Thread: AT&T, Dish, Comcast All Raising Cable TV Rates To Counter Cord-Cutting

AT&T, Dish, Comcast All Raising Cable TV Rates To Counter Cord-Cutting

https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/0...r-cord-cutting

AT&T's DirecTV, Dish, and Comcast are all planning to raise their rates again in the new year, "a move that could boost revenue but risks alienating subscribers who have been ditching their traditional TV subscriptions in record numbers," reports Dallas News. From the report:

Cable and satellite providers are hoping to squeeze more money from consumers who remain loyal to their packages with hundreds of channels, Philip Cusick, a JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst, said in a note this week, even though "this strategy could accelerate video sub declines." The latest price increases come as cord-cutting accelerates. In the third quarter, the TV industry saw its largest ever rate of decline, with subscribers shrinking by 3.7 percent, according to MoffettNathanson LLC. Consumers are dropping traditional TV for lower-cost online options like Netflix Inc. and slimmer TV options from Hulu and YouTube.

DirecTV is raising rates on all English-language video packages by $3 to $8 a month while hiking fees for regional sports networks by $1 to $1.90 in most markets. Dish said it's increasing prices for English-language video packages by $3 to $5 a month. Altice USA, the fourth-largest cable operator, recently raised rates by 3 percent on Optimum subscribers. Comcast, the largest U.S. cable company, is raising its fee for regional sports networks by $1.50 on average and its fee for broadcast channels by $2 a month, according to Cusick. Charter Communications Inc., the second-largest U.S. cable provider, recently boosted its monthly fee for a set-top box by about 50 cents and its broadcast channel fee by about $1. Charter operates as Spectrum in Dallas-Fort Worth.
    No. don't. leave. We need you to give us more money instead of going online where we can make MORE money on you. No please don't do that. We don't need more money. Said no company EVER.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a thread recently describing how I had to literally disconnect my service and restart it in my wife's name. I am heading to Xfinity now to return the equipment. Our total bill has gone from $137 to $67. In the past threatening to leave put me in touch with customer retention where they offered a good deal to stay. Now you have to cancel. Only new customers get the best deal.

Our government regulation will save us...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I had a thread recently describing how I had to literally disconnect my service and restart it in my wife's name. I am heading to Xfinity now to return the equipment. Our total bill has gone from $137 to $67. In the past threatening to leave put me in touch with customer retention where they offered a good deal to stay. Now you have to cancel. Only new customers get the best deal.
    I have to severe internet service for a month, and come back to get the deal they promised
    from the beginning ; 19.99 , I'm paying 47.00 was 'down' this last year about 20 days all tolled.

The last gasp of a dying business model. This happens all the time. But... it's a good thing in that it hastens the advent of new business models. Which, of course, will have their time until a new method comes about.

Human wants are ever changing. The prize goes to whoever can best meet those wants at any given time. It's a beautiful constant evolution.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of the same mistake that newspapers made. About 10 years ago the papers were losing revenue because advertisers were moving some of their budgets to online marketing. Less people were reading papers and more were reading news online. So of course the newspapers decided to raise their rates, even though less people were reading their rags than ever before. The predicable result was that advertisers moved even more of their budgets online even faster.

Here is a clue... if less people are using your medium, it is worth less to advertisers. As the value declines, so should the price.

If less people are using cable, the correct answer is to improve the product and/or lower the price. Raising the price will only drive people away faster. Classic mistake of the business thinking about their needs while ignoring their customers needs and wants.

Highly educated executives ignoring basic market principles.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Our government regulation will save us...
    Yup.

... or perhaps a truly Free Market? We all know these guys get together and decide to make decisions as if operating as one company, despite running around trumpeting different names. The names are the distraction, they operate as one company. A Free Market that offered true alternatives are Prohibited By Law, thus, government regulation is designed to support the Monopoly, not prevent it.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Yup.

... or perhaps a truly Free Market? We all know these guys get together and decide to make decisions as if operating as one company, despite running around trumpeting different names. The names are the distraction, they operate as one company. A Free Market that offered true alternatives are Prohibited By Law, thus, government regulation is designed to support the Monopoly, not prevent it.
    Let's start a Co-op for cellular and internet. Get a massive amount of people together raise whatever it takes and launch our own satellite. Member only not for profit. Satellite internet and phone. Do a go fund me with stipulation that money will be returned if goal not met.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Let's start a Co-op for cellular and internet. Get a massive amount of people together raise whatever it takes and launch our own satellite. Member only not for profit. Satellite internet and phone. Do a go fund me with stipulation that money will be returned if goal not met.
    In a Free Market, that would be a proper solution. Trouble is, to do this, first, we need a License. Next, the funding required would need to come from Banks, thus Loans, thus, we are either controllable or we are denied the loan based on the Business Plan. If we did this by Public Investment such as Go Fund Me, we would have no way to refund the money because that money needs to be spent on R&D as well as marketing, employees, distribution, product and materials, and last but not least, Taxes.

The only thing I can think of that would topple these monopolies / monopoly (one since thats pretty much how they operate) would be to turn our backs on them entirely, en masse. That also does not work as far too many will continue to pay the prices of the cords we cut. And, people are far too addicted to the drivel they utter, stuck in behavioral loops of validating stupidity, much like convincing a heroin addict of the nutritional benefits of the same destructive drug.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Yup.

Yes - the illusion of choice. Tom D had an awesome lecture about how the so called trust busters were always looking out for their special interest. Many of the so called barons reduced costs so low that their subsidized competition could not compete. Of course, those barons had to be stopped - we had to be saved from those evil fat-cats... People are very foolish - guess we best get onto building that wall. Moar maga for everyone!

Tangent - It would be so awesome if the government really did shutdown. I mean, like Detroit shutdown... not this "lets pretend" sh!t. A 2 year hiatus - a complete vacation from tyranny. Ah, how sweet it would be.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"