Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bake the Cake" issue reversed

"Bake the Cake" issue reversed

Cashier in vape store goes nuts over customer wearing #Trump shirt.

I posted in another thread how when the tables are turned, you can't count on the people you think you can. The reaction to this video is a prime example. Obviously, the left handles the issue much, much differently from the right (lol), but the issue is the same. But now we have the right overwhelmingly defending the customer.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I posted in another thread how when the tables are turned, you can't count on the people you think you can. The reaction to this video is a prime example. Obviously, the left handles the issue much, much differently from the right (lol), but the issue is the same. But now we have the right overwhelmingly defending the customer.
    But are they demanding government intervention?

Saying someone is wrong isn't the same as saying the government should force them to do what you want.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

If someone serves anything that I consume and they don't like me, I would never force them to serve me something. Having worked as a chef in my college days I saw what some co-workers did to rude customers food. If someone kicked me out of their establishment, I would be grateful rather than eating spit, piss, or worse.

That said, the video was hilarious.

The idiot is an employee, he doesn't have the right to refuse service to a customer based on his political beliefs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    But are they demanding government intervention?

Saying someone is wrong isn't the same as saying the government should force them to do what you want.
    They sure as hell ain't calling the guy a trespasser! They aren't defending the store's right to sell to whomever they wish!

And yes, many of them are specifically asking for government intervention to shut the store down for discrimination.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

The idiot is an employee, he doesn't have the right to refuse service to a customer based on his political beliefs.
    HA!! Bake the damned cake, amiright?!!

This should embarrass even you, Boromir.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Lol - yeah. The left is pathetic when they're not getting their way. At least if the tables were turned, the employee would be quoting scripture or something, instead of having a hissy fit.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HA!! Bake the damned cake, amiright?!!

This should embarrass even you, Boromir.
    He is an employee, it isn't his right to choose which customers to serve, if he doesn't like serving people in MAGA hats he needs to quit, his employer needs to fire him for driving away customers.

If he hates Trump voters so badly then he can start his own business and then he will have the right to refuse service.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why shouldn't he? If it's the owner's wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Who else here thinks that an employee has a right to drive away customers that he doesn't like?

How many of you wouldn't fire an employee like that?
    @CaptUSA if I was your employee and I refused service to Demoncrats would you continue to employ me? (Think hard and answer truthfully)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Why shouldn't he? If it's the owner's wishes.
    The owner wasn't there so unless he gave the employee permission the employee doesn't have the right.
    I severely doubt his boss gave him permission to deny service based on his political beliefs and the only reasonable assumption unless we learn otherwise is that he did not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The owner wasn't there so unless he gave the employee permission the employee doesn't have the right.
    I severely doubt his boss gave him permission to deny service based on his political beliefs and the only reasonable assumption unless we learn otherwise is that he did not.
    Was that stated in the video? Between the clerk's dramatic shrieks and the Trump dude demanding his vape juice and talking about healthcare with the black dude, I couldn't make out much of what was going on.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Who else here thinks that an employee has a right to drive away customers that he doesn't like?

@CaptUSA if I was your employee and I refused service to Demoncrats would you continue to employ me? (Think hard and answer truthfully)
    No, an employee doesn't and yes, I'd fire you.

He wanted to call Fox 5 and Corporate to get the dude fired. It's not the cashier's store.

It also shows the left's hypocrisy.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Was that stated in the video? Between the clerk's dramatic shrieks and the Trump dude demanding his vape juice and talking about healthcare with the black dude, I couldn't make out much of what was going on.
    One or both of them refer to calling his boss or corporate HQ.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, an employee doesn't and yes, I'd fire you.
    Fortunately I wouldn't presume to refuse service to anyone as an employee so you wouldn't have to fire me.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There's plenty of people in Seattle who would probably give him a raise, that being said didn't Mr. temper tantrum take a bitch swing at that guy?
    "The Patriarch"

Ha! Still trying to deny it??? lol.

Yes, the owner fires the employee. But... If the owner isn't there, the employee is representing the owner. So the employee can decide who he wants to serve and faces the repercussions (like I'm sure he will). But he's still dealing with a trespasser who won't leave the property.

There's plenty of people in Seattle who would probably give him a raise, that being said didn't Mr. temper tantrum take a bitch swing at that guy?
    Yes, he did.
    The customer almost got him to go through with the sale by threatening to charge him with assault.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    He wanted to call Fox 5 and Corporate to get the dude fired. It's not the cashier's store.

It also shows the left's hypocrisy.
    Yes, it does. Which is why this video is so instructive.

People don't care about liberty - they care about their own liberty.

Ha! Still trying to deny it??? lol.

Yes, the owner fires the employee. But... If the owner isn't there, the employee is representing the owner. So the employee can decide who he wants to serve and faces the repercussions (like I'm sure he will). But he's still dealing with a trespasser who won't leave the property.
    It's not his property and unless the customer is violating the law or damaging him or the business in some way or has permission from the owner he doesn't have a right to refuse service.

The government shouldn't be involved but this isn't a case of the employee having a right to refuse service, the customer should absolutely report him to his boss and then the boss can decide what to do.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What a moronic statement. The lefty snowflake is the store's representative. If he's the only one there, he has been given the right by the employer to act on his behalf. If he doesn't like the way the employee does that, the employer will fire him. But the employee in charge absolutely has the right to deny service to ANYONE for ANY reason. Just like the cake-baker. Whether or not he was the owner is of no consequence if he was the one making decisions at the time.

It's not his property and unless the customer is violating the law or damaging him or the business in some way or has permission from the owner he doesn't have a right to refuse service.

The government shouldn't be involved but this isn't a case of the employee having a right to refuse service, the customer should absolutely report him to his boss and then the boss can decide what to do.
    He is the one behind the counter so yes, he does have that right and may very well have permission from the owner. You seem to be forgetting the level of angst many have for Trump. But yes, by all means let management know.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not his property and unless the customer is violating the law or damaging him or the business in some way or has permission from the owner he doesn't have a right to refuse service..
    The customer was violating the law. He was trespassing. Once being asked to leave by the person in charge of the property, he should have left and called the owner. But no, he stayed to make a political point. MMMMmmm... can you smell that cake baking??

What a moronic statement. The lefty snowflake is the store's representative. If he's the only one there, he has been given the right by the employer to act on his behalf. If he doesn't like the way the employee does that, the employer will fire him. But the employee in charge absolutely has the right to deny service to ANYONE for ANY reason. Just like the cake-baker. Whether or not he was the owner is of no consequence if he was the one making decisions at the time.
    That's not how it works, an employee only has the right to deny service to someone in the interests of the business unless the employer tells him otherwise.

It's called fiduciary duty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Lol - I love the hypocrisy.

Never fails.

When people don't understand liberty, their responses are completely situational.

The customer was violating the law. He was trespassing. Once being asked to leave by the person in charge of the property, he should have left and called the owner. But no, he stayed to make a political point. MMMMmmm... can you smell that cake baking??
    He was NOT trespassing, the owner opened the store to the public and did not give his employee permission to exclude anyone just because he felt like it, only the owner could have made the man a trespasser for wearing Trump merchandise.

The employee only has a right to refuse service in the interests of the business or to quit.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Lol - I love the hypocrisy.

Never fails.

When people don't understand liberty, their responses are completely situational.
    This isn't about liberty, the employee is violating his fiduciary duty to his employer, the employer's rights are the ones being violated BY THE EMPLOYEE.

If I hire you to mow my field with my tractor that doesn't give you a right to drive it to town or sell rides on it, being hired as a clerk doesn't give you a right to drive customers out of my store, if you drive away enough customers I should not only fire you but sue you for monetary damages as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's not how it works, an employee only has the right to deny service to someone in the interests of the business unless the employer tells him otherwise.

It's called fiduciary duty.
    Lol - sure, the employee may have violated the fiduciary duty to the employer. An issue the employer should address with the employee, either by termination or, in the worse case, a tort, if it cost the employer lots of money.

But that is 100% completely beside the point! And shows that you will cling to any excuse to maintain your hypocrisy.

Any employee-in-charge can refuse service to anyone at any time. And they can ask the customer to leave the premises. Try switching the roles around and you'd see your own hypocrisy. But your cognitive dissonance (or your employers) won't allow it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast