Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 in 8 Milennials Unable To CHANGE A LIGHTBULB

1 in 8 Milennials Unable To CHANGE A LIGHTBULB

SHOCK: Millennial generation overwhelmingly unable to do basic household tasks
    https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-03-...-happened.html

(Natural News) Although most of them believe that they are God’s gift to the world, millennials are far from perfect. Defined as anyone born between 1982 and 2004, millennials are generally proficient when it comes to using technology, and many of them are actually very book smart. But as for street smarts and just plain commonsense? Not so much.

According to researchers in Britain, 20% of young people under the age of 35 still turn to their parents for help with common household tasks. For example, the study found that more than half of millennials today are unable to put up wallpaper by themselves, and one in eight admitted to not knowing how to change a light bulb. Additionally, a study by British maintenance company Corgi HomePlan found that 80% of young women rely on their partners to fix things and keep up with basic home maintenance.

The problem, according to Dr. Sandi Mann, a senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Central Lancashire, is that young people are no longer seeing the importance of being hands on. “Millennials are being brought up to be tech-savvy and their skill is in electronic manipulation,” Dr. Mann explained. “Whilst their parents might be better at changing light bulbs, it is the older generation who often turn to the younger ones for help when their computer or phone crashes.”

Indeed, more statistics revealed by this study and others prove Dr. Mann’s explanation to be one hundred percent accurate. In October of last year, for example, a survey found that one in four people between the ages of 25 and 34 weren’t capable of boiling an egg on their own. Nineteen percent of these young people admitted to thinking that an egg can be hard-boiled in less than two minutes. Sadly, the survey showed that young people are losing the skills that their parents and grandparents possessed years before their time – 77% said they can’t fix a bike puncture and 68% can’t wire a plug.

This is BASIC $#@!. Education wins again!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds legit
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Who uses wallpaper anymore?

Removing a light bulb is easy if you know which way to twist it for that particular brand.

You can usually find it on google.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

How many millennials does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None. They're too busy screwing in Virtual Reality.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Thats...very depressing.

Right from the byline and first sentence I can see that I'm in for a dispassionate factual article.

(Natural News) Although most of them believe that they are God’s gift to the world, millennials are far from perfect.
    Get real people. This "research" says more about how millennials like to mess with people who call for surveys than it does their ability to change a light bulb.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Even if you get this wrong, you had a 50% chance to get it right(or left). The numbers indicate that they dont even try. Even an attempt would result in 50% success for the first try, and theoretically 100% on the second.

My children will be fked by the future, in so many ways. Mostly due to decisions made by boomers and the great gen, but they will have little competition when it comes to self reliance and being independent. When bears are chasing you, I guess its nice to have a few stragglers. Perhaps they'll have an opportunity to be in a position of benefit, given whatever sh!tty system exists during their lifetime?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Sounds legit
    Actually it does . It is in the city in England If you shut off the power and locked down the stores most of them would not be alive 6 weeks later .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Even if you get this wrong, you had a 50% chance to get it right(or left). The numbers indicate that they dont even try. Even an attempt would result in 50% success for the first try, and theoretically 100% on the second.

My children will be fked by the future, in so many ways. Mostly due to decisions made by boomers and the great gen, but they will have little competition when it comes to self reliance and being independent. When bears are chasing you, I guess its nice to have a few stragglers. Perhaps they'll have an opportunity to be in a position of benefit, given whatever sh!tty system exists during their lifetime?
    Forgetting what the standard deviation for the poll is, 1 out of 8 millenials unable to change a light bulb is the same as 7 out of 8 millenials ABLE to change a light bulb. This means 87.5% of them CAN change a light bulb. And then with the 12.5% of the people who can't, there is a 50% chance of them suceeding when they try. This number is closer to 100% than 50%. This is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    How many millennials does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    None. They're too busy screwing in Virtual Reality.
    On the otherhand, we just had a thread talking about how a great many of the Z-generation are forgoing university and seeking out trades.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Forgetting what the standard deviation for the poll is, 1 out of 8 millenials unable to change a light bulb is the same as 7 out of 8 millenials ABLE to change a light bulb. This means 87.5% of them CAN change a light bulb. And then with the 12.5% of the people who can't, there is a 50% chance of them suceeding when they try. This number is closer to 100% than 50%. This is not as bad as people make it out to be.
    If I were to silver line this one, I would go with "S-man's" prediction. That 7 out of 8 enjoy fking with people who ask stupid questions. Now, this exercise would have been much better if Frank "Fk you Frank" Lutz conducted the poll.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I just read somewhere that culinary class are starting up in many cities and towns, all over the country, because the average people are clueless about basic cooking skills.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    If I were to silver line this one, I would go with "S-man's" prediction. That 7 out of 8 enjoy fking with people who ask stupid questions. Now, this exercise would have been much better if Frank "Fk you Frank" Lutz conducted the poll.
    First of all, the story doesn't need a silver lining. 7 out of 8 millenials know how to change a light bulb and that is it. Also the question is not stupid, it is a reasonable question to ask to a generation of kids who the public perceives to be inept in just about everything.

Additionally, a study by British maintenance company Corgi HomePlan found that 80% of young women rely on their partners to fix things and keep up with basic home maintenance.
    Is this supposed to be a new development?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I just read somewhere that culinary class are starting up in many cities and towns, all over the country, because the average people are clueless about basic cooking skills.
    It’s hard to say when cooking skills were lost. It seems like it started before the millennial generation. Many single people leave home, and mostly eat fast food. They rarely cook, as they are either alone, or going out with people.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Huh.. I'll bet most of them have tv's, they could just turn on food network.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s hard to say when cooking skills were lost. It seems like it started before the millennial generation. Many single people leave home, and mostly eat fast food. They rarely cook, as they are either alone, or going out with people.
    I agree it started before the millennials. I know people in their 50's who struggle to cook. It's just so much easier to eat out. Sad really.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Huh.. I'll bet most of them have tv's, they could just turn on food network.
    You would think. But I believe a lot of it stems from sheer laziness.

Sounds legit
    It's the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Is this supposed to be a new development?
    Ya , Mrs relies on me 75 percent of the time then the other 25 percent will be harder to fix what she broke while she tried to do it . All the while she will be telling me how lucky I am she does so much . I am thinking I will be lucky when she quits trying to do it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Who uses wallpaper anymore?
    I thought that was pretty weird, what does putting up wallpaper have to do with anything?
    "The Patriarch"

Sounds legit

Why isn't it legit?

From the hardware store that did the study:

The study, by CORGI HomePlan, has uncovered the lost skills that parents have failed to pass down to their children. The domestic and DIY activities that the under 35s admit to struggling with include:

● Changing a lightbulb (12 per cent)
    ● Wiring a plug (43 per cent)
    ● Changing a fuse (32 per cent)
    ● Bleeding a radiator (32 per cent)
    ● Hanging wallpaper (52 per cent)
    ● Fitting a toilet seat (28 per cent)
    ● Fixing a fence (50 per cent)

http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-yo...e-a-lightbulb/
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Why isn't it legit?

From the hardware store that did the study:
    If that list is correct it doesn't show all that much change as far as I can tell. There have always been 'nerds' and those that weren't handy so to speak. Unless you want to go pretty far back in time this isn't anything new.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    If that list is correct it doesn't show all that much change as far as I can tell. There have always been 'nerds' and those that weren't handy so to speak. Unless you want to go pretty far back in time this isn't anything new.

Sure, there have always been nerds, but the survey suggests generational differences. For example, their website says:

In contrast, those over 55 who were surveyed were overwhelmingly comfortable carrying out these tasks, with just one in 25 saying they would need help to change a lightbulb.

But I would also say it's not an either/or. Changes like this are more subtle and steady.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 01-15-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I thought this article interesting.

Are Millennials as Handy as They Think They Are?

Blame it on HGTV or Pinterest, but millennials seem to think they're pretty handy — even when they're not.

Nearly seven in 10 millennials (69%) consider themselves handy around the house, according to a new survey by Porch — including 79% of millennial men. By comparison, only 61% of baby boomers and 62% of Gen Xers said the same. And to some extent, millennials are walking the walk: Home Depot said that DIY-minded young homeowners are helping to boost sales.

But when asked specific questions to test their DIY experience and know-how, millennials had the least experience of any generation when it came to 13 of 21 common home repairs, and had the most trouble with some basic home improvement concepts.

For example, millennials trailed both Gen Xers and boomers when asked if they'd ever fixed a running toilet, patched a hole in the wall, replaced a kitchen sink, or installed a dimmer switch or a ceiling fan.

And almost one in five millennials couldn't identify the difference between a Phillips head and flat-head screwdriver (82% got it right), compared to 89% of Gen Xers and 91% of boomers who answered correctly. Millennials lagged everyone else in their ability to name tools such as allen wrenches and hacksaws, too.
    (Image credit: Jessica Isaac)

Meanwhile, the categories where millennials boasted the most experience aren't too surprising — nor are they that impressive. Six in 10 millennials have mounted a TV, compared to just a third of boomers. And 86% of millennials have set up a Wi-Fi router, compared to 77% of boomers.

Of course, one reason millennials would have less specific experience around the house is because boomers and Gen Xers have a huge head start. Besides their simple age advantage, previous generations also bought homes earlier in their lives than young people are able to today.

And in the survey, millennials were actually the least likely to say they'd call a handyman for home repairs. A full 85.3% said they or their partner would handle a household repair, compared to 82.5% of Gen Xers and 72.3% of boomers.

Also impressive was how millennials' DIY ethos translated to other parts of life. Millennials were more likely than any other generation to have changed their own motor oil (50%), for example, or to have cooked for a dinner party (83%) — though they were the least likely to have hemmed a pair of pants or prepared their own taxes.

Here's the good news for millennials: At least half of DIY is just the willingness to try. You'll make mistakes and learn from them, and gain more confidence in your ability to fix simple problems or even remodel your home. So when it comes right down to it, handiness really is a state of mind — and millennials seem to have their heads in the right place.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy...ey-2018-258142

The real question here isnt about the Lightbulbs, its about the REFUSAL to TRY. If they wont even try to change a lightbulb, then they will also not put ANY effort into THINKING. This is where you end up with SOCIALISTS. They think ONLY what they are told to think because they do not bother to think for themselves. They expect someone else to do their thinking for them. Part of Entitlements.

Now, that was also an old article, and it was UK. How many HERE can not change a lightbulb due to STUPIDITY?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    The real question here isnt about the Lightbulbs, its about the REFUSAL to TRY.

I think it's funny how the article I posted (post #28) seems to conclude by being an apologist for millenials. It says they are willing to try, but that did not appear to be part of the research. My take is like your take. They want someone else to do it.

I also found that article interesting in that millenials applaud themselves more while have weaker skills. That is probably the result of all the self-esteem accolades they got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast