got off track a long long time ago. Rip it to shreds.
    I wasn't referring to what he said about the internet. There are plenty of reasons to not like this guy at all that have nothing to do with this subject.
    "The Patriarch"