Thread: Question about bifocals

Question about bifocals

When I went to the eye doctor a few months ago he gave me a prescription but said I was fine to just keep buying my cheapo readers. Well, since I've started working it sucks to constantly be taking glasses on and off. I keep them on my head but I noticed they're pulling out my hair and every time I have to bend over they fall off my head. Annoying. Anyway, I'm thinking about taking my prescription and getting a pair of bifocals that I can just wear when I'm working but everyone I know who has them, hates them. Mr A has a pair of no lines (he hates them) and my mom has had both kinds.

Any suggestions on what kind to get. I don't really care if they have lines. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on glasses I hate. Are they easy to get used to? Mr A & my mom say no but they're set in their ways. I'm much more adaptable than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wear bi-focals because I'm long and short sighted. I've had to update them every few years as eyesight loss tends to increase with age. When I first got a set, lined, it threw me off for about two to three weeks. Now I don't even notice it. Eyes and brain adjusts. To keep them secure I use 'Cablez' which allows me to tighten, secured, or expand to lower to my neck.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablz-Eyewear...97532767&psc=1

Suzanimal could get one of those fancy gold chain thingies and just drop them around her neck when not in use . Better than getting hair pulled out . When I was still working if I used a pr of readers I just got a pair that would stay at the end of my nose and just looked above them all the time when not in use but I was just directing people around not serving customers or anything .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Suzanimal could get one of those fancy gold chain thingies and just drop them around her neck when not in use . Better than getting hair pulled out . When I was still working if I used a pr of readers I just got a pair that would stay at the end of my nose and just looked above them all the time when not in use but I was just directing people around not serving customers or anything .
    I have a naughty librarian chain and a monocle but they have a tendency to get caught in the cooler dividers when I'm bending down to get beer.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I wore my sequined elf hat to work and just wore my readers all day. It worked except for the fact that I was dizzy and my eyes hurt at the end of the day. That's when I thought getting bifocals may be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I have a naughty librarian chain and a monocle but they have a tendency to get caught in the cooler dividers when I'm bending down to get beer.
    Maybe try a shorter librarian chain , those are hot so should be good for tips from dirty old men which should be your primary target .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Maybe try a shorter librarian chain , those are hot so should be good for tips from dirty old men which should be your primary target .
    Yes. The dirty old men love me. They are my customer base. The young men go for the the Hooters Hoes. They have no taste.

Yes. The dirty old men love me. They are my customer base. The young men go for the the Hooters Hoes. They have no taste.
    and you've reminded me why I quit going to bars... dirty old men that have questionable personal hygiene habits ..
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    and you've reminded me why I quit going to bars... dirty old men that have questionable personal hygiene habits ..
    My dirty old men are hygienic. I'd steer clear of Russ and Cookie, though. They just got back from Costa Rica. They told me they go a few times a year because they like the hookers there. Russ also pays one of the Hooters Hoes a thousand dollars a month to "clean his house" every week.

I've never liked wearing glasses. I eventually want to get laser eye surgery so I don't have to. In the past I tried wearing contacts but I was so scared of accidentally poking my eyes out I gave up on them.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I've never liked wearing glasses. I eventually want to get laser eye surgery so I don't have to. In the past I tried wearing contacts but I was so scared of accidentally poking my eyes out I gave up on them.
    I don't like wearing them either but seeing is more important. I can't stick anything in my eye.

My dirty old men are hygienic. I'd steer clear of Russ and Cookie, though. They just got back from Costa Rica. They told me they go a few times a year because they like the hookers there. Russ also pays one of the Hooters Hoes a thousand dollars a month to "clean his house" every week.
    The hookers in Costa Rica are a big step up from what you generally see here. The fact that it is legal there probably has a lot to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I shower daily .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The hookers in Costa Rica are a big step up from what you generally see here. The fact that it is legal there probably has a lot to do with that.
    They said they're better quality and cheaper. Mr A agreed with them when I told him what they did and I was like, WTF? He says he didn't hire one when he was there but he sure seemed to know a lot about them.

I use readers when I wear contacts. My glasses are a progressive lens. Expensive as can be.

Use a Sharpie when you take orders. Cheaper than glasses.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I use readers when I wear contacts. My glasses are a progressive lens. Expensive as can be.

Use a Sharpie when you take orders. Cheaper than glasses.
    I think that's what my husband got that he hates. His glasses were around 400.00. Writing down the order isn't the problem. People ask questions about the menus and we have several dishes that have very similar names and I like to point at the item on the menu to make sure that's what they want. I also can't see the words on the computer screen or the credit card receipts. I have to be able to read the tip.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I get it. I don’t think you want to pay that much for glasses if you don’t need them all the time. I have poor vision and need glasses or contacts all the time. Maybe try a very small half-frame. You might look like Granny, but not if you get something cool.

Are you using a metal frame?. I don’t get the hair-pulling if I wear a plastic frame.
    #NashvilleStrong

When I went to the eye doctor a few months ago he gave me a prescription but said I was fine to just keep buying my cheapo readers. Well, since I've started working it sucks to constantly be taking glasses on and off. I keep them on my head but I noticed they're pulling out my hair and every time I have to bend over they fall off my head. Annoying. Anyway, I'm thinking about taking my prescription and getting a pair of bifocals that I can just wear when I'm working but everyone I know who has them, hates them. Mr A has a pair of no lines (he hates them) and my mom has had both kinds.

Any suggestions on what kind to get. I don't really care if they have lines. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on glasses I hate. Are they easy to get used to? Mr A & my mom say no but they're set in their ways. I'm much more adaptable than they are.
    I have the lines kind, and they're fine for me. SOmeone I know just got the type without the lines and hates them.

They do take some getting used to, but I'm blind as a bat without my glasses so I just put them on and dealt with it for a few days.

I get it. I don’t think you want to pay that much for glasses if you don’t need them all the time. I have poor vision and need glasses or contacts all the time. Maybe try a very small half-frame. You might look like Granny, but not if you get something cool.

Are you using a metal frame?. I don’t get the hair-pulling if I wear a plastic frame.
    I think I might go try on some of those 1/2 lenses. I'm not sure those come in cool, lol.

I'm not using metal but I think it's the constant up and down with them that's breaking off my hair.

I wear my readers on top of my head when I use contacts. I have no problem with the up and down. I generally get really fun readers at Dollar General. They have the half glasses that will give you the bifocal just where you need it. They come in fun colors with some bling.

When I became a grandmother I learned it’s okay to have the trappings of being older as long as they are bright, sparkly, or do a trick. My readers are all great colors and styles and one of my canes glows in the dark.
    #NashvilleStrong

I wear my readers on top of my head when I use contacts. I have no problem with the up and down. I generally get really fun readers at Dollar General. They have the half glasses that will give you the bifocal just where you need it. They come in fun colors with some bling.

When I became a grandmother I learned it’s okay to have the trappings of being older as long as they are bright, sparkly, or do a trick. My readers are all great colors and styles and one of my canes glows in the dark.
    I think I'll check out the Dollar General. Thanks. I love sparkly. I'm also dying for a pair of green frames but they're hard to find.

Costco sells high-quality Progressives (no-line type) at a good price, about half what you'd pay at a typical optician's office. (I believe that they are made by Essilor). Only downside is that their frame selection is limited. I've worn them for about 10 years with no complaints. I adapted to them from regular single-vision lenses with no problem.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."