Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why do we have a two party system?

  1. #1

    Why do we have a two party system?

    Ever heard of the good cop, bad cop routine?



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    I prefer no parties as I guess it would take some power away from the communists .
    Do something Danke

  4. #3

    Thumbs down D&R Global Crime Syndicate

    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Ever heard of the good cop, bad cop routine?
    Yeah, they both work for the same organization, The D&R party global crime syndicate.

    Last edited by RonZeplin; 12-30-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

  5. #4
    We don't have a two party system. We have a one party system.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  6. #5
    Because we have a winner-take-all kind of electoral system, contra the European system of proportional representation.

    That said, it makes no difference whatsoever as to the outcome.

    Whether it is the GOP or a coalition of 75 like-minded parties which increases spending, spending increases.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    We don't have a two party system. We have a one party system.
    The majority perception distinguishes two parties, because that distinction occurs down stream from that one party but upstream from the rest of us.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Yeah, they both work for the same organization, The D&R party global crime syndicate.

    Accurate, but truistic.

    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Ever heard of the good cop, bad cop routine?
    Facile.

    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Because we have a winner-take-all kind of electoral system, contra the European system of proportional representation.

    That said, it makes no difference whatsoever as to the outcome.

    Whether it is the GOP or a coalition of 75 like-minded parties which increases spending, spending increases.
    I think Rev 3 is closest to the truth. We have a two party system because faction inevitably manifests as such. Interests, perceived or actual, converge as well as contradict. In a government that is run by the numbers convergent interests will gradually, or may be cajoled to, coalesce into increasingly monolithic organizations. Eventually, I suppose, you wind up with just two (No matter how many there are nominally as in European Parliaments). I don't think this tendency can be avoided, it may be minimized by decentralization.

    This process was expedited by the information revolution, its harbinger the technical revolution, and has been encouraged by propaganda all along.

    Its a strange question, because the perceived fact is widely bewailed, yet strangely taken for granted.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bv3 View Post
    Eventually, I suppose, you wind up with just two (No matter how many there are nominally as in European Parliaments).
    It's somewhat Darwinian.

    If a legislative majority is required to govern, then there must be at least one majority party/coalition: else chaos and the system collapses.

    And, if there's one, there are likely two, since the parties on the outside then have a strong incentive to combine.

    It's the same in war (which, essentially, politics is).
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    It's somewhat Darwinian.

    If a legislative majority is required to govern, then there must be at least one majority party/coalition: else chaos and the system collapses.

    And, if there's one, there are likely two, since the parties on the outside then have a strong incentive to combine.

    It's the same in war (which, essentially, politics is).
    But at least with proportional representation the minor parties can switch sides in order to get deals to see their priorities happen.

    Why not give each Rep. multiple votes?

    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    It's somewhat Darwinian.

    If a legislative majority is required to govern, then there must be at least one majority party/coalition: else chaos and the system collapses.

    And, if there's one, there are likely two, since the parties on the outside then have a strong incentive to combine.

    It's the same in war (which, essentially, politics is).
    This is almost exactly what I was trying to say.



Similar Threads

  1. Is there a Two Party System?
    By MGee in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM
  2. The (new) Two Party System
    By GreenBulldog in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 05:55 AM
  4. Two Party System or One Party System
    By Bubba in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •