Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barr signals support for ending marijuana legalization or making it federal

Barr signals support for ending marijuana legalization or making it federal

Attorney general nominee William P. Barr said Tuesday afternoon that he would support a federal law prohibiting the recreational use of marijuana by in all 50 states — even those that have legalized it at the state level.
    During his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Barr argued that the U.S. government’s increased tolerance for marijuana in recent years has been a mistake. Under questioning by Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., Barr said the current discrepancy between federal law and state laws is untenable.
    “We either should have a federal law that prohibits marijuana everywhere, which I would support myself. Because I think that it’s a mistake to back off on marijuana. However, if we [don’t] want a federal approach, if we want states to have their own laws, then let’s get there and let’s get there the right way,” Barr told Booker.

When Booker asked Barr whether he thought Sessions was correct in rescinding the Cole memo, Barr said it was important not to upset the interests and expectations of the businesses and investors who have entered the legal marijuana industry.
    “However, I think the current situation is untenable and really has to be addressed. It’s almost like a backdoor nullification of federal law. To me it’s a binary choice. Either we have a federal law that applies to everybody —” Barr said, before being interrupted by Booker.
    “How would you address that? Do you think it’s appropriate to use federal resources to target marijuana businesses that are compliant with state law?” Booker asked.
    “No,” Barr responded. “I said I’m not going to go after companies that have relied on the Cole memorandum.”
    Later in the hearing, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., asked again if he intends to use “the limited federal resources” at his disposal to enforce federal marijuana laws in the states where the drug has been legalized.
    “No, I thought I answered that by saying, to the extent that people are complying with the state law’s distribution and production and so forth, we’re not going to go after that. But I do feel we can’t stay in the current situation,” he said. “You can imagine any kind of situation. Can an existing administration and an attorney general start cutting deals with states saying, ‘We’re not going to apply the federal law.’ Some gun law or some other thing saying, ‘We’re not going to apply it in your state.’”
    Barr said it is incumbent upon Congress to decide whether marijuana law will be established and governed by a federal government or state-based system.
    “This is breeding disrespect for the federal law,” he said.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/barr-signals-...212041886.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    There have been rumors that MAGA had private meetings with his top funder and distinguished neocon Adelson.

Sheldon Adelson Behind 85% of Florida’s Anti-Medical Marijuana Campaign
    Legalization isn't going away, it is going federal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This guy totally wants to enforce federal gun controls and doesn't want people on both sides of the political spectrum thinking you can legalize something that is federally illegal like guns at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    This guy totally wants to enforce federal gun controls and doesn't want people on both sides of the political spectrum thinking you can legalize something that is federally illegal like guns at the state level.
    Yup.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

''we must control it at the Federal level so we can tax it ...at the Federal level''

As long as we dont do it like Hawaii did it. Smoking Pot does NOT revoke GUN RIGHTS. Bet thats gonna be the avenue try to take tho, guns kill people, joints dont. Well, maybe stupid people with guns kill people, not the guns themselves since guns dont fire themselves...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

''as long as we don't inhale'' ?
    Bill Clinton teaches people how to legally smoke pot;
    ''Yes but I didn't inhale''

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No better than JS... why does Trump continue to hire this brand of swamp $#@!?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I don't like this guy. Why have states if they cannot make their own laws? This could be good. Could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Trump does this on purpose. Get this guy in and have many states claim sovereignty.

I think Barr is trying to protect Civil Assets Forfeiture policies. The government still collects billions of dollars from pot smokers, I don't see them giving it up without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    When Booker asked Barr whether he thought Sessions was correct in rescinding the Cole memo, Barr said it was important not to upset the interests and expectations of the businesses and investors who have entered the legal marijuana industry.
    He's not even trying to hide what drives his decisions.

Notice that there was no expectation for him to explain how he could harmonize his position with an oath to uphold the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    I think Barr is trying to protect Civil Assets Forfeiture policies. The government still collects billions of dollars from pot smokers, I don't see them giving it up without a fight.
    That is one factor. But there are a number of others. And they all in one way or another revolve around money and power for various special interest groups (police, private prisons, prosecutors, pharmaceutical companies, etc.).

Notably, in my opinion, the social conservative wing of the GOP, has much less to do with this issue than people blame them for.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    No better than JS... why does Trump continue to hire this brand of swamp $#@!?

Why indeed.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    ''we must control it at the Federal level so we can tax it ...at the Federal level''
    Untrue. The law's been clear for a long time that the federal power to tax isn't limited to things that Congress can otherwise regulate.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Untrue. The law's been clear for a long time that the federal power to tax isn't limited to things that Congress can otherwise regulate.
    What law is that, that makes Feds allowed to create a new tax without a new law?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What law is that, that makes Feds allowed to create a new tax without a new law?
    A guy with a gun stops you alone in a dark alley and points it at your head demanding that you give him money.

Imagine saying to that mugger, "What law is that that makes you allowed to create a new tax without a new law"?

As far as that mugger is concerned, his demand for your money is the law, and the authority of that law is founded on nothing other than the gun pointed at your head, without any pretense of appeal to some deeper underlying law authorizing this law.

The government is the same as that in all respects.

Indeed, that mugger is an example of a state, just a very small and temporary one, having all the defining characteristics that make larger states, like the US federal government, what they are. All of these larger states' hocus-pocus laws that legitimize their other laws (e.g. the Constitution) are nothing but propaganda diverting the attention of their victims away from their true illegitimate nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    A guy with a gun stops you alone in a dark alley and points it at your head demanding that you give him money.

Imagine saying to that mugger, "What law is that that makes you allowed to create a new tax without a new law"?

As far as that mugger is concerned, his demand for your money is the law, and the authority of that law is founded on nothing other than the gun pointed at your head, without any pretense of appeal to some deeper underlying law authorizing this law.

The government is the same as that in all respects.

Indeed, that mugger is an example of a state, just a very small and temporary one, having all the defining characteristics that make larger states, like the US federal government, what they are. All of these larger states' hocus-pocus laws that legitimize their other laws (e.g. the Constitution) are nothing but propaganda diverting the attention of their victims away from their true illegitimate nature.
    Right , I think most of us are well aware, I'm waiting for 'The Law' from Tufts, will
    continue and add to this when Tuft shows me 'that' law.

Right , I think most of us are well aware, I'm waiting for 'The Law' from Tufts, will
    The tax itself would be that law. Of course Congress would have to legislate that tax law. But, as ST said, there is no prerequisite that the feds must first regulate marijuana in other ways before being allowed to tax it.

The tax itself would be that law. Of course Congress would have to legislate that tax law. But, as ST said, there is no prerequisite that the feds must first regulate marijuana in other ways before being allowed to tax it.
    There you go, as I inferred.
    ''What law is that, that makes Feds allowed to create a new tax without a new law? ''

The point was that it's not necessary for Congress to regulate pot in order to tax it, which is what I thought you were saying ("we must control it at the Federal level so we can tax it "). If Congress were to repeal all federal laws criminalizing or otherwise regulating pot it could still tax it (although the tax could be problematic if pot was illegal under state law -- see below). See The License Tax Cases, 72 U.S. 462 (1866), upholding federal taxation of things (intrastate sales of lottery tickets and liquor) that at the time were outside of Congress' regulatory authority.

The reason there's no federal tax on pot currently goes back to Leary v. U.S., 395 U.S. 6 (1969), in which the Supreme Court struck down as unconstitutional the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 because it required persons subject to the tax to incriminate themselves.
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 01-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

He might very well do that, but it's not because he is here to help us. Sonny Tufts once acknowledged he is a tax attorney. He is like ZippyJuan, Influenza, TheCount (and a cast of thousands) in that he is a shenaniganist. He is very likely connected with the Open Society Foundations. He mostly posts contrary and discouraging information. Just check all his posts from the beginning. I did. That's his purpose here. I am 100% sure of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

He's not even trying to hide what drives his decisions.

Notice that there was no expectation for him to explain how he could harmonize his position with an oath to uphold the Constitution.
    What are you talking about?

However, if we [don’t] want a federal approach, if we want states to have their own laws, then let’s get there and let’s get there the right way,” Barr told Booker.
    Sounds like he is going to be flexible on this one.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

double post
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 01-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    He might very well do that, but it's not because he is here to help us.
    I think that it would be very helpful to know what the law really is, as opposed to inaccurate descriptions or (at the other extreme) crackpot and paranoid versions.

He is very likely connected with the Open Society Foundations.
    I had never heard of this organization before you mentioned it. Better come up with a different delusion.

He mostly posts contrary and discouraging information.
    It may be discouraging to shatter ignorant fantasies, but that's what exposure to the facts often does.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

He might very well do that, but it's not because he is here to help us. Sonny Tufts once acknowledged he is a tax attorney. He is like ZippyJuan, Influenza, TheCount (and a cast of thousands) in that he is a shenaniganist. He is very likely connected with the Open Society Foundations. He mostly posts contrary and discouraging information. Just check all his posts from the beginning. I did. That's his purpose here. I am 100% sure of it.
    Thanks NLC , noted, what about superfluous man?

Thanks NLC , noted, what about superfluous man?

SF gets annoyed when I point out the paid trolls here. Not exactly sure why that is. Anyway, I like some of SF's insights, especially in the religion section.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    I think that it would be very helpful to know what the law really is, as opposed to inaccurate descriptions or (at the other extreme) crackpot and paranoid versions.
    Why?

I had never heard of this organization before you mentioned it. Better come up with a different delusion.
    You don't know who you work for?

It may be discouraging to shatter ignorant fantasies, but that's what exposure to the facts often does.
    To what end?

Why?

You don't know who you work for?

To what end?

Thanks NCL...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    As long as we dont do it like Hawaii did it. Smoking Pot does NOT revoke GUN RIGHTS. Bet thats gonna be the avenue try to take tho, guns kill people, joints dont. Well, maybe stupid people with guns kill people, not the guns themselves since guns dont fire themselves...
    If it is legalized at the federal level that will pull the rug out from under Hawaii and the other states that did that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast