Thread: New York City bans foam containers, coffee cups and more in landmark legislation

New York City bans foam containers, coffee cups and more in landmark legislation

New York City bans foam containers, coffee cups and more in landmark legislation

New York City is taking a stand against foam.

The nation’s largest city has officially banned foam containers, coffee cups and packing peanuts, among other items made from expanded polystyrene, New York Magazine reported.

The legislation, which was first approved by lawmakers in 2013, went into effect on Tuesday. The delay was largely a result of the city's restaurant industry, which filed a lawsuit in an attempt to prevent the so-called “foam ban" because it is made of a low-cost material. Those against the ban also argued expanded polystyrene could possibly be recycled, according to the publication. However, the ban was approved by a judge in June.

The city’s department of sanitation says online that businesses across New York City have until June 30 to dispose of their plastic foam items or they could face fines up to $1,000.

“For our planet’s future, New York City is kicking off 2019 as a styrofoam-free town!” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Twitter.

That said, some business are exempt from the foam ban. Butchers who use the containers to store raw meat or fish will not be affected by the measure and non-profit and small business owners may also be exempt in some cases, according to New York Magazine.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...rk-legislation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's nice.
    Bless it's lil pea pickin' ole heart.

Horrifying that nyc still had foam coffee cups in the first place .Who is running things there ? $#@!ing anarchy .
    Do something Danke

Packing peanuts? Mailed items are gonna break....

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Packing peanuts? Mailed items are gonna break....
    Just don't let the package get wet. Starch based.

USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

I don't understand how anybody conservative can live in a state like New York or California. You're constantly being surrounded by a bunch of people who don't even like you, agree with your political views and probably want you dead. Better leave those states while you can before $#@! hits the fan more than it already is.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I don't understand how anybody conservative can live in a state like New York or California. You're constantly being surrounded by a bunch of people who don't even like you, agree with your political views and probably want you dead. Better leave those states while you can before $#@! hits the fan more than it already is.
    I agree.

Any liberty folks in "the usual suspect" states should be getting out.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Just don't let the package get wet. Starch based.

I've used those before. They're ok new, but if you store them in a non-climate controlled environment they begin to deteriorate. In short, they suck.

^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Coming to s state near you: left-liberal expats unable to stomach their own dog food, but hungering for more of it anyway ...

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-05-2019 at 07:51 PM.