Thread: Thomas Massie ignites ire by slowing down end of the year votes in protest

Thomas Massie ignites ire by slowing down end of the year votes in protest

THOMAS MASSIE IGNITES IRE BY SLOWING DOWN END OF THE YEAR VOTES IN PROTEST

Molly Prince
    12/20/2018

Republican Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky is upsetting members of the House of Representatives on both sides of the aisle by demanding end of the year voting be done by roll call rather than streamlining the process via voice votes.

“They’ve suspended my right to get a vote on matters of war, so I’m exercising my right to get a vote on everything else,” Massie told The Daily Caller News Foundation Thursday, referring to a resolution he co-sponsored in September that would withdraw U.S. support from Yemen.

“House members furious at Thomas Massie right now. Several have expressed their displeasure to him,” tweeted Manu Raju, CNN’s Senior Congressional Correspondent. “He’s making them take many roll call votes — rather than quick voice votes — as a way to protest GOP leaders denying vote on resolution to pull US support from Saudi-led war in Yemen.”

“Confirmed,” replied Republican Pennsylvania Rep. Ryan Costello on Twitter.

Massie acknowledged the backlash from his fellow lawmakers, tweeting that his colleagues were “annoyed to record their position on 10 bills tonight” which he state was “mainly because doing their jobs made them late to dinners and parties.” He also noted that it only takes five minutes per vote.

He later repeated the sentiments to TheDCNF, saying that “mostly they’re just upset that they have to come to work while they’re in Washington.”

read more:
    https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/20/t...en-war-powers/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rep. Thomas Massie fights back against sneaky attempt to suspend Congress' war powers

by Ryan Girdusky
    December 20, 2018

Only a few House members remained in the chamber late Wednesday night, preparing to vote on dozens of bills that would pass by voice vote. After six hours on the floor, Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., stood up and demanded that a quorum is in effect.

It seems like demanding a record of the vote is a small act, but Massie’s defiance against Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., had more profound implications. Massie took a stand against Ryan after House leadership added an amendment to the Farm Bill that suspended Congress’ war powers. Massie’s demand for Congress to reassert its constitutional powers and know what they’re voting on has caused a headache for the House GOP.

“Every year that I’ve been in Congress I’ve watched, with great frustration, the flood of bills that pass in the final week by voice vote and Unanimous Consent. Forcing roll call votes here draws the wrath of lots of my colleagues who just want to go home and who prefer not to be on the record,” Massie said in an email. “I decided this year to start objecting until the Speaker restores our War Powers privileges he suspended last week in the farm bill vote and until we get a complete list of bills they plan to pass. I think it’s pretty reasonable ask.”

In response to Massie’s efforts, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy announced that Congress would be voting on 35 bills on Thursday. Those bills included Veterans and Small Business Enhancement Act, Vehicular Terrorism Prevention Act of 2019, Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness and Advancing Innovation Act of 2018, Codifying Useful Regulatory Definitions Act, No Cyber Cooperation with Russia Act, Victims of Child Abuse Act Reauthorization Act of 2018, and the Elie Wiesel Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act of 2018.

All of those bills were about to pass the House without so much as a debate or a record of which congressmen actually supported it.

read more:
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ess-war-powers

All votes should be roll call votes, we need a constitutional amendment to outlaw voice votes.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

they were booing him on the House floor, lol.

Mr. Massie was booed on the House floor last week after insisting on a series of roll call votes in the days leading up to the shutdown, an act of protest after the House Republican leadership blocked a vote on his war powers resolution to end support for the war in Yemen.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/u...-shutdown.html

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    they were booing him on the House floor, lol.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/u...-shutdown.html
    I hope he takes that as the badge of honor that it is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I am approve Thomas Massie's shenanigans.

here's the video

Veterans and Small Business Enhancement Act
    I wonder what the "enhancement" of "veterans" entails.

On second thought, I don't think I want to know ...

Vehicular Terrorism Prevention Act of 2019
    Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness and Advancing Innovation Act of 2018
    No Cyber Cooperation with Russia Act
    Elie Wiesel Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act of 2018
    I feel so much safer just reading the titles of these acts.

I can't even begin imagine how much safer I'll feel once they've been passed ...

Codifying Useful Regulatory Definitions Act
    Victims of Child Abuse Act Reauthorization Act of 2018
    Does the Codifying Useful Regulatory Definitions Act address the issue of including the word "act" more than once in the title of an act?

If not, we may need a Department of Redundancy Department to formally regularize the practice ...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Vehicular Terrorism Prevention Act of 2019
    As I mentioned before, this made me feel much safer - until I realized that it only covers vehicular terrorism.

What about all the other forms of terrorism? The non-vehicular ones. Why aren't they going to be prevented?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    As I mentioned before, this made me feel much safer - until I realized that it only covers vehicular terrorism.

What about all the other forms of terrorism? The non-vehicular ones. Why aren't they going to be prevented?
    Probably some kind of green initiative encouraging terrorists to not use vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Good. Keep at it Sir Massie!

Yes.
    "The Patriarch"

Time to donate to my favorite congress critter again.
    "The Patriarch"

Massie is not a team player.

Good boy, Thomas.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I am agree.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He should have requested a recorded vote, on whether or not there should be a recorded vote.

IMO
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I am also approve.
    There is no spoon.

Angry Thomas Massie gets booed during Congressional session by colleagues

From Thomas' Facebook post:

Want to know how the Swamp really works?

Turn up your volume!

On the very last day of every Congress, I’ve noticed dozens of bills pass by voice vote and by unanimous consent even after Congressmen have left town. This year I demanded a recorded vote for every bill during the last week of Congress. A few of these special favor bills that would have sailed by using “unanimous consent,” like a bill for the cheese/milk lobby to have the FDA legally define “natural” cheese (and allow the industry to use artificial red and yellow dyes and still call it natural), failed when put to a voice vote.

It only takes one member of Congress to demand a recorded vote. So why don’t more members of Congress request a recorded vote? Watch this 26 second video to find out. I was literally booed by Congressmen on both sides of the aisle who felt inconvenienced when required to take 5 minutes and record their votes. These are the same Congressmen who make $174,000 per year and only worked 3 days last week. Most of the time I didn’t get booed simply because the House was nearly empty when I requested the recorded votes.

Here you can find a complete list of the bills and the vote totals for them. You will see that some failed, but what you won’t see are the bills that weren’t brought to the floor once Ryan and Pelosi realized I was going to require a recorded vote on all of them.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/index.asp

Footnote: Passing bills by unanimous consent is far more insidious than the other common method of “suspending the rules and voice voting bills,” which requires a 2/3 majority if anyone requests the vote. When a bill is passed by unanimous consent, it’s not debated, not even for a minute, and members are not warned it’s about to happen, so members don’t even have 1 minute to read the bill. It’s often weeks or even months before a member of Congress or their staff even realize the bill was passed by unanimous consent... if they ever realize. So some of my colleagues were thankful that I was willing to request the recorded votes last week.

Here is the video:
    https://www.facebook.com/RepThomasMa...1711500853320/
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Matt's too short to reach the "Search" button.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Matt's too short to reach the "Search" button.
    Or to see the Massie forum?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.