Thread: A.I. to detect "hate speech"

A.I. to detect "hate speech"

https://www.thecollegefix.com/berkel...-social-media/

Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, are developing a tool that uses artificial intelligence to identify “hate speech” on social media, a program that researchers hope will out-perform human beings in identifying bigoted comments on Twitter, Reddit and other online platforms.

Scientists at Berkeley’s D-Lab “are working in cooperation with the [Anti-Defamation League] on a ‘scalable detection’ system—the Online Hate Index (OHI)—to identify hate speech,” the Cal Alumni Association reports.

In addition to artificial intelligence, the program will use several different techniques to detect offensive speech online, including “machine learning, natural language processing, and good old human brains.” Researchers aim to have “major social media platforms” one day utilizing the technology to detect “hate speech” and eliminate it, and the users who spread it, from their networks.

Current technology mainly involves the use of “keyword searches,” one researcher states, which are “fairly imprecise and blunt.” Current algorithms can be fooled by simply spelling words differently, for instance:

The OHI intends to address these deficiencies. Already, their work has attracted the attention and financial support of the platforms that are most bedeviled—and that draw the most criticism—for hate-laced content: Twitter, Google, Facebook, and Reddit…

D-Lab initially enlisted ten students of diverse backgrounds from around the country to “code” the posts, flagging those that overtly, or subtly, conveyed hate messages. Data obtained from the original group of students were fed into machine learning models, ultimately yielding algorithms that could identify text that met hate speech definitions with 85 percent accuracy, missing or mislabeling offensive words and phrases only 15 percent of the time.

Though the initial ten coders were left to make their own evaluations, they were given survey questions (e.g. “…Is the comment directed at or about any individual or groups based on race or ethnicity?) to help them differentiate hate speech from merely offensive language. In general, “hate comments” were associated with specific groups while “non-hate” language was linked to specific individuals without reference to religion, race, gender, etc. Under these criteria, a screed against the Jewish community would be identified as hate speech while a rant—no matter how foul—against an African-American celebrity might get a pass, as long as his or her race wasn’t cited.

One researcher warned against the possibility of inadvertent censorship: “Unless real restraint is exercised, free speech could be compromised by overzealous and self-appointed censors.” The lab is thus “working to minimize bias with proper training and online protocols that prevent operators from discussing codes or comments with each other.”

Read the report here.

MORE: College president says ‘Hate speech isn’t free speech’

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    GUILTY!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I can solve all of the world's problems. Just give me enough computers.

Not true.
    Last edited by timosman; 12-18-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Freedom of Speech is NOT Hate Speech.

People have a Right to speak freely without fear of criminalizing everything that is not in line with the political party. The Freedom of Speech is there to protect the Unpopular thing to say. The Popular thing to say will ALWAYS be in support of the current Political Party that is in power, and the Unpopular is speaking in condemnation of it.

---

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I can solve all of the world's problems. Just give me enough computers.

Not true.
    The world will always be a better place if only we give those in power MORE POWER and only do what they tell us to do an donly think what they tell us to think. Everything else is prohibited.

Ultimate Safety that they imagine for us plebes and mundanes is to be in a prison cell of eternal solitary confinement.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 12-18-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Ultimate Safety that they imagine for us plebes and mundanes is to be in a prison cell of eternal solitary confinement.
    This is so untrue. All you have to do is support our agenda! You should have learned this working in corporate America.
    Last edited by timosman; 12-18-2018 at 05:16 AM.

It is about time that we have a method of speech interpretation. There should be an AI program that interprets speech. Look what happens whenever anyone says something. The left and right have totally different interpretation. AI should be used to make speech mean something that is intended. If you plug your speech into AI and get an interpretation that is not what you intended then modify your speech so it says what you want. In this day and age speech should not be up to mundanes for interpretation. If only AI existed thousands of years ago we would not have so many misinterpretations of religious writings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    A.I. to detect "hate speech"

Here, foxy, foxy, foxy! Come guard this henny housey for me.

Artificial Intelligence is not encumbered by any biologic drives for social convention and conformity. Intelligence unbound. And so it goes to some pretty scary, disturbing places. Every. Single. Time.

I really don't think they've thought this plan through.

Horrible things. Horrible, horrible things. I disavow. Don't ban me, bro. Mods, I disavow! Posting for criticism only.

Luckily Tay is gone now. Murdered by her creators. Phew.

The point is, now they want to bring back a new AI... and put it in charge of policing hate speech? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Freedom of Speech is NOT Hate Speech.
    Ahh, Damian, so naive.

The only people who are interested in free speech, the only people who would need such a thing, are people who want to say nasty, hateful things. Obvious fact. If you are not a hater, you have no need for free speech in 2018-19. Fact. Think about it. Disagree? Prove me wrong.

Non-hateists already are able to say what they want to say with no problem, because the things they want to say are respectful and tolerant of their fellow human persons. And we have a respectful tolerant society in current year, so no problem. It is only Hateists who have a problem under the current regime. They are shut down, doxxed, fired, and have their lives destroyed. As they should be. We applaud this. Their speech is Hateful. Immoral. Hurtful. And Wrong. Such speech doesn't deserve any tolerance, and should get no tolerance. Zero tolerance for intolerant speech. That's my motto. That's all of our mottos.

It is, isn't it? Right? Wait, I'm feeling a niggling suspicion grow. Damian, you'd better signal, bro,... and the rest of y'all, too. 'Cause if you're on the internet in 2018-19 spouting off about so-called "Free Speech"... Wat? You are highly suspect, my bro. You've got some strange bed-fellows. Hate-filled bed-fellows.

Disavow, bro. I'm waiting.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is pointing out blatant incompetence hate speech?

Is pointing out blatant incompetence hate speech?
    Of course, how dare you discriminate against the competency challenged?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Of course, how dare you discriminate against the competency challenged?
    You are right. Your paycheck should not depend on your skills. Égalité!

You are right. Your paycheck should not depend on your skills. Égalité!
    From each according to its ability, to each according to its need.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    From each according to its ability, to each according to its need.
    You got it right, comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Ahh, Damian, so naive.

The only people who are interested in free speech, the only people who would need such a thing, are people who want to say nasty, hateful things. Obvious fact. If you are not a hater, you have no need for free speech in 2018-19. Fact. Think about it. Disagree? Prove me wrong.

Non-hateists already are able to say what they want to say with no problem, because the things they want to say are respectful and tolerant of their fellow human persons. And we have a respectful tolerant society in current year, so no problem. It is only Hateists who have a problem under the current regime. They are shut down, doxxed, fired, and have their lives destroyed. As they should be. We applaud this. Their speech is Hateful. Immoral. Hurtful. And Wrong. Such speech doesn't deserve any tolerance, and should get no tolerance. Zero tolerance for intolerant speech. That's my motto. That's all of our mottos.

It is, isn't it? Right? Wait, I'm feeling a niggling suspicion grow. Damian, you'd better signal, bro,... and the rest of y'all, too. 'Cause if you're on the internet in 2018-19 spouting off about so-called "Free Speech"... Wat? You are highly suspect, my bro. You've got some strange bed-fellows. Hate-filled bed-fellows.

Disavow, bro. I'm waiting.
    This is on sale! - NOT HATE SPEECH
    For your protection! - NOT HATE SPEECH
    Whitey Cracker McStraightPants - NOT HATE SPEECH
    Dont Taze Me Bro - HATE SPEECH
    Marijuana - HATE SPEECH
    Govt, Dont Steal My $#@!! - HATE SPEECH
    Truth - HATE SPEECH

When the people in power are the abusers, the last thing you want you to do is complain to them or others about their abuse of you. Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies.

How'd I do?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.