Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump floats path to citizenship for specialized visa holders

Trump floats path to citizenship for specialized visa holders

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...olders-1096931

President Donald Trump seemingly teased plans for broader immigration reform on Friday, tweeting that he is open to a path to citizenship for holders of a visa for high-skilled workers known as H1-B.

The social media post comes as the White House negotiates with congressional Democrats to strike a deal to end the ongoing government shutdown, now in its 21st day. Trump has thus far refused to reopen the government unless Congress appropriates money for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, but on Friday seemed to suggest that he would be open larger immigration reform proposals.

H1-B holders in the United States can rest assured that changes are soon coming which will bring both simplicity and certainty to your stay, including a potential path to citizenship,” Trump wrote online Friday morning.

The H1-B program is frequently used by tech companies in the U.S. to bring in highly skilled foreign workers for specialized, in-demand jobs and has been a target of the Trump administration over to criticisms that it displaces American workers. The program grants 65,000 employment visas each year, plus an additional 20,000 for U.S. master's degree holders, but the Trump administration’s eagerness to limit immigration has added a measure of uncertainty for visa holders and the companies looking to employ them.

Though the Trump administration has sought to clamp down on abuses of the program alleged by members of both parties in Congress, the president's tweet Friday highlighted its advantages.

“We want to encourage talented and highly skilled people to pursue career options in the U.S.,” he said.

While Trump hinted Friday that he might be interested in broader immigration reform, shutdown negotiations thus far have mostly steered clear of issues unrelated to the border wall even though members of both parties have indicated that other immigration issues might offer fodder for a compromise to be struck.

Democratic leaders, wary of Trump’s mercurial nature, have repeatedly said that they were not interested in striking any deal with the president that would trade wall funding for other immigration priorities, though those proposals would most likely involve a path to citizenship or other protections for so-called Dreamers.

During a visit Thursday to the southern border, Trump told reporters that he would be open to a deal to help immigrants brought into the U.S. illegally as children, though he declined to link it directly to reopening the government.

"We want to help the Dreamers," he said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another dumb troll thread. Bring back PRB. At least he was interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    JUST. STOP.

Zippy is NOT trolling the forum. It is NOT Zippy who's spreading hate, division, and fear, while continually insulting and calling other members names. Maybe you better check in more often.

Plus Zippy's posts, whether you agree with them or not, are very useful.
    There is no spoon.

No, it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    JUST. STOP.

Plus Zippy's posts...
    Seriously, don't you think PRB was better at his craft than ZippyJuan? Zip is a dullard. A shell of himself, really. And don't get me started on TheCount. He's a morose progressive whose walking dead name befits him.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    No, it's real.
    PRB was the real deal!

So much for jobs for Americans first. We are a nation with a glut of highly skilled unemployed college graduates and people whom had life long careers in the field. Trump just pretty much said $#@! these Americans and he is going to make sure people living in India right now are taken of.

This is the greatest betrayal of Trump's presidency. He betrayed his own campaign promises, his supporters and every American tech worker or wannabe tech worker in the US.

Let the Dems impeach his ass. I'm out.
    Last edited by kahless; 01-11-2019 at 09:57 PM.

JUST. STOP.

Zippy is NOT trolling the forum. It is NOT Zippy who's spreading hate, division, and fear, while continually insulting and calling other members names. Maybe you better check in more often.

He just wants attention- and today he is getting plenty. Ignore him and he goes away. Democratic Underground most likely.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-11-2019 at 05:16 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He just wants attention- and today he is getting plenty.
    So I trolled the troll?

Trump floats path to citizenship for specialized visa holders

Speaking of floating.

JUST. STOP.

I'm still waiting for you to call out Influenza or Son of Liberty or any of the other leftists who abuse people horribly on this forum.

You are like Mitt Romney, you only demand civility of the people to the right of you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

So much for jobs for Americans first. We are a nation with a glut of highly skilled unemployed college graduates and people whom had life long careers in the field. Trump just pretty much said $#@! these Americans and he is going to make sure people living in India's right now are taken of.

This is the greatest betrayal of Trump's presidency. He betrayed his own campaign promises, his supporters and every American tech worker or wannabe tech worker in the US.

Let the Dems impeach his ass. I'm out.
    This must be the Indian reparations Danke mentioned .
    Do something Danke

This is you being a troll.

Trump negotiates. Nobody should be shocked if the Dreamers get citizenship, because that's always been on the table. I just wonder what he's going to get in return?

Let's not. Let's just continue to pray that Zippy some day realizes that he isn't one of us and doesn't belong here.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This must be the Indian reparations Danke mentioned .
    heh. Seriously though Trump is clearly helping the wrong Indians. It is mind blowing how this is not a huge issue. The people here, Native Americans, Americans or what have you should come first over foreigners. This should not even be controversial but rather a given. But we have a President and politicians in both parties virtue signaling otherwise.

It is bull$#@!. Americans of all ethnic, religious and racial groups should band together to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This is you being a troll.

Trump negotiates. Nobody should be shocked if the Dreamers get citizenship, because that's always been on the table. I just wonder what he's going to get in return?
    This isn't about Dreamers, this is about H1bs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    This isn't about Dreamers, this is about H1bs.
    The headline is, but read the last couple lines of the article.

heh. Seriously though Trump is clearly helping the wrong Indians. It is mind blowing how this is not a huge issue. The people here, Native Americans, Americans or what have you should come first over foreigners. This should not even be controversial but rather a given. But we have a President and politicians in both parties virtue signaling otherwise.

It is bull$#@!. Americans of all ethnic, religious and racial groups should band together to stop it.
    I agree 100% but I am also hoping that he is just trying to look like he isn't "racist" and is willing to offer the Demoncrats a deal but he won't actually do anything and he knows the Demoncrats won't make any deal, not even a deal with DACA/DREAMER amnesty because they want wide open borders forever until there are no borders and no USA at all.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Let's not. Let's just continue to pray that Zippy some day realizes that he isn't one of us and doesn't belong here.
    It would be an echo chamber without him and from what I have seen at least he backs up his beliefs whether right or wrong rather than low information or personal attacks. I saw a few threads of his today where what he posted cannot really be disputed. Sometimes the opposition gets it right.

The headline is, but read the last couple lines of the article.
    I see, well I hope that he is just trying to look like he isn't "racist" and is willing to offer the Demoncrats a deal but he won't actually do anything and he knows the Demoncrats won't make any deal, not even a deal with DACA/DREAMER amnesty because they want wide open borders forever until there are no borders and no USA at all.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It would be an echo chamber without him and from what I have seen at least he backs up his beliefs whether right or wrong rather than low information or personal attacks. I saw a few threads of his today where what he posted cannot really be disputed. Sometimes the opposition gets it right.
    There is enough diversity of opinion here without someone whose entire purpose is to disrupt the movement and deceive.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I agree 100% but I am also hoping that he is just trying to look like he isn't "racist" and is willing to offer the Demoncrats a deal but he won't actually do anything and he knows the Demoncrats won't make any deal, not even a deal with DACA/DREAMER amnesty because they wan't wide open borders forever until there are no borders and no USA at all.
    Everything is considered racist, the word has completely lost it's power and meaning. So what was the point of backing down when no matter what you do you are going to be called racist anyway. He should have just stood his ground on his campaign platform. Instead he has mainstreamed Democratic and establishment Republican party policies of amnesty as a given and indisputable.

It is not like we all did not know he might do something like this given this what he has done throughout his career but he was all we had at the time.

There is enough diversity of opinion here without someone whose entire purpose is to disrupt the movement and deceive.
    There is a diversity of low information opposition.

Everything is considered racist, the word has completely lost it's power and meaning. So what was the point of backing down when no matter what you do you are going to be called racist anyway. He should have just stood his ground on his campaign platform. Instead he has mainstreamed Democratic and establishment Republican party policies of amnesty as a given and indisputable.

It is not like we all did not know he might do something like this given this what he has done throughout his career but he was all we had at the time.
    I agree, I still think he was "playing chess" with the bumpstock ban etc. too but I said at the time that it was a bad move with no real upside and plenty of downside.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is a diversity of low information opposition.
    I think zippy drives away more people than he is worth, the same is true of several other trolls who don't even have the argument in their favor that you are making for zippy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I think zippy drives away more people than he is worth, the same is true of several other trolls who don't even have the argument in their favor that you are making for zippy.
    ANd some of the people that Zippy drove away were the people who donated to activist causes through the forums. I can't imagine making an argument that his "opinions" are worth more to the movement than actual cash and support.

ANd some of the people that Zippy drove away were the people who donated to activist causes through the forums. I can't imagine making an argument that his "opinions" are worth more to the movement than actual cash and support.
    Don't tell anyone but Zippy owns the site.

Yep.

I'm in email contact with some of those members driven off by paid trolls. I've tried in vain to bring back one long time member who won't budge.

I like to yuck it up here sometimes, but it's obvious the paid trolls like to suck people into their little high school debates. Even I get sucked in, but these ass clowns need to be crushed out like a sidewalk cigarette.

It's really astounding how some people here defend the blue team of paid trolls--a blue team that has nothing but bad intent for RPF. It's no wonder libertarians lose so much.

Yep.

I'm in email contact with some of those members driven off by paid trolls. I've tried in vain to bring back one long time member who won't budge.

I like to yuck it up here sometimes, but it's obvious the paid trolls like to suck people into their little high school debates. Even I get sucked in, but these ass clowns need to be crushed out like a sidewalk cigarette.

It's really astounding how some people here defend the blue team of paid trolls--a blue team that has nothing but bad intent for RPF. It's no wonder libertarians lose so much.

Unfortunately some people like debating things more than they like getting things done.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So Zippy, this sounds like something you would be for. Are you becoming a Trump supporter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast