Thread: Trump to fund food stamps despite government shutdown

Trump to fund food stamps despite government shutdown

The Trump administration has vowed to continue Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) – formerly known as food stamps – benefits to low-income Americans, even as the government shutdown drags into its third week.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the decision late Tuesday, which will keep the program funded through February.

“At President Trump’s direction, we have been working with the Administration on this solution. It works and is legally sound. And we want to assure states, and SNAP recipients, that the benefits for February will be provided,” U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement.
    The solution draws from a provision in the recently-expired continuing resolution – allowing programs like SNAP to incur the costs of operations within 30 days of the stopgap measure’s expiration. That will require states to make SNAP funding requests earlier than usual – by Jan. 20.
    The cumulative cost of the program for February is expected to total $5.1 billion. Around 38 million beneficiaries receive SNAP assistance.
    Other nutrition assistance programs – including those for children and women – will also remain funded.

More at: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...nment-shutdown

The riots will be delayed for a month.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Truly a great humanitarian.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Mama June’s vote is secured. MAGA

Big Burrito and Big Fried Chicken lobbyists got to him.

The Day Trump Prevented The 2019 Great Grape Fanta Riots

So what's the point?
    "The Patriarch"

The entire dept of ag needs shutdown . Do it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So what's the point?
    /thread_win

I'm still waiting for the government to shut down. If trump can do that for even a few months, I'll vote for him in the next election.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    /thread_win

I'm still waiting for the government to shut down. If trump can do that for even a few months, I'll vote for him in the next election.
    You may not get it, but all these government jobs are funding local businesses. When the government is shut down, nobody is buying from local businesses and everybody is suffering as a result. Quoting Lloyd Lord Blankfein, the Government is doing God's work!

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You may not get it, but all these government jobs are funding local businesses. When the government is shut down, nobody is buying from local businesses and everybody is suffering as a result. Quoting Lloyd Lord Blankfein, the Government is doing God's work!
    Yes - many will feel pain. When the hangover subsides, we can all get on with healing. Those ex-government workers can get productive jobs in the private sector, and the "local walmarts" can start making money again. Maybe some of those ex-government workers can start small/local businesses?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Yes - many will feel pain. When the hangover subsides, we can all get on with healing. Those ex-government workers can get productive jobs in the private sector, and the "local walmarts" can start making money again. Maybe some of those ex-government workers can start small/local businesses?
    You have to be a nut to open a local business these days. Have you seen the regulations?

And if not at least they could learn to contribute by working.
    "The Patriarch"

And if not at least they could learn to contribute by working.
    Working? What's that? I have been milking the government tit for the last 20 years and you expect me find work? How can you be so cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Working? What's that? I have been milking the government tit for the last 20 years and you expect me find work? How can you be so cruel?
    In the private sector that the government milked the irony is real.

/thread_win

They sure had no problem cashing my quarterly tax check on time and without delay, some shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    In the private sector that the government milked the irony is real.
    But the government is necessary. Society would collapse and what not if it wasn't for us. You can't leave us!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Dept. of "If a Tree Falls in a Forest ..."

With government "shutdowns" like this, who needs a running government?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Truly a great humanitarian.
    The best.

How can we pass the next Patriot Act with our gobt shutdown.....

/thread_win

You'll vote for him no matter what he does.

You can't have a theatre that doesn't serve popcorns.

swordsmyth, you support or oppose this move? You did not support the Wall if recall your stance correctly. Curious do you identify as a moderate, liberal, conservative ?

So what's the point?
    Could be part of latest MAGA pragmatic phase.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6733646

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    You can't have a theatre that doesn't serve popcorns.

swordsmyth, you support or oppose this move? You did not support the Wall if recall your stance correctly. Curious do you identify as a moderate, liberal, conservative?
    I oppose it but I also understand it, he wants to be able to say that he did everything he could to keep from cutting poor people off from food but the Demoncrats were completely unreasonable.

I'm a Conservertarian.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

2500 stores across the country are no longer able to take EBT payments because their licenses lapsed during the shutdown and cannot be renewed until the government resumes.

A number of states are issuing food stamp benefits early due to the government shutdown. They’re doing this over concern that if the shutdown continues, they won’t be able to issue the payments in February.

But the early payment comes with a sobering warning. A press relief from the state of Michigan said:
    For food assistance clients, Michigan will begin issuing February benefits on Saturday, Jan. 19. Clients who don’t receive their benefits on that date should receive the funds the following week. That means the 1.2 million Michigan residents who receive food assistance will have benefits to feed their families in February even if the partial federal government shutdown continues.
    The early food assistance benefits are not additional benefits and there will be no food assistance payments in February. MDHHS strongly encourages families to budget the funds they receive in January so they can meet their food needs through the entire month of February. (source)
    Another warning, more bluntly worded, came from an official in Pennsylvania.
    Carmen Rodriguez, a Camden County Freeholder and Liaison to the Department of Health and Human Services, has a warning for anyone who uses the government’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. She says don’t blow through the money.
    “It is very important for people to understand that this is an early payment. You are not going to get more money later,” Rodriguez said.
    “This is you getting your February allotment for Food Stamps today.” (source)
    So, to be perfectly clear, many people who receive food assistance are getting an early payment that must see them through until March, at which time officials hope the shutdown will have ended and things will go back to normal. That’s a 6-week time period that people will need to cover with a payment that really isn’t that big. (If you’re curious how much money people are getting on food benefits, I found this calculator. )

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...blem-few-weeks

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So many Trump supporters and especially their kids are on food stamps or school lunch program . The media does't want to highlight this because they want us all to keep fighting over race.

Yet more proof that all Washington does domestically is take our money, skim 60% off the top, and dole the remaining pittance back to those state and local governments which jump through all their hoops.

And we need those middlemen because...?
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by gaazn View Post
    So many Trump supporters and especially their kids are on food stamps or school lunch program . The media does't want to highlight this because they want us all to keep fighting over race.
    Prove that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...amp-work-rules

[IMG]https://static01.********/newsgraphics/2016/12/08/year-in-graphics/assets/election-results.jpg[/IMG]

There are Demoncrat voters everywhere zip, that doesn't prove anything.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment