Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Never Said Mexico Would Pay for The Wall"

"I Never Said Mexico Would Pay for The Wall"

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...uld-write-che/

No, NAFTA/ USMCA will pay for it.
    No, taking money from people sending money to family in Mexico will pay for it.
    No, we have the money and are already building the wall.
    No, the Shutdown Money will pay for it. (whatever that means).
    No, Congress needs to give me my money right now! (even if all these other people are supposedly going to pay for it instead)

As his border wall fight with Democrats continues, President Donald Trump finds himself in the awkward position of having to explain what happened to the idea that Mexico would pay all the costs.

Trump tried to dance out of the apparent contradiction on the White House lawn Jan. 10, the 20th day of a partial government shutdown.

"When during the campaign I would say ‘Mexico is going to pay for it,’ obviously, I never said this, and I never meant they're going to write out a check," Trump told reporters. "I said they're going to pay for it. They are."

Later on the same day while visiting the border in Texas, Trump offered the same logic: "When I say Mexico is going to pay for the wall, that's what I said. Mexico is going to pay. I didn't say they're going to write me a check for $20 billion or $10 billion."

We’ve seen the president try to say he never said something that he very much said before, so we wondered about this case.

Spoiler: Trump has it wrong.

We found several instances over the last few years, and in campaign materials contradicting the president’s statement.

In an April 2016 memo, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he could take to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year," the memo said.

Trump proposed measures to compel Mexico to pay for the wall, such as cutting off remittances sent from undocumented Mexicans in the U.S. via wire transfers.

Then, the memo says, if and when the Mexican government protested, they would be told to pay a lump sum "to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect." The plan lists a few other methods if that didn’t work, like the trade deficit, canceling Mexican visas or increasing visa fees. (Experts have told us there isn’t a connection between the U.S.-Mexico trade deficit and finding money for a wall.)

Trump has amended his "Mexico will pay" pledge many times, though this is the first day we’ve heard him deny that he once called for a large check.

The earliest mention we could find of him pitching a Mexico-funded wall came during a visit to New Hampshire in April 2015 (hat-tip Washington Post). He said he would "take it out" of the trade deficit: "I will take it from out of just a small fraction of the money they’ve been screwing us for over the last number of years."

Then he outlined the lump-sum-in-exchange-for-allowing-remittances idea. As president, he has also thrown out "reimbursement/other," the trade deficit and a "solar wall" that would cut down on Mexico’s bill.

More recently, including during his border trip, Trump says the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USCMA) trade deal will result in Mexico "indirectly" paying for the wall. That argument is also faulty: The deal has not been ratified by each country’s legislature, it lacks new tariffs on Mexican goods coming into the country, and the benefits would go to private businesses.

We’ve compiled a number of his mentions here:

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words." - Trump presidential announcement speech, June 16, 2015

"And, you know, we're building a wall. And it's going to be a great wall. OK? And, by the way, Mexico will pay for it." - CBS Face the Nation, Aug. 23, 2015

"They said, ‘The president of Mexico said they will not, under any circumstance, pay for the wall, what is your comment?’ I said, ‘the wall just got 10 feet higher.’" - Tampa rally, Feb. 12, 2016

"We have a trade deficit with Mexico, that’s why Mexico is going to pay for the wall .. It’s 100 percent … We have a trade deficit with Mexico of $58 billion a year, the wall is going to cost $10 billion. You’re telling me I can’t make that deal? That’s an easy deal."- Trump press conference, March 8, 2016

"We’re going to build a wall, we’re going to build a wall. And Mexico, as sure as you’re standing here, Mexico is going to pay for the wall." - Trump rally in Kansas City, MO, March 12, 2016

"Mexico will pay for the wall!" - Trump tweet, Sept. 1, 2016

"I want to get the wall started. I don’t want to wait a year and a half until I make my deal with Mexico … so in order to get the wall started, Mexico will pay for it, but it’ll be reimbursed." - Trump press conference, Jan. 11, 2017

"Ultimately, it'll come out of what's happening with Mexico. We're going to be starting those negotiations relatively soon. And we will be in a form reimbursed by Mexico, which I've always said." - ABC News interview with David Muir, Jan. 25, 2017

"Well, we're working on a tax reform bill that will reduce our trade deficits, increase American exports and will generate revenue from Mexico that will pay for the wall if we decide to go that route." - Republican retreat in Philadelphia, Jan. 26, 2017

"Eventually, but at a later date so we can get started early, Mexico will be paying, in some form, for the badly needed border wall." - Trump tweet, April 23, 2017

"We're talking about the southern border, lots of sun, lots of heat. We're thinking about building the wall as a solar wall so it creates energy and pays for itself. And this way, Mexico will have to pay much less money." - Trump rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, June 21, 2017

"With Mexico being one of the highest crime Nations in the world, we must have THE WALL. Mexico will pay for it through reimbursement/other." - Trump tweet, Aug. 27, 2017

"One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the wall. That’s right. It may be through reimbursement, but one way or the other, Mexico will pay for the wall." - Joint press conference with Finland President Sauli Niinistö, August 28, 2017

"I don't want to cause a problem. I don't want to cause it. But, in the end -- in the end, Mexico is going to pay for the wall." Trump rally in Nashville, TN, May 29, 2018

"I often stated, ‘One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.’ This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly & anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING FOR THE WALL!" - Trump tweet, Dec. 13, 2018

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Troll thread
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Now I am getting curious who provides Zippy with encouragement to continue trolling here.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-mexi...-5d4846a0b05d/

"I never said Mexico would write a check for the wall!"

The president doubled down moments later, adding, “When I said Mexico will pay for the wall in front of thousands of thousands of people, obviously they’re not going to write a check, but they are paying for the wall indirectly.”

Those comments directly contradict past statements Trump made on his own campaign website, as well as Trump’s own words about Mexico writing a check to Fox News’ Sean Hannity.

An archived DonaldJTrump.com page from March 2016 titled “COMPELLING MEXICO TO PAY FOR THE WALL,” reads, “It’s an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year.”
    https://thinkprogress.org/trump-mexi...-5d4846a0b05d/

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Just ban him for god sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Just ban him for god sake!
    This.

He shouldn't be allowed to troll every thread Zippy makes, no matter how valuable and legitimate it is for this site, just to call him a troll.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.

''I never said you could keep your doctor''
    ''I never said your rates won't go up''
    '' I never said we had 57 states''
    ''I never said the Constitution was seriously flawed''
    '' I never said that no lobbyist would work in the White House''

Sarenzippity:

Everyone in America knows what Trump said and what he meant, he never
    said that they would write a check blah blah........we knew that it would come
    out in trade deals.
    There are other promises he didn't keep, but he still has time to make this good.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    we knew that it would come
    out in trade deals.
    Sarcasm?

Obviously, that's not at all what he promised on the campaign trail.

His whole position in this government shutdown is that he refuses to sign a budget unless it makes American taxpayers, not Mexico, pay for the wall. This is the very thing he promised on the campaign trail, over and over again, that he would not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Sarcasm?

His whole position in this government shutdown is that he refuses to sign a budget unless it makes American taxpayers, not Mexico, pay for the wall. This is the very thing he promised on the campaign trail, over and over again, that he would not do.
    'Over time', but of course that could be 30 years, we need 'something' done now, so , well
    either way, Trump has not kept every promise to be sure, but I like a hella lot of what he has
    done.

Building the wall is probably less important than getting Hillary, Comey, Mueller etc locked up
    but we know damn well that is a pipe dream, never happen' .

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Bill is so right, I use this every day, its got' me out of a ton of jambs.......
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 01-11-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Sarcasm?

That is complete bull$#@!.. He has ALWAYS said, even during his early campaign days, that Mexico will pay for it "some how".

It is the fake news media, and fake news types like you and zippy who have spent 3 years lying your ass off every time it's brought up. You feel so smug with your stupid "gotchas".
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This.

He shouldn't be allowed to troll every thread Zippy makes, no matter how valuable and legitimate it is for this site, just to call him a troll.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Superfluous Man again.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That is complete bull$#@!.. He has ALWAYS said, even during his early campaign days, that Mexico will pay for it "some how".

It is the fake news media, and fake news types like you and zippy who have spent 3 years lying your ass off every time it's brought up. You feel so smug with your stupid "gotchas".
    Jeezus dude...

This is worse than the, "That Swordsmyth posts so much volume and has articles at his fingertips is PROOF that he's NOT a paid shill..."

Just give up, man...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure you can find quotes of him saying lots of things that contradict other things he's said. He has a habit of doing that.

But he famously promised repeatedly and clearly that Mexico, not American taxpayers, would pay for the wall. And his brainless, non-player character, programmed, sycophants (you were probably one of them) shouted it along with him. I don't think he ever suggested on the campaign trail that this could be done by making American taxpayers pay for it, while somehow imagining that they would recoup that cost through some renegotiated trade deal. And, as you can see from Trump's own words during the campaign, posted in post #4 above, they sound a lot more like saying Mexico would write a check for $5 Billion to pay for the wall, then this lame excuse.

There is no conceivable way to harmonize that with his current insistence on making American taxpayers pay for it, except by the kinds of ridiculous sophistry to which he is characteristically resorting.

Let's say we do take him seriously enough in this silly charade to probe his claims a little bit just for laughs. Has he actually pointed out specifically where in this trade deal the $5 Billion for the wall is, so that anybody can actually check him on it, and see: 1) if it's really there at all, and 2) if that money is really coming from Mexico and not American consumers buying things made in Mexico?

Does anybody other than the aforementioned non-player characters really think he's actually bothered to think deeply enough about his own claims to bother doing that even for the sake of his own understanding, much less to be able to explain it to the people he's using this line on?

And if he did that, and were successful, then why would he be demanding that Congress pass a budget that includes money for the wall, when he already renegotiated a trade deal that provided precisely the money he's demanding from them?
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Jeezus dude...

This is worse than the, "That Swordsmyth posts so much volume and has articles at his fingertips is PROOF that he's NOT a paid shill..."

Just give up, man...
    What the $#@! are you talking about? Trump has always said that.. when he was campaigning, he said they would pay for it some how. Through trade deals, or something.. He didn't say that the first time he said it, he didn't say it every time, but he said it plenty of $#@!ing times.

You would know that if you actually bothered listening to Trump or me or anybody posting here who repeated what he said multiple times throughout the campaign.. If all you do is watch $#@!ing CNN all day and listen to zippy's posts then everything you hear is complete bull$#@!.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What the $#@! are you talking about? Trump has always said that.. when he was campaigning, he said they would pay for it some how. Through trade deals, or something.. He didn't say that the first time he said it, he didn't say it every time, but he said it plenty of $#@!ing times.

You would know that if you actually bothered listening to Trump or me or anybody posting here who repeated what he said multiple times throughout the campaign.. If all you do is watch $#@!ing CNN all day and listen to zippy's posts then everything you hear is complete bull$#@!.
    Despite the available goldmine of available quotes from Trump on the campaign trail that promise both one thing and its exact opposite, I don't believe I ever saw any from either him or his supporters that resorted to explaining how Mexico would pay for the wall in a way that could include this current iteration.

I do remember a lot of suggestions they offered about how it would happen. But this wouldn't fit into any of them.

To try to stretch enough wiggle room for this out of the word "somehow" is effectively admitting it was a lie all along.

I'm sure you can find quotes of him saying lots of things that contradict other things he's said. He has a habit of doing that.

But he famously promised repeatedly and clearly that Mexico, not American taxpayers, would pay for the wall. And his brainless, non-player character, programmed, sycophants (you were probably one of them) shouted it along with him. I don't think he ever suggested on the campaign trail that this could be done by making American taxpayers pay for it, while somehow imagining that they would recoup that cost through some renegotiated trade deal. And, as you can see from Trump's own words during the campaign, posted in post #4 above, they sound a lot more like saying Mexico would write a check for $5 Billion to pay for the wall, then this lame excuse.

There is no conceivable way to harmonize that with his current insistence on making American taxpayers pay for it, except by the kinds of ridiculous sophistry to which he is characteristically resorting.

Let's say we do take him seriously enough in this silly charade to probe his claims a little bit just for laughs. Has he actually pointed out specifically where in this trade deal the $5 Billion for the wall is, so that anybody can actually check him on it, and see: 1) if it's really there at all, and 2) if that money is really coming from Mexico and not American consumers buying things made in Mexico?

Does anybody other than the aforementioned non-player characters really think he's actually bothered to think deeply enough about his own claims to bother doing that even for the sake of his own understanding, much less to be able to explain it to the people he's using this line on?

And if he did that, and were successful, then why would he be demanding that Congress pass a budget that includes money for the wall, when he already renegotiated a trade deal that provided precisely the money he's demanding from them?
    Dude, you need to shut the $#@! up and listen for a change instead of yappity yapping..

Trump said hundreds of times on the campaign trail that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

He said dozens of times on the campaign trail that Mexico would pay for the wall "some how", through trade deals or something.

Those are NOT $#@!ing contradictory statements. Every Trump supporter understands this.. Only a completely insane person with TDS thinks those are contradictory statements.

Dude, you need to shut the $#@! up and listen for a change instead of yappity yapping..

Trump said hundreds of times on the campaign trail that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

He said dozens of times on the campaign trail that Mexico would pay for the wall "some how", through trade deals or something.

Those are NOT $#@!ing contradictory statements. Every Trump supporter understands this.. Only a completely insane person with TDS thinks those are contradictory statements.
    Only a completely insane person with TDS thinks those are NOT contradictory statements.
    There is no spoon.

Despite the available goldmine of available quotes from Trump on the campaign trail that promise both one thing and its exact opposite, I don't believe I ever saw any from either him or his supporters that resorted to explaining how Mexico would pay for the wall in a way that could include this current iteration.

I do remember a lot of suggestions they offered about how it would happen. But this wouldn't fit into any of them.

To try to stretch enough wiggle room for this out of the word "somehow" is effectively admitting it was a lie all along.
    He specifically said they would pay for it, maybe under trade deals, or he literally said "some how". Some how includes pretty much $#@!ing anything. But since all you do is yappity yap instead of listen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Only a completely insane person with TDS thinks those are NOT contradictory statements.
    Saying Mexico will pay for the wall some how, and saying Mexico will pay for the wall, are not in fact contradictory statements. Do you even ah-speaky the english bro?

Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall, he didn't say how they would pay. He's already made Mexico pay for the wall, by leveraging tariffs against China which increases the balance of trade towards the US which causes Mexico to have a weaker bargaining position in both government & corporate deals.

So Mexico already paid for it, and they'll keep paying for it, for as long as Trump is President.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is literally retarded that we are having this debate 3 years later.. this has been debated for three $#@!ing years..

Originally Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall. Then in a speech he said they might pay for it through trade deals or something. Then retards start saying, "ah hah!! so Mexico won't pay for the wall!" No, idiot, they will pay for it through trade deals, or some other way. That is how it has always been framed.

Trump supporters get a lot of flack for being "slow", but no Trump supporter is confused by this. They understand it perfectly. None of them have a problem with it. You have to be like IQ 70 not to understand that Mexico paying for the wall through trade deals is not contradictory to Mexico paying for the wall.. Unless Trump literally at one point said that the President of Mexico would write him a check, which he NEVER said, or unless Trump specified how Mexico would pay for the wall, which he NEVER did.. all he did was say they would pay for it - they would pay for it some how - maybe through trade deals, or maybe directly, who knows... It's pretty $#@!ing simple.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-11-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Saying Mexico will pay for the wall some how, and saying Mexico will pay for the wall, are not in fact contradictory statements. Do you even ah-speaky the english bro?
    Better than you, apparently.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall, he didn't say how they would pay. He's already made Mexico pay for the wall, by leveraging tariffs against China which increases the balance of trade towards the US which causes Mexico to have a weaker bargaining position in both government & corporate deals.

So Mexico already paid for it, and they'll keep paying for it, for as long as Trump is President.
    +rep

You sound infinitely more logical than Trump's actual supporters.

I told my ex-wife she would one day pay for sleeping with my cousin.

I didn't tell her how she was gonna pay for it.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

+rep

You sound infinitely more logical than Trump's actual supporters.
    Ya think?
    There is no spoon.

I like how you left the quotation marks off that last part. Because as far as you actually know, Trump never did say, "through trade deals or something," did he?

And even if he did, we both know that he's not capable of showing in any real and specific way how the trade deal that he's now claiming does include Mexico paying for the wall actually does.

If he's going to say that this trade deal constitutes Mexico paying for the wall "somehow," he might as well pick any random unrelated thing he wants, like nominating Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, and say that that counts as Mexico paying for the wall somehow.

Obviously his supporters will accept that explanation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast