Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Full size FWD electric pickup truck with 300 mile range and 15 minute FULL recharge time

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Can I carry electricity for it in a jerrycan?
    Keep a diesel generator or a an engine drive welder in the bed.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You were saying the idea of carrying an onboard generator to charge the batteries as needed was a stupid engineering idea that nobody would touch.

I'm simply pointing out to you, that concept has been in use for almost 100 years now on every diesel/electric railroad locomotive in the world.

Hardly a "stupid" idea.
    Following the context of the argument we were having, the idea would be stupid. Remember, we were talking about ways to fix the problem of a driver running out of juice in an electric charged vehicle and Dannno's idea was to add on an ICE so that it can be used to charge the vehicle's batteries. That idea is a stupid one that virtually no engineer would come up with.

Untrue.

The Honda Insight is a true hybrid, in that its prime movers are electric motors powered by an onboard battery bank that can charged from grid power or by the onboard ICE generator.

This was why it was able to achieve 80+ MPG.

Every other "hybrid" out there now is an ICE vehicle with electric propulsion backup.
    Well, the Honda insight does not have a wall charger i.e. it gets all its battery charging from the ICE, potential energy management, breaking system. From what I understand, the computer system switches between a combination of battery, ICE and ICE/battery when moving and charges the battery when it find itself with extra energy.

So, the ICE is still not there solely to charge the battery

I've yet to be excited by any electric vehicles, but this one...maybe.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    It is coming,, and not a bad idea..

As the Batteries (energy storage) improve.. There are already several dependable electric trucks.. with less range.

Think Diesel Electric Trains. The Electromotive aspect is proven and efficient...

Hybrid Pickup.. with a Small gen-set Charging system. (or Fuel Cell)
    I am no fan of turning control over to a computer,,, but I do like the potential for Electric vehicles.

Torque from 0.

and this,
    https://offgridworld.com/industrial-...percapacitors/
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Electric vehicles are nice and all, but if they are trying to reduce some sort of carbon footprint, I've been reading that photovoltaic solar panels don't produce enough electricity in their lifetime to even produce the necessary power to make a new solar panel.

As a kid, my mother bought a kit so I could make a photovoltaic cell. After grinding the silicon chip that had been produced on the electrodes of an electric oven, I doped the surface and had to bake it at 3000 degrees for an hour in a pottery kiln. Then after plating nickel on the back and strips on the front, grind the edges so it wasn't shorted. I then soldered on the leads and it was able to produce 1.5 volts.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Well, the Honda insight does not have a wall charger i.e. it gets all its battery charging from the ICE, potential energy management, breaking system. From what I understand, the computer system switches between a combination of battery, ICE and ICE/battery when moving and charges the battery when it find itself with extra energy.

So, the ICE is still not there solely to charge the battery
    Now you're the one not understanding his point.

There are two ways to do a hybrid automobile. You can take a conventional vehicle, say one with front wheel drive, and add motor/generator(s) to, say, the rear wheels, and a system and a battery. Now, this vehicle has the weight of a conventional drive line, the weight of the motor(s), and the weight of the battery. It recaptures braking energy, and it's easy for an experienced driver to operate. But it's way, way overweight.

Or you can do what locomotive builders did. You can take an electric vehicle and add an engine-driven generator to it. No heavy transmission is required, because all the power the engine makes can be transmitted to the wheels through the wheel motor/generators. With no transmission, clearly the engine can only have one job: It turns the main generator.

Batteries are heavy enough without hauling an automatic transaxle around too. See what he means?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    That wasn't what he was talking about. He was talking about dannno sitting by the side of the highway running a thousand horse engine at full throttle until his batteries were full instead of getting his ass on down the road.
    I was thinking more along the lines of charging it up while camping down in Baja at some beach over a hundred miles from the nearest tiny farming village and awful dirt road to get there. I don't think they will have charging stations down there. You can get gas in milk jugs tho.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-13-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I wonder if you could carry a generator, run it for 15 minutes, and charge the entire battery?

There is a huge cargo area in the front where the engine normally is.. could probably throw it in there and still have your entire bed free.
    I was thinking more along the lines of charging it up while camping down in Baja at some beach over a hundred miles from the nearest tiny farming village and awful dirt road to get there. I don't think they will have charging stations down there. You can get gas in milk jugs tho.
    Why on Earth would you feel the need to charge it in fifteen minutes if you're camping? Do you have any idea how much horsepower that would take? If you put that kind of power to the wheels--three hundred miles' worth in fifteen minutes--theoretically you'd be doing 1200 mph.

What's the matter with running a little Onan for a few hours?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Following the context of the argument we were having, the idea would be stupid. Remember, we were talking about ways to fix the problem of a driver running out of juice in an electric charged vehicle and Dannno's idea was to add on an ICE so that it can be used to charge the vehicle's batteries. That idea is a stupid one that virtually no engineer would come up with.
    It's already being done, that's what I'm trying to tell you.

It's called a "series" hybrid, where the onboard ICE is there ONLY to charge the batteries, and there is NO way to connect it's output power to the wheels.

My mistake was thinking that the current Insight was series hybrid.

But here is Cadillac's version:

Cadillac ELR

The Cadillac ELR is essentially a more luxurious, more expensive, and less efficient Chevrolet Volt with two fewer doors, a smaller battery, and a smaller engine. Despite those downsides, it is quite a bit quicker than the Volt, with the run to 60 mph taking 6.4 seconds. If that’s not enough for you, a Performance Package is available that includes 20-inch summer tires, a sport-tuned suspension, and 4-piston Brembo brakes. The 17.1-kWh battery is good for an all-electric range of 40 miles and fuel economy is rated at 32 mpg combined when the 84-horsepower 1.4-liter 4-cylinder range extender kicks in.

"Range Extender" is the PR geek's way of saying...onboard ICE generator to charge batteries.

And the very idea of a "series hybrid", an all electric vehicle with a small onboard generator to re-charge the batteries, was invented by that well known automotive "idiot" Ferdinand Porsche in 1900
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

It's called a "series" hybrid, where the onboard ICE is there ONLY to charge the batteries, and there is NO way to connect it's output power to the wheels.
    You aren't wrong. Not even a tiny bit. But I see why he's confused.

Just there to charge the batteries? Or there to keep them from being discharged? No way to mechanically connect the engine to any wheels, yes. But no way to 'connect its output'?

Remember, no existing diesel-electric locomotive is a hybrid. Power generated goes straight to the traction motors...

They manage to move a lot of 600 volt electricity around without ever sticking it in a battery.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.

And that, folks, is the bottom line and what this is all about.

Our rulers have hated, for 100 years now, that cars became what they are, tools of mobility and freedom for the masses and not left as elaborate toys for the wealthy and ruling classes.

This putsch against ICE vehicles is the final one...the last step to getting all herded up together into "green" supercities.
    Freedom incentivizes innovation and invention. Monopolies crush it, and stalls innovation.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Fold-able Solar Panels
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Just there to charge the batteries? Or there to keep them from being discharged? No way to mechanically connect the engine to any wheels, yes. But no way to 'connect its output'?

Remember, no existing diesel-electric locomotive is a hybrid. Power generated goes straight to the traction motors...

They manage to move a lot of 600 volt electricity around without ever sticking it in a battery.
    Actually they use Both.. The Batteries balance the Load.. rather than power the motors directly.

Several manufacturers are approaching differently,,, and I do NOT care for some designs.. Others are showing potential..

Development will bring improvements,, but it is just reaching the Practical application reality.. Batteries still need improvement..

I personally like a Battery/Supercondenser with AC Motor and regenerative Braking..
    Batteries Hold deep power,, but release it slowly and charge slowly.. Supercondensers Charge quick and dump Power on Demand better than batteries. They can take the overcharge from braking and trickle it to the batteries.

A small efficient ICE generator could be used for added range,, (Small Trailer/Trunk mount)

But presently,, Batteries can handle most common commuting and shopping runs.

I could give a $#@! about Carbon Footprint.. This is just practical sense.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I agree, Pete. I still like gas turbines for hybrids. They're smooth. They run on any flammable liquid or gas. They make instant heat.

They aren't quick to accelerate unless you waste fuel spinning it up before the light turns green. A turbine is like a turbocharged engine. There's turbo lag. They have to spool up before they put out. They aren't economical.

But in a series hybrid, they only turn the generators, and with batteries and capacitors, the turbine can run at a constant speed until you have stored enough juice. And if you build a front wheel drive turbine, a motor in back will give you good, instant rear drive acceleration and a smooth, stable front turbine on the front wheels will maintain your speed.

This straight electric nonsense is just a way to prevent road trips. I'll fight it. I like road trips.

This straight electric nonsense is just a way to prevent road trips. I'll fight it. I like road trips.
    Like this,,

http://liquidpiston.com/

Some type of Range extender is necessary for road trips.. An efficient Generator..

Those I have seen in production are hardly efficient,,

Turbine,,liquid Piston,, or an efficient Diesel,, charging batteries and supplementing power could give 100mpg. with home charging for general use... for most folks,, a commuter car could run electric only. Currently.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Yes, you are correct, there is no direct mechanical connection to the drive wheels.

A mobile populace is a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    A mobile populace is a threat.
    Yeah. That.

I have always called it a jerrycan. And yea, jerrican, jerrycan or jerry can are correct spellings for it

Look it up.

That is all trivial compared to the love between a man and his horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123