Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilette makes anti-male commercial

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    After about a decade of that I gave up on it .
    What, shaving?

I don't particularly calibrate my respect for another man with regard to his facial hair, or lack thereof; I find it absurd to assert that respectability is somehow tied to it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I disagree.

They obviously don't care, when they undertake ad campaigns that piss off half their customer base.

Preaching to us and "social justice" is obviously more important to them than selling as many of their products to as many people as possible in order to increase profits, increase return to shareholders and increase employee pay and benefits.

Now, that said, they will care when they are out on the street, and Gillette is out of business.

Let's make them the next "Go Woke Go Broke" company.
    Dafuq was woke about it!?

How am I missing this apparently obvious message? Other than a passing reference to "#MeToo", there wasn't anything that should be offensive to the libertarian sensibility... don't get into fights, and don't objectify women... how is that SJW posturing!?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    What, shaving?

I don't particularly calibrate my respect for another man with regard to his facial hair, or lack thereof; I find it absurd to assert that respectability is somehow tied to it.
    Yes , shaving outdoors in the winter is what turned me against it. I assumed everyone would think I was lazy , but did not care . I also realized that it would only be a matter of time before it was in style again.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yes , shaving outdoors in the winter is what turned me against it. I assumed everyone would think I was lazy , but did not care . I also realized that it would only be a matter of time before it was in style again.
    Ah, gotcha. Yes, I can't imagine shaving outdoors in the winter is particularly pleasant.

For the record, that wasn't exactly what I was peddling... more the idea that facial hair is somehow tied to masculinity. I contend that the fellow being portrayed in that scene was more of a man than anyone trotting around with a manicured beard these days, but that's just me maybe...

The only thing that I noticed vis-a-vis the whole culture warz franchise was a rather quick and passing reference to the "#MeToo" thing... Other than that (and I'll grant you that), all I saw was an ad that promoted manners, really. There wasn't anything emasculating about the ad, unless you consider cat-calling women and brawling to be particularly masculine attributes.

We come off no better than teh snowflakez when we make a big deal about things such as this. This is nothing.
    That shows how poorly you are paying attention. Not just to the commercial, but everything. I heard a reference to SJWspeak almost once a second. So did almost everybody else here, because they are paying attention too.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Notice that the ad is in the "unlisted" category, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) means it doesn't show up in search results and can only be viewed by direct link. Not intended for mass viewing...

When all the soy boys stop growing hair due to the estrogen, bye bye Gillette.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That shows how poorly you are paying attention. Not just to the commercial, but everything. I heard a reference to SJWspeak almost once a second. So did almost everybody else here, because they are paying attention too.
    Or that your antennae are too sensitive...

Most people will watch that ad and find very little to be objectionable. And most people would be right. The clear takeaways there are that bullying, brawling, and objectifying women are poor behaviors for gentlemen to model. And that is entirely correct.

Yes, I understand that within the context of the current paradigm, it would be easy enough to suss out an SJW narrative here, but we shouldn't be running around looking for goblins behind every blade of grass - there was nothing emasculating about the ad, and that's frankly a victory in today's climate. I found nothing about the ad to be particularly anti-male. If I'm missing something, please point it out.
    Last edited by A Son of Liberty; 01-14-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Most people will watch that ad and find very little to be objectionable. And most people would be right. The clear takeaways there are that bullying, brawling, and objectifying women are poor behaviors for gentlemen to model.

Yes, I understand that within the context of the current paradigm, it would be easy enough to suss out an SJW narrative here, but we shouldn't be running around looking for goblins behind every blade of grass - there was nothing emasculating about the ad, and that's frankly a victory in today's climate. I found nothing about the ad to be particularly anti-male. If I'm missing something, please point it out.
    Women bully people more than men (ask a woman) - women are violent towards children far more than men (ask a scientist) - almost all women these days are attracted to men who objectify them and loath men who are attracted to them in a healthy way (ask Christian Grey)

But hey, men are the bad guys, right? We need to work on ourselves. Women are so great. They are so strong. There is nothing wrong with women.. there is no way they can improve. We just need men to get out of their way so they can become great. It's all our fault.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-14-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Most people will watch that ad and find very little to be objectionable. And most people would be right. The clear takeaways there are that bullying, brawling, and objectifying women are poor behaviors for gentlemen to model. And that is entirely correct.

I'm offended by its lack of minority actors. The director was clearly a white supremacist, otherwise they would have put in at least 1 black and Hispanic bbq chef in the scene.

Women bully people more than men (ask a woman) - women are violent towards children far more than men (ask a scientist) - almost all women these days are attracted to men who objectify them and loath men who are attracted to them in a healthy way (ask Christian Grey)

But hey, men are the bad guys, right? We need to work on ourselves. Women are so great. They are so strong. There is nothing wrong with women.. there is no way they can improve. We just need men to get out of their way so they can become great. It's all our fault.
    It's an ad for men's shaving cream, so...

Calm down a little. Speaking for myself, I didn't feel the least bit bad about myself as a man when I watched that ad. If you did, maybe you need to work on you a little bit.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm offended by its lack of minority actors. The director was clearly a white supremacist, otherwise they would have put in at least 1 black and Hispanic bbq chef in the scene.
    lol

It's an ad for men's shaving cream, so...

Calm down a little. Speaking for myself, I didn't feel the least bit bad about myself as a man when I watched that ad. If you did, maybe you need to work on you a little bit.
    Well I guess when everything is completely $#@!ed, you will still be clueless as to why.

Well I guess when everything is completely $#@!ed, you will still be clueless as to why.
    Why, because I didn't feel bad about myself as a man when I watched this ad? Or because I'm not outraged about this ad?

You want me to be pissed off about things, I can be pissed off about things. This just doesn't rate for me. Sorry.

And again, if we want to look like a bunch of cranks who can't hold their $#@! together every time someone sneezes in a way we don't approve, good luck doing anything about the things that piss you off. The people around you are gonna just be like, "yeah yeah, I hear ya", then turn their backs and say "oooookay, whackadoo".

Banned

Blog Entries
    Why, because I didn't feel bad about myself as a man when I watched this ad? Or because I'm not outraged about this ad?

You want me to be pissed off about things, I can be pissed off about things. This just doesn't rate for me. Sorry.

And again, if we
    Who is this "we" you are so concerned about looking like a bunch of cranks?

Why are you trying to use persuasive language. Why not just say what you feel about the ad, and be done with it?

I've known for a long time corporations are specifically targeting propaganda to the unintelligent masses for their premature medical disposal in a litany of modern ailments and deaths.. ...but as I see the masses apathy to the situation, I start to almost admire the corporations, and their laser-focued surgical removals of human idiocy from the gene-pool. Does that make me a Nazi, or should I keep wasting my breath warning the "sheeple"?

Those sicknesses will all be quite painful in all their little ways, but omelettes and eggs. Buh-bye weakest links.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21
    Notice that the ad is in the "unlisted" category, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) means it doesn't show up in search results and can only be viewed by direct link. Not intended for mass viewing...
    See above. This was a targeted strike. Possibly AI gathering tool, so youtube can watch downvotes and comments, more censorship fodder.
    Last edited by UWDude; 01-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Dafuq was woke about it!?

How am I missing this apparently obvious message? Other than a passing reference to "#MeToo", there wasn't anything that should be offensive to the libertarian sensibility... don't get into fights, and don't objectify women... how is that SJW posturing!?
    What part of the business model of making razors does it include lecturing me about manners?

And just a passing reference to PoundMeToo should be enough to dismiss the clip as nothing SJW posturing.

#BelieveAllWomen...due process and Fourth Amendment and all that nonsense be damned, amirite?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Pipe down cisgender $#@!lord.

It needs LBTGTRBBQ role models.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Banned

Blog Entries
    Speaking for myself, I didn't feel the least bit bad about myself as a man when I watched that ad. If you did, maybe you need to work on you a little bit.
    I am just fine with myself, and who I am, both as a man, and as a human being, and as part of the higher consciousness.
    I don't need to reflect on myself after watching a $#@!ing ad put out by Procter & Gamble.
    Sorry, I stopped attending The Holy Church of Television Ads about 30 years ago.
    Maybe you should consider switching who you get your sermons from.
    My soul mind and spirit are centered so tightly they are focused.
    I do not need or appreciate your advice for happiness.
    And I certainly don't need it from a razor company.
    Last edited by UWDude; 01-14-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I am just fine with myself, and who I am, both as a man, and as a human being, and as part of the higher consciousness.
    I don't need to reflect on myself after watching a $#@!ing ad put out by Procter & Gamble.
    Sorry, I stopped attending The Holy Church of Television Ads about 30 years ago.
    Maybe you should consider switching who you get your sermons from.
    My soul mind and spirit are centered so tightly they are focused.
    I do not need or appreciate your advice for happiness.
    And I certainly don't need it from a razor company.
    I'm not taking sermons from P&G, the pulpit, or from you.

I didn't offer you any advice, other than that maybe just maybe lighten up a little.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What part of the business model of making razors does it include lecturing me about manners?
    Nothing, but how often do ads have anything to do with the product?

And just a passing reference to PoundMeToo should be enough to dismiss the clip as nothing SJW posturing.

#BelieveAllWomen...due process and Fourth Amendment and all that nonsense be damned, amirite?
    NONE OF THAT WAS IN THE AD.

Jeezus people...

Nothing, but how often do ads have anything to do with the product?
    NONE OF THAT WAS IN THE AD.
    Jeezus people...
    So you didn't get the impression that the ad was implying that all/most men exhibit this poor behavior?

So you didn't get the impression that the ad was implying that all/most men exhibit this poor behavior?
    I didn't, but I could see where one might get that impression.

But I think that most men exhibit poor behavior these days, and that they could benefit from the message that I got myself - that objectifying women, bullying, and brawling isn't behavior that gentlemen exhibit. Nothing wrong with that.

It's hilarious you think I "felt bad" watching it..

I don't bully people, except for the occasional RPF troll.. I don't assault women, harass women, belittle women or anything like that. I treat women very respectfully.

Guess what that makes me?

Single.

You want to know who women are $#@!ing? Guys with face tats. Guys who beat their girlfriends. Guys who don't give a $#@! about them, or really anything for that matter. Why? Because the same people who made that ad are out there telling women to empower themselves. You don't need a guy who is kind, loyal and committed to raise your family. You can do that on your own. So just go out and $#@! all of the complete losers, get them on child support and pick up welfare from the government. Or find some wealthy sociopath who owns a helicopter..

Don't you see the mixed signals? That ad is a $#@!ing joke. If women really wanted men to behave better, they would $#@! guys who were well behaved. Instead, they talk about how they want guys to act, then end up $#@!ing the exact opposite. Guess what that produces? First, they take the DNA from these douchebags and insert them into their children. Second, they take guys who would otherwise be normal dudes and turn them into douchebags because that is how they can get laid.

But hey, keep blaming this all on "men" and let's see how far you get with that. Let's keep making ads telling men to behave better, let's see how their lives improve.. LOL.. sorry, but you are really clueless

Banned

Blog Entries
    maybe lighten up a little.
    maybe you need to work on you a little bit.
    no.
    I dont have to.
    Instead, I will begin to draw from within the well of hatred I feel for your weak soul, so the two of us can open a channel of incursion.

I think this is just outrage-porn for the conservative-cum-libertarian type, and - again - it's no better than snowflake behavior quite frankly.

There are things in the world to be outraged by, to be sure. And I'd agree that this ad flirts with the whole *men 're bad, mkay* culture d'jour... but let's have a little sense about us - nothing about this ad was emasculating; nothing about it tore down the traditional conception of masculinity... unless you associate the poor behaviors of cat-calling, brawling and bullying with masculinity. But then that would be on you, not the ad.

dupe
    Last edited by A Son of Liberty; 01-14-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: dupe

no.
    I dont have to.
    Instead, I will begin to draw from within the well of hatred I feel for your weak soul, so the two of us can open a channel of incursion.

Grow up, keyboard commando.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's hilarious you think I "felt bad" watching it..

I don't bully people, except for the occasional RPF troll.. I don't assault women, harass women, belittle women or anything like that. I treat women very respectfully.

Guess what that makes me?

Single.

You want to know who women are $#@!ing? Guys with face tats. Guys who beat their girlfriends. Guys who don't give a $#@! about them, or really anything for that matter. Why? Because the same people who made that ad are out there telling women to empower themselves. You don't need a guy who is kind, loyal and committed to raise your family. You can do that on your own. So just go out and $#@! all of the complete losers, get them on child support and pick up welfare from the government. Or find some wealthy sociopath who owns a helicopter..

Don't you see the mixed signals? That ad is a $#@!ing joke. If women really wanted men to behave better, they would $#@! guys who were well behaved. Instead, they talk about how they want guys to act, then end up $#@!ing the exact opposite. Guess what that produces? First, they take the DNA from these douchebags and insert them into their children. Second, they take guys who would otherwise be normal dudes and turn them into douchebags because that is how they can get laid.

But hey, keep blaming this all on "men" and let's see how far you get with that. Let's keep making ads telling men to behave better, let's see how their lives improve.. LOL.. sorry, but you are really clueless
    Holy $#@!. I guess we watched different ads.

Whatever. I didn't blame anything on "all men", and I didn't accuse you or anyone of bullying anyone, or anything like that. ALL I SAID WAS I DIDN'T THINK THIS AD WAS SOME ANTI-MALE PROPAGANDA PIECE.

Jeezus, this place sometimes...

Banned

Blog Entries

Grow up, keyboard commando.
    Disbelief was the intended response.
    Don't worry about the rest.
    Or your balls.

But here is my advice to you: I'd check the left one for a lump, Febreezey.
    Just kidding. It's your liver that is the problem.
    You'll find out in the July sun sign.
    Last edited by UWDude; 01-14-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Holy $#@!. I guess we watched different ads.

Whatever. I didn't blame anything on "all men", and I didn't accuse you or anyone of bullying anyone, or anything like that. ALL I SAID WAS I DIDN'T THINK THIS AD WAS SOME ANTI-MALE PROPAGANDA PIECE.

Jeezus, this place sometimes...

maybe lighten up a little
    Now, after disbelief, male testosterone competitive rage. The subject is prone, and ready for the psionic attack. It is a faite complis.

It is a little ironic, don'cha think? A little too-ooh ironic.

And then we open the other channel. And I close.
    This was not born of hatred, merely curiosity.
    That is why you could not see, or fathom.
    I need a more challenging victim.
    Last edited by UWDude; 01-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Disbelief was the intended response.
    Don't worry about the rest.
    Or your balls.

But here is my advice to you: I'd check the left one for a lump, Febreezey.
    Just kidding. It's your liver that is the problem.
    Lol ok. Thanks, I'll look into that.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast