Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "It's a lot of F--king work to be homeless"

Being on time is too much work.

I'm sure timeliness is pretty pointless in whatever world this weirdo inhabits.

In the real world, lives can be lost by not being on time.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-04-2019 at 09:28 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am not watching any gay videos but I will tell you for a fact there are $#@!loads of lazy people in america. Like most other things it is done better here than anywhere .
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance. There are lazy people who rely on others' hard work and/or generosity, and there are also legitimate reasons why some people struggle that aren't their fault. But it is also important that they work toward overcoming those things, even if they may need to rely on others to some extent for some period of time.

Here's my comment on the article:
    Boom! You just dropped a lot of truth in that post I dont know how all of those Medium readers are going to handle it!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Laziness does exist, I have known people who had no "barriers" and were still lazy, the author sounds like the kind of liberal that goes around telling everyone that none of their problems are their fault and that they are all victims.
    Bingo, I was hard pressed to find any reference to taking responsibility or self reliance in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Your position seems to be that, in the face of bureaucracies you admit are harmful to both functional and nonfunctional people alike, the nonfunctional people should just STFU and deal with it.
    I contend that a better response is gee whiz, if we GOT RID OF THE BUREAUCRACY, then not only would nonfunctional people have a better chance at becoming functional, but the already functional people would be even more so.
    I don't understand how this isn't the universally perceived correct reaction.
    There are dozens of replies to the Medium post complaining about the K-12 government school system, but they dont dare question or even propose dismantling government schools and seeking out alternatives in education.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

When I worked as a Forward Observer for the 11th Field Artillery the Regimental Motto was " On Time " . They fired the final shot of WW 1 at 11:59:59 on 11 November . 1.2 million men were involved in the Argonne Offensive with Artillery men having the highest casualty rate . My old Battalion is no longer active but one Battalion is still active since the 1916 inception. In the old days being on time was important .
    Do something Danke

There are so called homeless people that don't depend on homeless shelters or any bureaucracy they are so under the radar that most folks have no awareness of them at all.

Most homeless people are in victim mode and from what I have seen the ones willing to take responsibility are the ones who pull up the fastest. We all make mistakes taking responsibility is the easiest and fastest way out.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    When I worked as a Forward Observer for the 11th Field Artillery the Regimental Motto was " On Time " . They fired the final shot of WW 1 at 11:59:59 on 11 November . 1.2 million men were involved in the Argonne Offensive with Artillery men having the highest casualty rate . My old Battalion is no longer active but one Battalion is still active since the 1916 inception. In the old days being on time was important .
    Time is of utmost importance today. At least in my world (IT). There are hundreds of thousands of businesses relying on automated jobs to start at a particular time. The margin of error on starting these jobs is sometimes very slim. If they don't run, or if there's a problem, you're most of the time talking hundreds or potentially thousands of man-hours of lost productivity.
    A job not running on time can easily cost a big business tens of thousands of dollars an hour while the problem persists.

But as I suggested earlier, nothing in the article suggests that making deadlines and timing are not important. Even in the pic you posted, he/she/it does NOT say "being on time"... the verbiage used is "arriving at a certain time".

In today's world, if you have a meeting scheduled at 9am, then those invited are expected to show up at 9am, and if they aren't there on time, there are often ramifications.

But nobody gives a flying $#@! through a rolling donut if you're at work at 9am otherwise. Of course there are positions where you have to have people in on time, but those are in the minority.

If it's my job to write code for 8 hours a day, then outside of the aforementioned meetings, there is no reason to doubt the professionalism of someone who chooses to do it from 3pm-11pm.

And as for grooming... this is completely laisseiz-faire in a lot of situations. The most brilliant programmer I ever knew had to be moved around a couple times because he stank. But the powers that be were happy making considerations for him because they knew they couldn't just go to Wal Mart and pick up a new one. He was literally one in a million, and they were content with letting him use all his brain power on programming problems, even the part that normal people use deciding when to shower.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Time is of utmost importance today. At least in my world (IT). There are hundreds of thousands of businesses relying on automated jobs to start at a particular time. The margin of error on starting these jobs is sometimes very slim. If they don't run, or if there's a problem, you're most of the time talking hundreds or potentially thousands of man-hours of lost productivity.
    A job not running on time can easily cost a big business tens of thousands of dollars an hour while the problem persists.

But as I suggested earlier, nothing in the article suggests that making deadlines and timing are not important. Even in the pic you posted, he/she/it does NOT say "being on time"... the verbiage used is "arriving at a certain time".

In today's world, if you have a meeting scheduled at 9am, then those invited are expected to show up at 9am, and if they aren't there on time, there are often ramifications.

But nobody gives a flying $#@! through a rolling donut if you're at work at 9am otherwise. Of course there are positions where you have to have people in on time, but those are in the minority.

If it's my job to write code for 8 hours a day, then outside of the aforementioned meetings, there is no reason to doubt the professionalism of someone who chooses to do it from 3pm-11pm.

And as for grooming... this is completely laisseiz-faire in a lot of situations. The most brilliant programmer I ever knew had to be moved around a couple times because he stank. But the powers that be were happy making considerations for him because they knew they couldn't just go to Wal Mart and pick up a new one. He was literally one in a million, and they were content with letting him use all his brain power on programming problems, even the part that normal people use deciding when to shower.
    Somehow , I bet there are lots of stinky , ace programmers in America .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He's talking about college kids, not toddlers ffs. The time for this kind of intervention is long past, nothing will work now short of a massive dose of reality and it may be too late for that even.
    When most of them actually hit the streets,, the reality sends them back..

Homeless living (as a rule) ain't easy.. It ain't safe. and it is only rarely comfortable.

Safety nets cushion the harsher realities.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    There are so called homeless people that don't depend on homeless shelters or any bureaucracy they are so under the radar that most folks have no awareness of them at all.

Most homeless people are in victim mode and from what I have seen the ones willing to take responsibility are the ones who pull up the fastest. We all make mistakes taking responsibility is the easiest and fastest way out.
    Exactly..

Some live off grid and under radar by choice.. Some choose not to be a slave for a wage.

Some are unfortunate circumstances,, and others poor choices.

I am Homeless again.. but I've done it before.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Your position seems to be that, in the face of bureaucracies you admit are harmful to both functional and nonfunctional people alike, the nonfunctional people should just STFU and deal with it.
    I contend that a better response is gee whiz, if we GOT RID OF THE BUREAUCRACY, then not only would nonfunctional people have a better chance at becoming functional, but the already functional people would be even more so.
    I don't understand how this isn't the universally perceived correct reaction.
    interfacing with social workers, case workers, police officers, shelter staff, Medicaid staff, and a slew of charities both well-meaning and condescending.
    It is certainly not a universal sentiment. I mean, it is for us, but the creature who wrote the article would undoubtedly disagree because doing away with the bureaucracy would entail the doing away with the benefits that go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I am not going to read any farther than that, but thanks.
    Being homeless isn't professional.
    FIFY
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

But as I suggested earlier, nothing in the article suggests that making deadlines and timing are not important.
    His article was about the whole fact that making deadlines and timing were not as important as understanding why those deadlines were not met. He thinks those things aren't important, as indicated by his relaxed attitude toward deadlines for his students. (I think it's safe to say he is preparing those students for failure in the real world.)

I also think he's confusing wants with needs.

Let's see how he feels when his paycheck doesn't arrive because some anonymous person in payroll decided to spend the day having her needs met.
    Last edited by angelatc; 01-05-2019 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Not just lives. Money, too. I get it - Fish lives in the IT world where deadlines are long term, but there's a lot of flexibility in those parameters. But how would things work if your captain didn't sail until everybody was actually 100% ready to go? I'd wager you'd never make it out.

Not just lives. Money, too. I get it - Fish lives in the IT world where deadlines are long term, but there's a lot of flexibility in those parameters. But how would things work if your captain didn't sail until everybody was actually 100% ready to go? I'd wager you'd never make it out.
    Rather vague. 100% ready to go? What does that mean?

If someone feels they can't go for whatever reason. A Captain certainly can delay if he feels it is something important. or have that person replaced, etc.

In the military, it usually meant being left behind.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Rather vague. 100% ready to go? What does that mean?

If someone feels they can't go for whatever reason. A Captain certainly can delay if he feels it is something important. or have that person replaced, etc.

In the military, it usually meant being left behind.
    In context, it makes sense for a psychology to be more interested in the reasons for missing deadlines than the actual deadlines themselves. I saw people make up all kinds of excuses for turning in late papers. Some seemed legit ("I went into premature labor and was in the hospital with my premature newborn for the past two weeks") while others seemed lame. (My printer died and I didn't know we could print at the library.)

Yes, the Captain gets to decide which excuses to accept. But that's his prerogative. And deciding that some excuses are the result of being simply unwilling to work or use energy.

My take on the article was if you see a person that is underperforming there is an underlying reason. If you operate by a strict set of rules the person will always fail. Find out what the problem is and then they can function at a much better capacity. If a boss has 100 jobs at the facility and you do not do one very fast or to his liking the question is why. If you cannot run the machine on first shift with the owner continually giving tours maybe you would do better on second or on the machine in the back corner and the owner would be wise to not interrupt you. Maybe you could be a great machine operator if you kept making the same part instead of the most difficult custom part in the shop. Maybe you could work hours on end and produce mega quantity of product if you were working on a machine that was already set up and producing. The world need ditch diggers too. Every person on a ship is not the captain. Anxiety is real and comes from ones brain. I know first hand a person with major anxiety and OCD. Even though this person has all their needs met they still experience anxiety. A long road trip is a long road trip for everyone in the car not just the driver.

Making all functioning people change or adapt for people with issues is not the answer. Helping someone overcome their issue is righteous. Expecting someone to overcome their issues is foolish.

Most people think being 15 minutes late every day for work is simple just change your clock or leave early every day so you can be on time. If you can be 15 minutes late every day you can be on time everyday. Maybe it is like a gun that is not sighted in properly. Unless you change the sights you can never hit the bullseye.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An employee that is perpetually late for work would be a terrible choice as key employee that opens the facility each and every morning. They might be a great employee for locking up and closing the place down.

I don't think you do get it. My deadlines are deadlines and I have to meet them, they can be hourly or yearly. What I had hoped to show is that I often get engaged well after a deadline was missed and have to drop everything, clean it all up, and then still keep my other deadlines.
    I'm not gonna lie, I got ahead in my job by being the guy that my bosses can call at 9pm on a Saturday to do this, and there are plenty of other people, a lot of them better educated than I am, who don't do this.

But every job needs drones. Drones don't keep deadlines faithfully and might need some time to sort through their issues. But you can't just get rid of them, without sinking the business.

There is also the matter of how, after my old $#@!ty company got bought out by a better company, I have watched the new corporate remediation program actually work, and turn drones who were about to get fired into star employees.

Some people just grow up being responsible employees. Most people don't. You can either be a complete $#@! and chew them up, spit them out, ruin their resume and consign them to a life of cleaning pools, or you can work with them, the exact way this professor did... By assuming that there is something preventing them from doing a good job and having the nobility to try to help them as Shifference already mentioned.

It further occurs to me that just about every job listing I have ever read calls for a "team player". What is a team player? Is it someone who tries to lift up his team mates, or someone who says "looks like Johnson isn't cutting the mustard, oh well, $#@! him"?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I don't think you do get it. My deadlines are deadlines and I have to meet them, they can be hourly or yearly. What I had hoped to show is that I often get engaged well after a deadline was missed and have to drop everything, clean it all up, and then still keep my other deadlines.
    I'm not gonna lie, I got ahead in my job by being the guy that my bosses can call at 9pm on a Saturday to do this, and there are plenty of other people, a lot of them better educated than I am, who don't do this.

But every job needs drones. Drones don't keep deadlines faithfully and might need some time to sort through their issues. But you can't just get rid of them, without sinking the business.

There is also the matter of how, after my old $#@!ty company got bought out by a better company, I have watched the new corporate remediation program actually work, and turn drones who were about to get fired into star employees.

Some people just grow up being responsible employees. Most people don't. You can either be a complete $#@! and chew them up, spit them out, ruin their resume and consign them to a life of cleaning pools, or you can work with them, the exact way this professor did... By assuming that there is something preventing them from doing a good job and having the nobility to try to help them as Shifference already mentioned.

It further occurs to me that just about every job listing I have ever read calls for a "team player". What is a team player? Is it someone who tries to lift up his team mates, or someone who says "looks like Johnson isn't cutting the mustard, oh well, $#@! him"?
    Lazy is defined in the dictionary as unwilling to work or use energy. The shrink asserted that there's no such thing as lazy.

He's wrong.

Lazy is defined in the dictionary as unwilling to work or use energy. The shrink asserted that there's no such thing as lazy.

He's wrong.
    and you are correct..

It sounds like kids just out of schools that did NOTHING to prepare them for real world life.

Lazy exists..
    Lazy is the mother of all Tools.. Labor saving devices.

Sloth is a Spirit,, and some follow it.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Exactly..

Some live off grid and under radar by choice.. Some choose not to be a slave for a wage.

Some are unfortunate circumstances,, and others poor choices.

I am Homeless again.. but I've done it before.
    I have been homeless before too.

The article was not about homelessness or laziness. It was about how people are perceived and not understood.
    It is not possible to fix a problem unless you understand the cause. I had a large cast iron piece that mounted on a shaft with cam followers on the end. One day a loud bang and it broke. I ordered a new one for overnight delivery and next day put the new one on. After one revolution of the machine the new one broke. The piece that broke was not the problem. The shaft had gotten gummed up and frozen. This happens everyday in our lives. I remember years ago I needed a lawn mower. I found one locally online that someone was giving away because they could not get it to start and so they purchased a new one. The one they were giving away was serviced annually by a lawnmower shop. I arrived and took one look at the machine and saw the spark plug wire was not on the spark plug. I put it on gave the mower one pull and it started right up.
    Parents and society are probably to blame not the sick individual. People have been told when their children were young that they had ADD or ADHD or xyz and parents listened to the schools, doctors, psychologists..... How much better would people be today had they dealt with real issues holistically when they were young.
    My brilliant son. We were told when he was in kindergarten that he had learning difficulty and could not read. I wrote a book for him and he is a great reader. First grade teacher said he could not write very well. His penmanship is beautiful. Took 10 minutes on a Saturday morning. Fourth Grade Christian School said he should be held back. Teacher held our hands, then prayed. She said she loved our son. I pulled him out of that school and he has been top of the class ever since. He had an underbite that made it hard to understand him when he was young. He was so smart and full of insight he always wanted to talk. His poor speech and excessive talking made people think he was dumb. I would have no part of that. My son was very smart. Had my son not had me to advocate for him, he would not be the person he is today.

People are not born lazy adults. Most are born healthy, thriving, enthusiastic children. When they are lazy and irresponsible later in life, why do we blame the individual? There is always hope.

Blame doesn't matter. What matters is we have dis-functioning people that will only get worse unless they can understand why they are the way they are and change the music so they can face it and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    People are not born lazy adults. Most are born healthy, thriving, enthusiastic children.
    Seen this,, with an adopted Granddaughter (she adopted me),,

One I should have kidnapped but did not.

a bright little girl was taught disability ,and convinced of what she couldn't be.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

“Everyday I come in 15 minutes late. ... It’s not that I’m lazy, it’s that I just don’t care.”

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The article was not about homelessness or laziness. It was about how people are perceived and not understood.
    It is not possible to fix a problem unless you understand the cause. I had a large cast iron piece that mounted on a shaft with cam followers on the end. One day a loud bang and it broke. I ordered a new one for overnight delivery and next day put the new one on. After one revolution of the machine the new one broke. The piece that broke was not the problem. The shaft had gotten gummed up and frozen. This happens everyday in our lives. I remember years ago I needed a lawn mower. I found one locally online that someone was giving away because they could not get it to start and so they purchased a new one. The one they were giving away was serviced annually by a lawnmower shop. I arrived and took one look at the machine and saw the spark plug wire was not on the spark plug. I put it on gave the mower one pull and it started right up.
    Parents and society are probably to blame not the sick individual. People have been told when their children were young that they had ADD or ADHD or xyz and parents listened to the schools, doctors, psychologists..... How much better would people be today had they dealt with real issues holistically when they were young.
    My brilliant son. We were told when he was in kindergarten that he had learning difficulty and could not read. I wrote a book for him and he is a great reader. First grade teacher said he could not write very well. His penmanship is beautiful. Took 10 minutes on a Saturday morning. Fourth Grade Christian School said he should be held back. Teacher held our hands, then prayed. She said she loved our son. I pulled him out of that school and he has been top of the class ever since. He had an underbite that made it hard to understand him when he was young. He was so smart and full of insight he always wanted to talk. His poor speech and excessive talking made people think he was dumb. I would have no part of that. My son was very smart. Had my son not had me to advocate for him, he would not be the person he is today.

People are not born lazy adults. Most are born healthy, thriving, enthusiastic children. When they are lazy and irresponsible later in life, why do we blame the individual? There is always hope.

Blame doesn't matter. What matters is we have dis-functioning people that will only get worse unless they can understand why they are the way they are and change the music so they can face it and dance.
    There is a lot of truth to what you say but some people do choose to be lazy and some do so early in life, my cousin was the laziest baby I have ever seen and she grew up to be the laziest girl I have ever seen and it wasn't because she had "barriers".

It is just as wrong to say that laziness doesn't exist as it is to blame all under-performers for being lazy.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I didn't read the article.

I'm guessing 90 percent of homeless just drop out and made that choice, I would
    guess the other 10 percent are probably better at conversing with telephone poles than
    humans and aren't even capable of making any kinds of rational decisions, that doesn't
    make it right for the government to steal from us and pass it out to them though.
    There was a time when charitable organizations took care of a lot of the down trodden,
    govt did their best to squeeze them out, with secular, socialist policies.
    I did read the title , and in a broad sense, Right , very hard work, as in;
    '' its more work being a thief than doing an honest days work'' ,
    yea, being homeless has to be the hardest thing in the world,
    I couldn't imagine how tough it would be to figure out where to get my
    next meal or how to keep from freezing to death, especially tough I guess, for the newly homeless
    that probably have no idea where to turn for handouts, what a horrible existence, but the best
    I can guess for the most part is that they bring it on themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12