Thread: TIME's 25 Most Influential Teens of 2018

TIME's 25 Most Influential Teens of 2018

http://time.com/5463721/most-influential-teens-2018/

December 10, 2018

Kiernan Shipka, Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Chole Kim, Amika George

To determine TIME’s annual list, we consider accolades across numerous fields, global impact through social media and overall ability to drive news. In the past, we’ve recognized everyone from singer Lorde to Olympic champion Simone Biles to political activist Joshua Wong. Here’s who made this year’s cut (ordered from youngest to oldest):

Marley Dias, 13

When Marley Dias was in the sixth grade, she encountered a problem: “At home I always got to see black girls and diverse experiences being reflected in the books I read,” Dias tells TIME. “But at school, I did not have access to those experiences.” So Dias, an avid reader, embarked on a mission to collect one thousand books featuring black female protagonists (mostly from donations), and distribute them to communities in need. Since its launch in 2015, #1000BlackGirlBooks has helped distribute more than 11,000 books to libraries, schools and community organizations around the world. And Dias, now a high school freshman, recently published her own book, Marley Dias Gets It Done: And So Can You. Her goal, she says, is to ensure that “kids know that changing the world should not be something that feels imaginary, but something that you have the power to do today and always.” —Rachel E. Greenspan

Rishab Jain, 14

Treating cancer requires immense precision: Doctors try to kill all the diseased cells, while sparing as many healthy ones as possible. This can be especially difficult for pancreatic cancer, since the pancreas moves around, and sometimes gets obscured by other organs. In an effort to help solve this problem, Rishab Jain, an eighth grader from Oregon, developed a software tool that, during simulations, was shown to help doctors zero in on the pancreas more accurately, ideally improving treatments. The algorithm won Jain the $25,000 top prize at the Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge in October, and he’s now trying to find hospital and physician partners who could help him run a clinical trial to continue testing. “I’ve gotten to see how doctors can make an immediate difference in people’s lives,” Jain says, “so I want to continue pursuing that.” —Jamie Ducharme

Marsai Martin, 14

At just 14, Marsai Martin has a career that most adults would envy—she’s already won two NAACP Image Awards and a Young Artist Award for her role as Diane Johnson on ABC’s Emmy-nominated blackish. But her next project, executive producing and starring in Little alongside Issa Rae, a film based on an idea she pitched herself, may well take her to the next level. Martin tells TIME that her passion for performing began as a two-year-old, when her parents were amazed to find her acting out scenes from Dreamgirls. “I think it’s been in my blood for a long time,” says Martin. Despite not being old enough to vote, Martin campaigned for Stacey Abrams in Georgia and used her platform to encourage her 460,000 Instagram followers to go to the polls. “When you really believe in something,” Martin says, “you will stand up for it. You will push for it to become a reality.” —Rachel E. Greenspan

Millie Bobby Brown, 14

After rocketing to near-overnight global fame as the Eggo-loving, telekinetic Eleven in Stranger Things, Millie Bobby Brown has emerged as one of Hollywood’s hottest young stars, with a host of A-list superfans, including Drake, Karlie Kloss and Aaron Paul, and an online following of more than 18 million people. In 2018, a year in which a season of Stranger Things will not air, she became the youngest person to ever be named one of TIME’s 100 most influential people as well as a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. And her star is only just beginning to rise. Brown is already set to make her feature film debut in the 2019 Godzilla sequel, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, reprise that role in 2020’s Godzilla vs. Kong, and both produce and star in a film series based on Nancy Springer’s Enola Holmes Mysteries novels.—Megan McCluskey

Storm Reid, 15

In Ava DuVernay’s diverse re-imagining of A Wrinkle in Time, which premiered earlier this year, Reid appeared alongside Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling as the main character, Meg Murry—a role that Reid told the Washington Post allowed her to “represent girls who look like me and let them know they can do anything.” Now the self-described “future filmmaker”—who made her feature film debut in 12 Years a Slave at age 10—is not only set to star in another of DuVernay’s hotly anticipated projects, the Netflix miniseries Central Park Five, but also the 2019 Blumhouse Productions thriller Relive. —Megan McCluskey

Thandiwe Abdullah, 15

As a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter LA Youth Vanguard, Abdullah has become one of her generation’s most powerful voices on issues relating to social justice. This year alone, she has advocated for black youth in front of half a million people during the Women’s March in Los Angeles and written a widely shared op-ed for Bustle that addressed the need for intersectionality within the Never Again MSD movement. Through the Youth Vanguard, Abdullah also helped create “Black Lives Matter in Schools,” a program that aims to end the policing and profiling that black and brown students experience; its agenda was recently adopted this summer by the National Education Association. Now Abdullah is looking to the future, with plans of practicing law and continuing her work as an activist. “I want to change the world’s perception of black youth and to empower black youth to claim their own space and demand to have our needs met,” Abdullah tells TIME. “I want to transform the systems that we live under from ones that oppress us to ones that empower us.” —Cady Lang

Bhad Bhabie, 15

It’s hard to imagine a more fitting title for Bhad Bhabie’s debut mixtape than 15. The name refers not only to her age, but to the number of minutes her fame might have lasted had she not leveraged viral meme-hood into a legitimate music career. Her public life began in late 2016, when Bhabie (real name: Danielle Bregoli) appeared on an episode of Dr. Phil titled, “I Want To Give Up My Car-Stealing, Knife-Wielding, Twerking 13-Year-Old Daughter Who Tried To Frame Me For A Crime.” At one point, the audience booed her, and Bregoli turned to them and shouted, with outsize confidence, “Cash me outside, how ‘bout dah?” A meme was born, and eventually, so was a rap career. “When I became famous and realized that I could literally do whatever I wanted,” Bregoli says, “music was the first thing I wanted to do.” In September 2017, she signed a multi-million dollar deal with Atlantic Records, and with her recent single, “These Heaux,” Bregoli became the youngest female rapper ever to chart on the Billboard Hot 100. Next up: a Snapchat reality show. And while Bregoli is floored that she’s gone from spending some nights sleeping on the floor of a trailer to being one of this year’s popular Halloween costumes, she recognizes that she’s not exactly a role model. “Y’all can dress like me,” she says. “Just don’t act like me.” —Eliza Berman

Greta Thunberg, 15

Before Sweden’s general elections in September, Thunberg went on a three-week strike from school in an effort to urge her government to act on climate change. “I thought that nothing is happening and no one is doing anything — it is my moral duty to do what I can,” she tells TIME of her mission. “I cannot vote, so this is a way that I can make my voice heard.” Since then, Thunberg has inspired hundreds of similar school strikes around the world, including a mass school walkout in Australia. She has also been nominated for an international prize for her activism and recently met with the U.N. Secretary General at the COP24 climate summit in Poland. She plans to strike every Friday until Sweden is aligned with the Paris Agreement on climate change; while the Scandinavian country is one of only a handful in Europe actively pursuing policies to meet the climate goals, Thunberg says it is not enough. In October, she took her message to a crowd of more than 10,000 at a climate change demonstration in Helsinki. “Instead of worrying about the future, you should try to change it while you still can.” —Suyin Haynes

NCT Dream, 16-19

With their synchronized choreography, bold aesthetic and dynamic performances bridging rap and song, seven-member K-pop group NCT Dream may appear similar to other rising boy bands from South Korea. But the group boasts a special feature: It consists only of members below the age of 20, as it’s fashioned as the youth subunit of umbrella group NCT. Together, Mark, Renjun, Jeno, Haechan, Jaemin, Chenle and Jisung made headlines this year when their mini-album, “We Go Up,” peaked at #5 on Billboard’s World Albums chart and topped iTunes Albums charts in 15 countries. A big part of the group’s appeal is that they connect with teenagers, as teenagers. “More than just putting on a performance with great visuals and choreography, we really want our music to be a reflection of the thoughts and struggles that teens our age go through,” Mark tells TIME. The group’s title tracks have followed a narrative of the stages of adolescence, transitioning from innocence to rebellion—and growth. “For the older fans, I hope that NCT Dream could be a group that helps them reminisce and look back on their younger selves,” Haechan says. —Kat Moon

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I see that only one of them actually made a positive contribution to society.

edit: another one is helping to cure the type of brain cancer that John McCain succumbed to.. at least they waited till after.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-14-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Her public life began in late 2016, when Bhabie (real name: Danielle Bregoli) appeared on an episode of Dr. Phil titled, “I Want To Give Up My Car-Stealing, Knife-Wielding, Twerking 13-Year-Old Daughter Who Tried To Frame Me For A Crime.”
    Now, she's a rapper. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Now theres some kids that don't deserve to be influential.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Teens? Time has really jumped the shark with this one.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

It was known what would become of TIME when he bought it.

Time Magazine, the storied publication whose cover images for decades helped shape the national conversation, has been sold to a Silicon Valley billionaire. Salesforce.com owner Marc Benioff and his wife, Lynne, are buying the magazine from Meredith Corp.
    Benioff supported Hillary Clinton for President of the United States in the 2016 presidential election.
    FJB

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Man, the black ones are racist. Not one of them did anything to help EVERYBODY...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.