Thread: Ambassadors on hold?

Ambassadors on hold?

Since Republicans changed the rules, it only requires 50 votes to approve a nominee now and Republicans have 51 seats- 53 in the next Senate. Any delays would be from his own party. Half of the openings have not even had anybody nominated by Trump to fill them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bassadors.html

It was not clear where the president derived the number from. His claim does not jive with publicly available information about the number of open positions that require Senate confirmation.

A total of 330 positions are open, and 126 of them are empty, in part, because Trump has not nominated anyone to fill them.

Yet, twice in the last week the president has used numbers that are higher than that — the first time he said that 350 people are being prevented from accepting positions in his 23-month-old government.

A publicly available database run by the Partnership for Public Service shows nine of Trump's nominees have not been formally put forward and 195 that went through the proper channels have not been approved by the Senate for one reason or another.

Of those, 65 of the nominees are within the State Department and 49 are ambassador appointees.

They include John Abizaid, nominated as ambassador to Saudi Arabia, and Matthew Tueller, Trump's appointee to represent the United States in Iraq. They were referred to the Republican-controlled Foreign Relations Committee on Nov. 15 of this year, and the committee has not acted.

Trump's nominee to serve as ambassador to Yemen, Christopher Paul Henzel, has been approved by the committee and awaited action in front of the full Senate as of Dec. 13.

Others such as Kathleen Ann Kavalec, nominee to be ambassador to Albania, have been waiting for confirmation for much longer. Her appointment landed in front of Foreign Relations Committee last July.

The career State Department official communicated with dirty dossier creator Christopher Steele, an ex-British intelligence agent, according to emails that the Justice Department provided to Congress, the Washington Examiner reported in August.

Her contacts with former spy and DOJ official Bruce Ohr, who was also in touch with Steele, could be reasons that she has not been approved.

Career State Department official Francisco Luis Palmieri's appointment to be the next ambassador Honduras has been held up for no apparent reason since Sept. 28, when he was favorably reported out of the Foreign Relations Committee for the job.

Would-be Irish ambassador Jeffrey Ross Gunter has been waiting for a vote in the upper chamber after a favorable recommendation since Nov. 28. His appointment was not even announced until late August, however.

The tracker on Trump's nominees that is updated every Monday and was last updated this morning shows that 126 positions requiring Senate confirmation do not have nominees at all, meaning that the president is responsible for the vacancies, because he has not put anyone forward.

He has not named ambassadors to 14 countries: Belize, Chile, Cuba, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Jordan, Libya, Mexico, Pakistan, Panama, Singapore, Tanzania and Turkey.

A spokesperson for the president did not respond to a request for comment on the tracker and for additional information on where the president is obtaining his vacancy numbers.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-01-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Since Republicans changed the rules, it only requires 50 votes to approve a nominee now and Republicans have 51 seats- 53 in the next Senate. Any delays would be from his own party. Half of the openings have not even had anybody nominated by Trump to fill them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bassadors.html
    Some Demoncrats wear elephant clothing and it is better to leave positions unfilled than to fill them with bad choices.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Which Ambassador jobs and why do we need them ?
    Do something Danke

As a supposed expert business person like Trump claims to be, it's always preferable to have someone within your organization that knows who you're dealing with on the other side. More deals done on the golf course than the board room. It'd only make sense to have ambassadors around the world, the local VP of sales for the American hegemony.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Don't forget the lawyers, not just ambassdors.

“Heads of countries are calling wanting to know why Senator Schumer is not approving their otherwise approved Ambassadors!? Likewise in Government lawyers and others are being delayed at a record pace! 360 great and hardworking people are waiting for approval from....,” he tweeted.

On a related note, history's course might have been radically different had MAGA's personal lawyer Michael Cohen (like his other lawyer Friedman) had also been given some ambassadorship early on. Huge blunder.

Oh so it's only 195 positions being delayed by senate democrats + Flake. Thanks for helping spread Trump tweets to a larger audience with vital additional information highlighting the obstructionist democrats. @Zippyjuan you do so much in support of our president.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Oh so it's only 195 positions being delayed by senate democrats + Flake. Thanks for helping spread Trump tweets to a larger audience with vital additional information highlighting the obstructionist democrats. @Zippyjuan you do so much in support of our president.
    They don't need a single Democratic vote to approve any of them (unless a Republican decides to vote "no"). Republican rule changes allow approval with a simple majority vote and they have 51 seats (53 seats next week).
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

They don't need a single Democratic vote to approve any of them (unless a Republican decides to vote "no"). Republican rule changes allow approval with a simple majority vote and they have 51 seats (53 seats next week).
    Flake is a Swampublican and so are Collins and Murkowski, there are other RINOs as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm what would you call a party that has pledged to provide 0 votes on all the president's nominees no matter who it is or what it is for? that is typically a broad bipartisan process. Its understandable not to get 100% of your own party's votes based on small internal disagreements, but to get 0 votes from the other party is obstruction. Additionally, "by routinely objecting to the majority’s unanimous consent request, Democrats are triggering the Senate’s mandatory 30-hour post-cloture debate rule for each top Trump nominee. This absurd procedure requires the majority to expend 30-hours of Senate floor time for each nominee."

Additionally, Trump has not been allowed a single recess appointment.

You could do better by presenting a more unbiased prospective. Please have your system administrator update your software coding to a prior uncorrupted version.
    Last edited by spudea; 01-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Hmm what would you call a party that has pledged to provide 0 votes on all the president's nominees no matter who it is or what it is for? that is typically a broad bipartisan process. Its understandable not to get 100% of your own party's votes based on small internal disagreements, but to get 0 votes from the other party is obstruction. Additionally, "by routinely objecting to the majority’s unanimous consent request, Democrats are triggering the Senate’s mandatory 30-hour post-cloture debate rule for each top Trump nominee. This absurd procedure requires the majority to expend 30-hours of Senate floor time for each nominee."

You could do better by presenting a more unbiased prospective. Please have your system administrator update your software coding to a prior uncorrupted version.
    Both parties play the obstructionist game. If you vote for a single issue the other party supports you are designated a traitor. Nothing new under Trump. You oppose things simply because the other party supports it.

Both parties play the obstructionist game. If you vote for a single issue the other party supports you are designated a traitor. Nothing new under Trump. You oppose things simply because the other party supports it.
    That isn't so, the Swampublicans routinely rubber stamp Demoncrat appointees and even when they don't there are always quite a few "moderates" who cross party lines and vote for them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good you agree. I'm sure if you look through history you will see much more bi-partisan process and votes for prior presidencies.

That isn't so, the Swampublicans routinely rubber stamp Demoncrat appointees and even when they don't there are always quite a few "moderates" who cross party lines and vote for them.
    Most of the "moderates" just retired.

One reason that Trump got to name so many judges is that Republican blocked Obama's nominees.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...225-story.html

As Obama's nominees languish in GOP Senate, Trump to inherit more than 100 court vacancies

Donald Trump is set to inherit an uncommon number of vacancies in the federal courts in addition to the open Supreme Court seat, giving the president-elect a monumental opportunity to reshape the judiciary after taking office.

The estimated 103 judicial vacancies that President Barack Obama is expected to hand over to Trump in the Jan. 20 transition of power is nearly double the 54 openings Obama found eight years ago following George W. Bush's presidency.

Confirmation of Obama's judicial nominees slowed to a crawl after Republicans took control of the Senate in 2015. Obama White House officials blame Senate Republicans for what they characterize as an unprecedented level of obstruction in blocking the Democratic president's court picks.

The result is a multitude of openings throughout the federal circuit and district courts that will allow the new Republican president to quickly make a wide array of lifetime appointments.
    more at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-01-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Most of the "moderates" just retired. One reason that Trump got to name so many judges is that Republican blocked Obama's nominees.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ma-court-nomi/
    So are you willing to admit that the Demoncrats are being more obstructionist than is usual even for them?

Some of them voted for W's nominees.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Which Ambassador jobs and why do we need them ?
    They're political appointee jobs; we need them because it helps spread the grift around.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    They're political appointee jobs; we need them because it helps spread the grift around.
    They should just hire me instead . I will do the same amount of work for much less grift .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They should just hire me instead . I will do the same amount of work for much less grift .
    You didn't donate enough to his campaign to qualify.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken