Thread: Lamar Alexander to Retire in 2020

Lamar Alexander to Retire in 2020

“I will not be a candidate for re-election to the United States Senate in 2020. The people of Tennessee have been very generous, electing me to serve more combined years as Governor and Senator than anyone else from our state,” Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said in press release.

The 78-year-old Alexander is the chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, and has served in the Senate since 2003. He was Governor of Tennessee from 1979-1987.
    “I am deeply grateful, but now it is time for someone else to have that privilege,” the release said. “I have gotten up every day thinking that I could help make our state and country a little better, and gone to bed most nights thinking that I have. I will continue to serve with that same spirit during the remaining two years of my term.”

Alexander, who spent more than 50 years in politics, quit Republican party leadership a few years ago in order to “get results,” which is D.C. code language for compromising with Democrats at the expense of conservatism.

In an interview with John Harwood in 2017, he bemoaned the lack of cooperation between parties.
    “You know, if all I want to do is make a speech, or shout, I’d go to a street corner or buy a radio station. I want to get a result. And that’s harder to do today, because the extremes are polarizing,” he said.
    The “results” referred to by Alexander almost always meant sacrificing conservative values. In fact, during the 50 years that Alexander was in office, conservatives failed to truly conserve anything. They lost on every social issue. They lost on small government, building the bloated bureaucracy that plagues us today. They lost on government spending, leading us to a $21 trillion national debt.
    Most importantly, they lost touch with the ordinary, blue collar American. Make no mistake – Alexander is part of the generation that ruined government for and by the people.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/senato...etire-in-2020/

https://www.thenewamerican.com/freedom-index

Sen. Lamar Alexander - 52%
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need to run someone to replace him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

50 years in politics and a total scumbag.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    50 years in politics and a total scumbag.
    COINCIDENCE?

I THINK NOT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Its 2019 already more or less so hopefully a good candidate comes forward .
    Do something Danke

Bill Haslam announcing Senate campaign in 3... 2... 1...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Bill Haslam announcing Senate campaign in 3... 2... 1...
    Is that good or bad?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Tennessean: Gov. Bill Haslam considers 2020 bid for US Senate in wake of Sen. Lamar Alexander's retirement news.
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...nt/2341845002/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Is that good or bad?
    Very bad. But if it is like the Governor's race and multiple establishment people get in then there is a chance for a conservative to win.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I think John McAfee lives in TN. It would at least make that race entertaining!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire