Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It's a lot of F--king work to be homeless"

"It's a lot of F--king work to be homeless"

From a medium article entitled "Laziness does not exist".

https://medium.com/@dr_eprice/lazine...t-3af27e312d01

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I read the article. It seemed very sensible, well written, and easy to understand.

I think awareness is the key. People need to be aware of their issues and then confront them and deal with them in a manner that satisfies them.

"Laziness does not exist".
    I am not going to read any farther than that, but thanks.

Sounds like they need to work smarter instead of harder.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Oh c,mon, how can you dismiss anything from such a enlightened (woke) er...person???

Devon Price
    Follow

Nonbinary Social Psychologist & Writer in Chicago. They/Them pronouns.
    "The Patriarch"

It's actually not a bad piece-it just has a poor title. Probably trying to be provocative and clever. I'd SWAG an editor came up with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I can agree with them on most of what they wrote, if they can agree that taxation is theft.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    It's actually not a bad piece-it just has a poor title. Probably trying to be provocative and clever. I'd SWAG an editor came up with it.
    Pretty close to the top of the article, the author says, "In fact, I don’t believe that laziness exists."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Pretty close to the top of the article, the author says, "In fact, I don’t believe that laziness exists."
    He also goes on to say
    So when I see a student failing to complete assignments, missing deadlines, or not delivering results in other aspects of their life, I’m moved to ask: what are the situational factors holding this student back? What needs are currently not being met?And, when it comes to behavioral “laziness”, I’m especially moved to ask: what are the barriers to action that I can’t see?
    There are always barriers. Recognizing those barriers— and viewing them as legitimate — is often the first step to breaking “lazy” behavior patterns.
    If you actually read the piece, the author goes to great lengths to explain exactly why he said that opening line. Kinda psycho-babbly and meanders more than an APA journal article, but also interesting IMHO.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 01-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

He also goes on to say

If you actually read the piece, the author goes to great lengths to explain exactly why he said that opening line. Kinda psycho-babbly and meanders more than an APA journal article, but also interesting IMHO.
    Laziness does exist, I have known people who had no "barriers" and were still lazy, the author sounds like the kind of liberal that goes around telling everyone that none of their problems are their fault and that they are all victims.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He also goes on to say

He's talking about college kids, not toddlers ffs. The time for this kind of intervention is long past, nothing will work now short of a massive dose of reality and it may be too late for that even.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Laziness does exist, I have known people who had no "barriers" and were still lazy, the author sounds like the kind of liberal that goes around telling everyone that none of their problems are their fault and that they are all victims.
    It's a balance. There are lazy people who rely on others' hard work and/or generosity, and there are also legitimate reasons why some people struggle that aren't their fault. But it is also important that they work toward overcoming those things, even if they may need to rely on others to some extent for some period of time.

Here's my comment on the article:

There are quite a few well made points in this article. People tend to be overly judgmental of others without considering the underlying reasons for their behavior. It could be their actions are related to stress or trauma experienced as young as infancy or even into adulthood. It is important to be compassionate and understanding.

That said, there are also a lot of people willing to take advantage of others out there. My fear is that articles like this will be used to weaponize theft by the state, i.e. taxation. Taxation is theft. It’s not compassionate to steal from your neighbor to give to the homeless. True compassion is giving what you yourself have worked for and earned.

When you incentive victimhood through coercive state wealth distribution programs, you will get more victimhood. I would personally like to see less victimhood. There are a lot of ways to help victims, but state wealth redistribution programs only create more victims. They lure people who would otherwise be able to rely on themselves and cause them to be reliant on others. This hinders their ability to rely on themselves in the future. This creates a cycle of perpetual victimhood.

There are in fact a lot of people out there who are lazy and who rely on the hard work of others. A couple hundred years ago in this country, this was called legalized slavery. Today we have another form of legalized slavery. It is a little bit different, but one way to think about how this form of slavery works is to consider how workers essentially work from January to around April or May without receiving any pay, as it all goes to taxes. Then the rest of the year, they work tax free. That’s 4 or 5 months of tax slavery.

Communities should be learning and understanding and helping people who have problems through voluntarily funded organizations. This is much more helpful for those who need it, and allows more resources that people are willing to put toward helping others toward people who really need help.

One might ask where all these resources would come from. This is a really silly question. I just explained that people work from January to some time in May just to pay their taxes. If we didn’t have forced wealth redistribution systems, then every worker would have an extra 4–5 months of salary a year that they could dedicate in part to use to help people in their community.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.

I’m not lazy, I just enjoy doing nothing most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He's talking about college kids, not toddlers ffs. The time for this kind of intervention is long past, nothing will work now short of a massive dose of reality and it may be too late for that even.
    It is your job to meet the endless needs of the perpetual toddlers, komrade. They aren't lazy, they just need.

It is your job to meet the endless needs of the perpetual toddlers, komrade. They aren't lazy, they just need.
    I quit.
    "The Patriarch"

You can learn anything from anywhere, if you, you know, want to.

A lot of homeless people have to navigate bureaucracies constantly, interfacing with social workers, case workers, police officers, shelter staff, Medicaid staff, and a slew of charities both well-meaning and condescending. It’s a lot of $#@!ing work to be homeless. And when a homeless or poor person runs out of steam and makes a “bad decision”, there’s a damn good reason for it.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah when I found out he/she/it is hucking nonbinary nonsense, my immediate reaction was, you know, you wrote a whole article about how people have excuses for not maintaining social norms, but the article still maintains that the social norms are norms and should remain as expectations of individuals... but all of that is kind of torpedoed when you come out in favor of destroying social norms in your job title.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The perpetual toddler, I will concede exists. I know because my sister is one. She has a part time job (with no intention of ever going full time) and may *someday* be mature enough to live on her own. Till then she's going to leech on family working part time jobs-not paying rent, of course. SMFH.

I quit.
    I think we need to examine those barriers.

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    You can learn anything from anywhere, if you, you know, want to.
    I read that. But guess what? Functional people also have to navigate bureaucracies constantly. All while actually producing something of value.

Is it wrong to judge a written opinion based on the author? I think it should be judged on content. I may have missed something but my interpretation was more in the line of helping people build their esteem and character by understanding them. Understanding why a person behaves the way they do is winning on many levels. If simply adapting the way you interact enhances a person life that seems good.

I read that. But guess what? Functional people also have to navigate bureaucracies constantly. All while actually producing something of value.
    I have managed to eliminate a large portion of them, but I spent decades dealing with them much of that time raising a family. You know, like most people used to do. I don't mean to make light of out of control bureaucracies because they're a %^$$&ing plague but making up excuses for people just rubs me the wrong way.
    "The Patriarch"

I think he's just lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Your position seems to be that, in the face of bureaucracies you admit are harmful to both functional and nonfunctional people alike, the nonfunctional people should just STFU and deal with it.
    I contend that a better response is gee whiz, if we GOT RID OF THE BUREAUCRACY, then not only would nonfunctional people have a better chance at becoming functional, but the already functional people would be even more so.
    I don't understand how this isn't the universally perceived correct reaction.

Laziness is just another word for the single failing of mankind's nature, that produces 90% of mankind's misery.

Poor Impulse Control.

Oh c,mon, how can you dismiss anything from such a enlightened (woke) er...person???

See what I mean?

Poor Impulse Control.

I have a very simple, and more than likely correct, explanation for this.

It's so utterly politically incorrect I'm not even going to type it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have a very simple, and more than likely correct, explanation for this.

It's so utterly politically incorrect I'm not even going to type it out.
    I like it already.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

"In that chronically uncomfortable, over-stimulating context, needing a drink or some cigarettes makes $#@!ing sense."

I get that from MSM and "
    progressives." This social psychologist sure says "$#@!" a lot in that article.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast