Thread: Nations agree milestone rulebook for Paris climate treaty

Nations agree milestone rulebook for Paris climate treaty

Nations on Sunday struck a deal to breathe life into the landmark 2015 Paris climate treaty after marathon UN talks that failed to match the ambition the world's most vulnerable countries need to avert dangerous global warming.Delegates from nearly 200 states finalised a common rule book designed to deliver the Paris goals of limiting global temperature rises to well below two degrees Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit).
    "Putting together the Paris agreement work programme is a big responsibility," said COP24 president Michal Kurtyka as he gavelled through the deal after talks in Poland that ran deep into overtime.
    "It has been a long road. We did our best to leave no one behind."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/nations-agree...211821146.html

Isn't it a good thing Trump pulled out?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Nations on Sunday struck a deal to breathe life into the landmark 2015 Paris climate treaty after marathon UN talks that failed to match the ambition the world's most vulnerable countries need to avert dangerous global warming.Delegates from nearly 200 states finalised a common rule book designed to deliver the Paris goals of limiting global temperature rises to well below two degrees Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit).
    "Putting together the Paris agreement work programme is a big responsibility," said COP24 president Michal Kurtyka as he gavelled through the deal after talks in Poland that ran deep into overtime.
    "It has been a long road. We did our best to leave no one behind."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/nations-agree...211821146.html

Isn't it a good thing Trump pulled out?
    Yea, isn't that a good thing that Trump pulled out and then we read this.

It also calls on richer countries to be clearer about the aid they intend to offer to help poorer nations install more clean energy or build resilience against natural disasters. And it builds a process in which countries that are struggling to meet their emissions goals can get help in getting back on track.

The United States agreed to the deal despite President Trump’s vow to abandon the Paris Agreement. Diplomats and climate change activists said they hoped that fact would make it easier for the administration to change its mind and stay in the Paris Agreement, or for a future president to embrace the accord once again. The United States cannot formally withdraw from the agreement until late 2020.

Observers said United States negotiators worked constructively behind the scenes with China on transparency rules. The two countries had long been at odds because China had insisted on different reporting rules for developing countries, while the United States favored consistent emissions-accounting rules and wanted all countries to be subject to the same outside scrutiny.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...nlY?li=BBnbcA1

I think any celebrations is premature seeing as how Trump like to claim that he won negotiations. His problem with the Paris accord was that it was unfair to the US not that climate change alarmism is a scam not unlike the Y2K alarmism. Mark my words, he or someone in his cabinet will keep the Paris accord going.

Extinction Rebellion: UK Protesters Are Supergluing Themselves to Buildings to Fight Climate C

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yea, isn't that a good thing that Trump pulled out and then we read this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...nlY?li=BBnbcA1

I think any celebrations is premature seeing as how Trump like to claim that he won negotiations. His problem with the Paris accord was that it was unfair to the US not that climate change alarmism is a scam not unlike the Y2K alarmism. Mark my words, he or someone in his cabinet will keep the Paris accord going.
    He is trying to help those countries that didn't leave by participating in the negotiations on our way out.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment