Thread: Are AR-15 Rifles a Public Safety Threat? Here's What the Data Say

Are AR-15 Rifles a Public Safety Threat? Here's What the Data Say

How many murders involve rifles like the AR-15?

If we take the time to look at the raw data provided by the FBI, we find that all rifles, not just “assault-style rifles,” constitute on average 340 homicides per year from 2007 through 2017 (see Figure 1.). When we adjust these numbers to take under-reporting into account, that number rises to an average of 439 per year.
    Figure 2 compares rifle homicides to homicides with other non-firearm weapons. Believe it or not, between 2007 and 2017, nearly 1,700 people were murdered with a knife or sharp object per year. That’s almost four times the number of people murdered by an assailant with any sort of rifle.

According to a
    New York Timesanalysis, since 2007, at least “173 people have been killed in mass shootings in the United States involving AR-15s.”

https://fee.org/articles/are-ar-15-r...rce=zapier&utm

To me, gun people should bring up these stats constantly. "Assault weapons" make up just north of zero percent of murders each year. An assault weapons ban would do nothing and anyone who advocates it is really using it to start the debate for mass gun confiscation.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    https://fee.org/articles/are-ar-15-r...rce=zapier&utm

To me, gun people should bring up these stats constantly. "Assault weapons" make up just north of zero percent of murders each year. An assault weapons ban would do nothing and anyone who advocates it is really using it to start the debate for mass gun confiscation.
    People are a threat to pubic safety, the tools are subordinate.

How many triggers of the assault rifle deaths were pulled by cops?

Once they take everyone elses arms I will be the only one armed .
    Do something Danke

The quote in the OP says:

If we take the time to look at the raw data provided by the FBI, we find that all rifles, not just “assault-style rifles,” constitute on average 340 homicides per year from 2007 through 2017 (see Figure 1.). When we adjust these numbers to take under-reporting into account, that number rises to an average of 439 per year.
    Figure 2 compares rifle homicides to homicides with other non-firearm weapons. Believe it or not, between 2007 and 2017, nearly 1,700 people were murdered with a knife or sharp object per year. That’s almost four times the number of people murdered by an assailant with any sort of rifle.
    But notice that it compares homicides with rifles to murders with knives.

Most homicides are not murders. At least in general, I don't know if most are when it's narrowed down to rifles being used.

I haven't read the article, but the way it switches between these terms suggests some carelessness.

In anything (assuming the statistics in the quote provided use the terms accurately, which may not be the case), the numbers given support the point even more strongly than the author understood, since the number of murders with rifles is even lower than the 439 homicides.

Most gun deaths are suicides and most homicides are committed by somebody who knows the victim or is a family member. Mass shootings get the most press even though they account for the smallest percent of gun deaths (and semi-automatic rifles are more often the weapon used in those).

What is the percentage of people who own assault style weapons?

I was intrigued with knives when I was much younger. I was thinking of carrying a knife for defense. I was advised to carry a gun instead. I was told never kill anyone with a knife. Stabbing is very much intent. up close and personal. Was told you were more likely to go to jail after stabbing someone than after shooting someone.

The only other murder weapon used less than rifles is arson.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/crime/...s-weapons-used

Twice as many people murdered by bare hands than by rifles.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Most gun deaths are suicides and most homicides are committed by somebody who knows the victim or is a family member. Mass shootings get the most press even though they account for the smallest percent of gun deaths (and semi-automatic rifles are more often the weapon used in those).
    False.

Handguns are the most often used weapon in mass shootings.

More than twice as often.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-types-used/
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    False.

Handguns are the most often used weapon in mass shootings.

More than twice as often.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-types-used/
    Thanks for the info. Seems semi-auto pistols are more popular. (also depends on how one defines a "mass shooting") Smaller, easier to conceal, and still capable of killing many people quickly.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

(while again noting that mass shootings are very rare events)
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Most gun deaths are fatal,
    most deaths from stabbings are fatal.

Mass shootings are like climate change. Nothing new just newly hyped.

Yeah, but what about if you add a killer bump stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again