Thread: Liberty Is Still Popular

Liberty Is Still Popular

Liberty Is Still Popular
    A recent poll shows a cross-partisan constituency still interested in smaller, less intrusive government and peace.

Ron Paul
    October 29, 2018

Listening to the media, one would be forgiven for thinking that the "Libertarian Moment" has passed. After all, few candidates are running on a platform of limited government, individual liberty, and a non-interventionist foreign policy. Instead, both parties push expansions of government power, whether nationalized health care, increased surveillance, or tariffs. And for all the partisan invective coming out of D.C., both parties are more than willing to work together to increase spending and debt.

However, a poll from last month conducted by Liberty Government Affairs and Gravis Marketing, shows that liberty is still popular. It also shows that a growing number of Americans are rejecting the D.C. consensus on many issues.

For example, the foreign policy establishment insists that America must stay in Afghanistan for as long as it takes to achieve victory—even though no one can define what victory would look like. The Liberty-Gravis poll found that 46.1 percent of Americans favor withdrawal from Afghanistan. Only 29.1 percent of Republicans support continuing to stay, while 37.4 percent of Republicans disagree with President Trump, and agree with candidate Trump, that the U.S. should end its longest war.

The drug war is another issue where grassroots Republicans disagree with most Republicans politicians. Forty-seven percent of Republicans in this poll support ending the war on marijuana, compared to 34 percent of Republicans who support continuing marijuana prohibition. Ending the federal war on marijuana is also overwhelmingly popular with Democrats and Independents. Legalizing marijuana is yet another issue where voters side with candidate Trump over President Trump—or at least his authoritarian Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

read more:
    https://reason.com/archives/2018/10/...-still-popular

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately, most people are only interested in liberty as it pertains to themselves. They have little to no interest in the liberty of their neighbors.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Giving Lip Service to Liberty Is Still Popular
    Fixed. Sadly, this is one of the few things about which Ron Paul is wrong.

Liberty is like the weather. Everyone talks about it, but ...

Liberty is popular but it isn't given much priority, there is always something else that most people think is more important.
    The only thing that should be given a higher priority is the preservation of liberty.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The poll does not just contain bad news for the authoritarians of the right. The survey found that 46.6 percent of Democrats answered "yes" to supporting politicians who would "seek to reduce the size of the federal government, lower federal taxes, and end continuing conflicts abroad."
    O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Call me a skeptic but no way I believe those dem poll numbers
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I don't believe any of them. If liberty was popular there would be blood in the streets.
    "The Patriarch"

I don't believe any of them. If liberty was popular there would be blood in the streets.
    Let us try everything else first.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Liberty is popular but it isn't given much priority, there is always something else that most people think is more important.
    The only thing that should be given a higher priority is the preservation of liberty.
    This is a really good first step statement. + rep

I encourage you to think about that a little more deeply. Try applying that to all the issues. And this job you're doing on this site.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

It's all in the way they phrase the questions. They can get these polls to move however they want. Most people really do want liberty. For themselves.

But when answering poll questions, it's about what frame of reference you put the respondent in. Are you asking what they want for themselves, or what they want for their country?? Even in the most honest reputable polls, the respondent will know that answer in the first couple of seconds - by the way the sentence structure is arranged, by the pitch, timbre, tone and overtones of the callers voice, and even by the time of day.

But don't fool yourself... there is a part of everyone that wants liberty. Part of our job is to find it.

I'm still working on that one. It's a slow go.
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 12-14-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    We got a chunk of them behind Ron Paul. Rand decided to play Good Republican and chased them away, but the Ron Paul coalition saw Democrats registering Republican to vote for him in primaries.

Partisanship is the wedge they're using to divide people who want liberty and/or peace from people who want liberty and/or peace.

Notice the only Republicans and the only Democrats they ever, ever point cameras and microphones at are the ones who'd as soon lock everyone else up as look at them. That's not hardly an accident. Nor is it an accident that partisans were sent here to demonize all the Democrats and Libertarians with a Democratic background who were still hanging around.

It worked, too. Bolton got his money's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    We got a chunk of them behind Ron Paul. Rand decided to play Good Republican and chased them away, but the Ron Paul coalition saw Democrats registering Republican to vote for him in primaries.

Partisanship is the wedge they're using to divide people who want liberty and/or peace from people who want liberty and/or peace.

Notice the only Republicans and the only Democrats they ever, ever point cameras and microphones at are the ones who'd as soon lock everyone else up as look at them. That's not hardly an accident. Nor is it an accident that partisans were sent here to demonize all the Democrats and Libertarians with a Democratic background who were still hanging around.

It worked, too. Bolton got his money's worth.
    ^^^This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    ^^^This^^^
    Got a rep from me.
    "The Patriarch"

I appreciate Rons optimism and I want everyone in this country to believe in freedom and liberty but I think were at the point of no return.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge