Thread: The Dark Side of LED Lighting

The Dark Side of LED Lighting

LED lights are making us blind and wreaking havoc on our endocrine systems, peer-reviewed studies show… Leading photobiologist recommends switching back to sunlight, candles and incandescent bulbs

One of the world’s top photobiologists has been trying to warn the public for years about the dangers of the government-mandated phasing out of incandescent lighting.

While LEDs (light-emitting diodes) are up to 95 percent more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs, we are paying for that savings with our health.

A physician and lecturer at Wismar University in Germany, Alexander Wunsch is an international consultant to governments, medical facilities and the lighting industry.

His message, though often ignored, is clear: blue light, isolated from all the other colors on the light spectrum, is damaging our retinas and disrupting our endocrine systems, resulting in all sorts of physical and mental illness.

It’s not a message the LED industry, governments looking to cut carbon emissions, or consumers saving money on electricity want to hear. But, as this Harvard Medical School report says, it is “backed up by study after study.”

Natural light vs. LED light

Natural light gives off all the colors (wavelengths) of the rainbow in a somewhat continuous manner, Wunsch explains in an interview with Dr. Mercola.

Typical “white” LED lights consist of a blue light-emitting diode and phosphor (fluorescent) coating.
    This fluorescent coating transforms part of the blue light into longer wavelengths, creating a yellowish “looking” light, but a large portion of the light emitted is still invisible blue light.

Blue light is high-energy, short-wave length “aggressive” light, responsible for keeping us awake and alert.
    While present in sunlight, and a necessary ingredient for life, blue light needs to be balanced by all other colors of light, particularly its opposite color of light – red.
    As you can see below, red light is absent in traditional fluorescent and LED lights:

Wunsch says most of us are severely deficient in near-infrared light, which has a wavelength of between 700 and 2500 nanometers.
    The heat generated by incandescent light bulbs is infrared radiation. While this heat requires more electricity, the infrared light it generates is actually beneficial to your health, and therefore worth the extra cost, in Dr. Mercola’s opinion.

Near-infrared light – like that generated by a candle or fire – primes the cells in your retina for rest, repair and regeneration, which is why Wunsch uses it as a therapy on his patients.

Near-infrared is also a crucial energy source for humans. According to Wunsch, only about one-third of our bodies’ thermodynamic energy comes from food. A much larger portion comes from “photonic energy” from the sun.

The more near-infrared radiation we get, the less food is required for maintaining thermal homeostasis (body temperature), he says.

Health problems associated with excess blue light

LED lighting may be one of the largest sources of non-native electromagnetic radiation we are exposed to on a daily basis.

In addition to lighting our houses, office buildings, schools, stores and streets, LEDs have become the dominant technology for back-lighted tablet displays, such as iPads and e-readers, and large LCD television sets. Virtually all reading these days involves staring directly at an LED light source, rather than at newspapers, magazines and books, where light is reflected off the paper, rather than beamed directly into our eyes.

https://returntonow.net/2017/11/15/d...NqLXWfwWRg7e1o

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great info--thanks for posting.

Depression is a serious issue with these lights too.

Exposure to light at night disrupts our circadian rhythms, potentially leading to a host of health problems, ranging from “depression to diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and cancer.”
    https://returntonow.net/2018/01/29/l...rd-study-says/
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

They also tout led lighting as 'running cool' , nothing could be more false, the lamps
    themselves may run cool but the resistors/electronics do not.
    I love led lighting in some things, but the headlights on my 17' suv are near useless, we
    seem to be going backwards in safety and practicality, and while
    they don't light up the road worth a damn, if you glance too directly at
    other led headlights when driving, they blind you much more than the
    old school lights , still not adequately lighting the
    road ahead.

I have just recently installed several new lighting fixtures including a 12 bulb chandelier and an 8 bulb chandelier. I have a 5 bulb chandelier over the dining table that once had five 40 watt incandescent bulbs. In my opinion five 9 watt LED bulbs are much brighter at 45 watts than the 200 watts that it replaced. The science always takes time to catch up with the product. Obviously they are bright and less expensive to operate and the cost has come down tremendously. These indicative signs should have been enough for me to know that they could not be good for me.

I am working on a new technology where I can sunlight when it is available and bring it inside and use it when it is dark while simultaneously trying to perfect my light transferring satellite technology that utilizes mirrors to reflect sunlight around the globe to transfer light from where it is sunny to where it is dark. Opponents of the solar transferring satellite technology are concerned that it will make the daylight dimmer and the climate cooler where the sun is shining.
    Last edited by Schifference; 01-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I have just recently installed several new lighting fixtures including a 12 bulb chandelier and an 8 bulb chandelier. I have a 5 bulb chandelier over the dining table that once had five 40 watt incandescent bulbs. In my opinion five 9 watt LED bulbs are much brighter at 45 watts than the 200 watts that it replaced. The science always takes time to catch up with the product. Obviously they are bright and less expensive to operate and the cost has come down tremendously. These indicative signs should have been enough for me to know that they could not be good for me.
    Mercola is not a reliable source. I mean, this is nonsensical:
    According to Wunsch, only about one-third of our bodies’ thermodynamic energy comes from food. A much larger portion comes from “photonic energy” from the sun
    Plants do that. Mammals do not.

Jesus, people. I know science is hard but use common sense.
    Last edited by angelatc; 01-02-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LOL, that must be why we are so run down in the winter. Our solar collectors are covered by clothing.

Now I'm starting to feel like a plant.

According to those graphs, isn't fluorescent light MUCH worse in that regard compared to LED lights, especially the warm LED lights?

It also seems like LED lights could easily be altered to help with that problem somewhat.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-02-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to angelatc again.

I wish someone would figure out how to store Summer Heat
    for winter and visa versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I wish someone would figure out how to store Summer Heat
    for winter and visa versa.
    It is called the ocean.
    Last edited by timosman; 01-02-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    It is called the ocean.
    Great, looking forward to free shipping with Prime' .

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Great, looking forward to free shipping with Prime' .
    Maybe Global Warming will deliver.

Some of us are absorbing vitamin D from the sun, while the ignorant continue to deteriorate under their blue LED lighting. Oh well, ignoramuses happen.
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Maybe Global Warming will deliver.
    Al Gore has planted 48 million acres of new forest since 1992, oh wait,
    he didn't even plant a single tree, but then no one in the GW movement
    is actually after solutions, its all about trillions in taxes. Super

Supporting Member
    Virgin Islands

To sit around and pretend that specific FREQUENCIES do not have specific affects on living things, is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them
    ~

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems each new technology comes with its own caveat.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

It looks like Sara Burrows, the author of that blog, misunderstood and then misreported something she read or heard in the actual interview with Wunsch. You can pretty much count on journalists (to say nothing of amateur bloggers) doing this any time they report on some specialized area of study.

Here's how a similar claim was worded with more care and detail in an article Mercola himself wrote about that same interview. I'm not endorsing Mercola, but I think he at least gets what he was talking about, unlike the author of the blog in the OP:
    According to Wunsch, as little as one-third of the energy your body requires for maintaining the thermal equilibrium comes from the food you eat. The electrons transferred from the food, primarily the fats and the carbohydrates, are ultimately transferred to oxygen and generate ATP. The more near infrared you get, the less nutritional energy is required for maintaining thermal homeostasis.

That said, a differentiation is in order. Most of the METABOLICALLY USED energy does come from food. But there is a thermodynamic aspect to it as well. Maintaining a normal body temperature (37 degrees C or 98.6 degrees F) involves two mechanisms: Energy production in your mitochondria from food, and photonic energy (near-infrared radiation from sunlight and incandescent light bulbs) that is able to penetrate deeply into your tissue, even through clothing.
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-lighting.aspx

I haven't read or listened to what Wunsch himself actually said that was the basis for this characterization. Nor am I inclined to bother to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    It looks like Sara Burrows, the author of that blog, misunderstood and then misreported something she read or heard in the actual interview with Wunsch. You can pretty much count on journalists (to say nothing of amateur bloggers) doing this any time they report on some specialized area of study.

Here's how a similar claim was worded with more care and detail in an article Mercola himself wrote about that same interview. I'm not endorsing Mercola, but I think he at least gets what he was talking about, unlike the author of the blog in the OP:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-lighting.aspx

I haven't read or listened to what Wunsch himself actually said that was the basis for this characterization. Nor am I inclined to bother to do that.
    I can't believe someone actually wants to argue about this.

Here's the thing; adding more words to it does not make it true. People do not photosynthesize - plants do. We do not turn light on any spectrum into energy. It is true that standing in the sun makes us warmer, but the inside of my car also does that.

At no point do humans convert light into internal chemical energy. Ever.
    Last edited by angelatc; 01-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

I can't believe someone actually wants to argue about this.
    Who are you talking about?

Here's the thing; adding more words to it does not make it true. People do not photosynthesize
    Yeah. I get that. And apparently Sara Burrows thought they did. But Wunsch apparently didn't really say that in the interview she was talking about.

It is true that standing in the sun makes us warmer, but the inside of my car also does that.
    That's apparently basically what Wunsch actually said.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 01-03-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Human Photosynthesis: A Turning Point in the Understanding and Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease
    https://www.omicsonline.org/human-ph....php?aid=14623

Human photosynthesis, the ultimate answer to the long term mystery of Kleiber’s law or E = M3/4: Implication in the context of gerontology and neurodegenerative diseases
    https://file.scirp.org/pdf/OJPsych_2013103011452941.pdf

Red Light Therapy
    https://www.inlightmedical.com/produ...light-therapy/
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens