Thread: Harvard Biz Review Complains that Only White Men willing to Risk Their Lives as Firefighters

Harvard Biz Review Complains that Only White Men willing to Risk Their Lives as Firefighters

In Tuesday’s episode of “social justice gone awry,” Harvard Business Review complained about the lack of diversity in the firefighting business.
    “U.S. firefighters are overwhelmingly white and male. Here’s why that needs to change,” the publication said in a Tweet linking a to story.

Harvard Business Review is complaining that only white men are interested in risking life and limb in service to their community. Of course, they did not frame their story that way because, as we know, white men are the devil in this culture war.

“Many fire departments recognize that their lack of diversity as a problem and say they’re committed to increasing racial and gender diversity,” the article said. “But what’s the actual path for departments achieving more diversity? And if they do so, will their members embrace how it improves their organization?”
    The article explained that the physical aspects of the job, “climbing ladders, hauling hoses, and carrying victims from burning buildings” is only a “small subset” of the job. In essence, the author of the piece tried to preempt any counterargument about the differences in physical stature between men and women by claiming that firefighters don’t spend a lot of time fighting fires. Of course, this is a stupid line of argumentation because when firefighters are called upon to fight fires – regardless of how often it may be – they still must be physically prepared, otherwise they will be far less effective.
    The article said:
    To succeed as a firefighter, stereotypically masculine traits like brawn and courage are simply not enough. Firefighters also need the intellectual, social, and emotional skills required to deliver medical emergency aid, support each other through traumatic experiences, and engage intimately with the communities they serve. In short, successful firefighters embody a complex mix of skills and traits. And yet, in my research on reducing gender bias and my work conducting training on general diversity and inclusion with fire departments, I find that, when evaluating fit and competence, firefighters tend to default to a reductive set of traits (physical strength evaluated through strict fitness tests, for example) that serve to maintain white men’s dominance in the fire service.
    In other words, most firefighters are physically capable of doing the job (and that’s great) but they are still too white and male.

Just another day in a world where the left demonizes white men for immutable characteristics with which they were born.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/harvar...-firefighters/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Our towns fire dept. must be pretty progressive, I see quite a few females out running in the morning. But being a racist small town, they're all melanin challenged.
    "The Patriarch"

So what they are saying is mostly white men are smart enough to seek out and earn a job with a fat pension on the taxpayers expense that comes with enough time off to get another job too .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    So what they are saying is mostly white men are smart enough to seek out and earn a job with a fat pension on the taxpayers expense that comes with enough time off to get another job too .
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oyarde again.
    "The Patriarch"

Sooner or later, white men are going to tire of doing the heavy lifting required to keep this three ring circus running.

And then the $#@! will hit the fan.

If I'm stuck in a burning building can I request the brawny guy? I don't think the socially aware, emotional woman will be much help. I'm pretty sure I'll be socially aware and emotional enough in that situation without assistance.
    As a matter of fact, I'll take the brawny guy for my CPR, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    If I'm stuck in a burning building can I request the brawny guy? I don't think the socially aware, emotional woman will be much help. I'm pretty sure I'll be socially aware and emotional enough in that situation without assistance.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Covered.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I would definitely choose the brawny guy.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Sooner or later, white men are going to tire of doing the heavy lifting required to keep this three ring circus running.

And then the $#@! will hit the fan.
    Nothing smells more like toxic masculinity than entering a burning building and risking your life to save someone. As if women need saving in a fire. The audacity!

Was this before or after they wrote about the lack of diversity in the NBA or NFL?

I just don’t get it....where’s that sweet meteor of death when you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Was this before or after they wrote about the lack of diversity in the NBA or NFL?

I just don’t get it....where’s that sweet meteor of death when you need it?
    Silly man...you didn't get the memo.

Diversity = too many white people.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 7.00.48 PM.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	6294
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

covered