Thread: Trump's AG nominee supported gun control!

Thumbs down Trump's AG nominee supported gun control!

And he was in charge of Ruby Ridge:

https://www.gunowners.org/alert11519.htm
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 01-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will Rand sell out on this guy too?
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Will Rand sell out on this guy too?
    If you throw those knives at Rand's back any faster you won't even wait to find out who the nominee is next time.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Thumbs down Take the Guns First, Trump

Just say no to GHW Bushbot, Trumpkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If you throw those knives at Rand's back any faster you won't even wait to find out who the nominee is next time.
    He's still butthurt that he's not Rand's right hand man with all his YAL training and politics 101 knowledge. Some people just can't get over the fact that "they ain't all that."

Bad enough Matt will not, can not, ever post the article, now he doesn't even bother posting a live link.

That said, this guy looks pretty bad, a long term swamp creature.

Once again, I will do his work for him:

Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General?

Published: 15 January 2019
    Urge Senators to Grill William Barr on Gun Rights

Please click on the Take Action button to urge your Senators to oppose William Barr for Attorney General, if he will not commit to opposing Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders.

Not a GOA member yet? We need you more than ever right now!

Hearings Will Determine Whether Barr is Committed to the 2nd Amendment
    Dear Friend:

As if we didn’t have enough gun control to fight recently, we now have another battle emerging.

To replace Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, President Trump has nominated an individual who has advocated very restrictive gun control proposals in the past.

The Senate Judiciary Committee began confirmation hearings on the nominee today.

His name is William Barr, and he actually served as U.S. Attorney General once before under President George H.W. Bush from 1991-1993.

It was during the hearings for that position in 1991 that William Barr expressed his support for gun control:

On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think ... I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included ... very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms...

So Barr endorsed both the Brady Check portion of the Brady Bill and the semi-auto ban, although he did express a preference for magazine bans: “I would prefer a limitation on the clip [sic] size.”

You can see Barr’s remarks at the 1:42:23 mark in this C-Span video.

No excuses for supporting 2A infringements

I wouldn’t be surprised if, during the hearings, Barr defends his past support for gun control by reiterating what he said in 1991.

That is, he supported firearms restrictions as part of a grand bargain to get several “tough on crime” provisions.

But that excuse is not going to fly with the pro-gun community. Because our rights are protected by the Constitution and they can’t be bargained away or negotiated.

Barr might also say his support for gun control was “pre-Heller” -- as if that really makes a difference.

If that is Barr’s excuse, then that just means Barr believes that outlawing a large category of firearms is “okey-dokey” if it’s alright with the Supreme Court.

Either way, these excuses won’t fly.

Look, I realize that someone’s views can change in 20-plus years.

Criminologists like Dr. Gary Kleck have changed their views on gun control.

So have judges like Sanford Levinson ... law enforcement such as Officer John Cardillo and Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri ... legislators like Rep. Ron Silver ... media executives such as NPR CEO Ken Stern.

In other words, there are lots of people who eventually wise up and “see the light.”

As for Barr, we don’t have any recent statements from him on gun control (pro or con).

But unless Barr can publicly renounce his previous views on gun control and publicly oppose the positions advocated by his boss-to-be -- by taking a firm and unequivocal stand against Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders -- then we’re calling on the Senate to reject his nomination.

So please urge your Senators to vote NO on William Barr, unless the candidate demonstrates indisputable support for the Second Amendment.

Thank you for your help.

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
    Executive Director
    Follow me on Twitter: @EricHmpratt

P.S. Please urge your Senators to oppose William Barr for Attorney General, if he will not commit to oppose Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders. The pre-written messages are specially tailored to fit whether your Senators are Republican or Democrat.

a traitor has been unearthed !

this is great news

UNLEASH THE INTERNET!!!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    This doesn't prove that MAGA is a fake frontgroup but this controversial meme has been going around for a while unchecked.

Unchecked? That's a pretty good paraphrase of his actual words. What's there to check?

Edit: Mea Culpa. It's not a paraphrase, it's his exact words. He says the same thing repeatedly, worded in various ways, but at one point he says precisely, "Take the guns first, go through [or 'do'?] due process second."
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47165...process-second
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-16-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Unchecked? That's a pretty good paraphrase of his actual words. What's there to check?
    Was expecting Fox or DTS crowd to push back against such controversial memes that could further reinforce "Gun Owners of America" leader's "fraud" label for MAGA.

That said, I stand corrected as turns out he did use these words.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He's still butthurt that he's not Rand's right hand man with all his YAL training and politics 101 knowledge.
    LOL not at all... I wouldn't want to work for Rand after some of the things he has done. Nor would I want to live in DC.

Plus I have a very different career now, haven't worked full time politics for a few years now.

Here it is in his own words [VIDEO]:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47741...n-control-laws

Definitely suspicious of this guy. Trump doesn't seem very good at picking AGs... this will likely be the most important nomination thus far.

He seems like he may "clean up" the FBI/DOJ but only to preserve the institution. I think he'll try to do it quietly. He doesn't sound like someone who will publically make heads roll, or who will offer public acknowledge of any of the corruption, or who will go after all the crimes of Hillary and her cohorts.

In summary, this pick is not making me hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Bad enough Matt will not, can not, ever post the article, now he doesn't even bother posting a live link.

That said, this guy looks pretty bad, a long term swamp creature.

Once again, I will do his work for him:

Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General?

Published: 15 January 2019
    Urge Senators to Grill William Barr on Gun Rights

Please click on the Take Action button to urge your Senators to oppose William Barr for Attorney General, if he will not commit to opposing Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders.

Not a GOA member yet? We need you more than ever right now!

Hearings Will Determine Whether Barr is Committed to the 2nd Amendment
    Dear Friend:

As if we didn’t have enough gun control to fight recently, we now have another battle emerging.

To replace Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, President Trump has nominated an individual who has advocated very restrictive gun control proposals in the past.

The Senate Judiciary Committee began confirmation hearings on the nominee today.

His name is William Barr, and he actually served as U.S. Attorney General once before under President George H.W. Bush from 1991-1993.

It was during the hearings for that position in 1991 that William Barr expressed his support for gun control:

On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think ... I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included ... very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms...

So Barr endorsed both the Brady Check portion of the Brady Bill and the semi-auto ban, although he did express a preference for magazine bans: “I would prefer a limitation on the clip [sic] size.”

You can see Barr’s remarks at the 1:42:23 mark in this C-Span video.

No excuses for supporting 2A infringements

I wouldn’t be surprised if, during the hearings, Barr defends his past support for gun control by reiterating what he said in 1991.

That is, he supported firearms restrictions as part of a grand bargain to get several “tough on crime” provisions.

But that excuse is not going to fly with the pro-gun community. Because our rights are protected by the Constitution and they can’t be bargained away or negotiated.

Barr might also say his support for gun control was “pre-Heller” -- as if that really makes a difference.

If that is Barr’s excuse, then that just means Barr believes that outlawing a large category of firearms is “okey-dokey” if it’s alright with the Supreme Court.

Either way, these excuses won’t fly.

Look, I realize that someone’s views can change in 20-plus years.

Criminologists like Dr. Gary Kleck have changed their views on gun control.

So have judges like Sanford Levinson ... law enforcement such as Officer John Cardillo and Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri ... legislators like Rep. Ron Silver ... media executives such as NPR CEO Ken Stern.

In other words, there are lots of people who eventually wise up and “see the light.”

As for Barr, we don’t have any recent statements from him on gun control (pro or con).

But unless Barr can publicly renounce his previous views on gun control and publicly oppose the positions advocated by his boss-to-be -- by taking a firm and unequivocal stand against Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders -- then we’re calling on the Senate to reject his nomination.

So please urge your Senators to vote NO on William Barr, unless the candidate demonstrates indisputable support for the Second Amendment.

Thank you for your help.

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
    Executive Director
    Follow me on Twitter: @EricHmpratt

P.S. Please urge your Senators to oppose William Barr for Attorney General, if he will not commit to oppose Red Flag Gun Confiscation Orders. The pre-written messages are specially tailored to fit whether your Senators are Republican or Democrat.
    You must spread some reputation around......
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment