Thread: Hyundai Unveils "Walking Car" Concept With Robotic Legs

Hyundai Unveils "Walking Car" Concept With Robotic Legs

Hyundai has unveiled its walking concept car at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    #Hyundai amazes #CES with the #Elevate 'walking' car pic.twitter.com/sHRPUojLVX
    ó Ruptly (@Ruptly) January 8, 2019
    Elevate is the first Ultimate Mobility Vehicle, which Hyundai blended robots and electric cars, allowing it to cross the world's most challenging terrain.

The concept has been in development for several years and was first unveiled to the public Tuesday. Hyundai expects the vehicle will be used one day to save lives in response to natural disasters.

"What if a car designed with robotics could save lives in disasters," said Hyundai executive John Suh, who heads a research arm off the company devoted to innovation.
    Elevate is designed with four mechanical legs that can act like feet. It can roll along on extended legs or retract them to be driven like a car.
    "Extended legs could also be used to climb or crawl while keeping the passenger compartment level," according to David Byron of Sundberg-Ferar, an industrial design consultancy, which is working with Hyundai on the project.

"This design is uniquely capable of both mammalian and reptilian walking gaits, allowing it to move in any direction," Hyundai said in a statement.
    This vehicle can travel at high speeds. The propulsion comes from four electric motors mounted inside each wheel hub.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...r-robotic-legs
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Four electric motors inside ea wheel hub , powered by batteries ? So , not a real car ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Four electric motors inside ea wheel hub , powered by batteries ? So , not a real car ?
    Not until battery tech makes some big leaps.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't know why but for some reason I thought the legs would look similar to the AT-AT Walkers from Star Wars.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 01-11-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge