Thread: Hemp Rider Isn't Stopping the Farm Bill

Hemp Rider Isn't Stopping the Farm Bill

I'm sure we're all heartbroken to hear the DEA isn't pleased about it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/farm...dustry-2018-12

This week, a plant that's nearly identical to marijuana is set to become legal to grow in the US.

Thanks to the US Farm Bill, which the House passed on Wednesday in a 369 to 47 vote, American farmers will be able to plant and harvest hemp, a strain of the same plant species from which marijuana originates. The bill passed the Senate Tuesday in an 87 to 13 vote, and President Donald Trump has indicated his support.

Hemp legalization has been a longtime goal of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican from Kentucky, who believes it can help replace tobacco as a key crop for his state's farmers.

The move alters the language of a major drug law that had previously remained unchanged for half a century and loosely defined hemp alongside marijuana as a controlled substance. The new bill exempts hemp from that law and defines it as an agricultural product. That means farmers and researchers of hemp now get some of the same benefits as farmers and researchers of other crops, like the ability to apply for insurance and federal grants.

“The era of hemp prohibition is over,” Jonathan Miller, legal counsel for a lobbying coalition of over 60 hemp companies called the US Hemp Roundtable, told Business Insider.

That's a key change for scientists, many of whom say previous drug laws deterred them from studying hemp because it was regulated like marijuana.

The bill may also boost interest in a nascent but booming $1 billion industry based on a component of the cannabis plant called CBD, which has been touted for a variety of health and wellness claims. CBD is popping up in more and more products, from coffee and tea to supplements and beer.

But because CBD can be sourced from both marijuana and hemp plants, its legal status, set by the Drug Enforcement Administration, remains somewhat hazy. CBD from marijuana, just like marijuana as a whole, remains illegal. But now that hemp is legal, CBD from hemp may be legal, too.

“The devil is in the details, and we don't know yet how the DEA will act to implement the law,” Daniele Piomelli, the director of the University of California at Irvine Center for the Study of Cannabis and a professor of neuroscience and pharmacology, told Business Insider.

The DEA, which controls the scheduling of substances, has not said how it will respond to the new bill. As it stands, so long as a CBD product is “intended for human consumption,” it remains a Schedule 1 drug, DEA spokesperson Katherine Pfaff told Business Insider on Tuesday. She said she couldn't comment on how the bill might affect the DEA's approach.

The difference between hemp and marijuana comes down to one word: strain

Marijuana and hemp come from the same plant species, called cannabis sativa. Both contain THC and CBD. But each plant is its own unique strain of cannabis.

Until recently, hemp was bred almost entirely for industrial uses like manufacturing. As a result, hemp plants today have very low amounts of THC, the psychoactive chemical responsible formarijuana's high. Instead, hemp plants are often higher in CBD, or cannabidiol, which is also found in marijuana. CBD is now thought to be responsible for several of cannabis' therapeutic effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This was about the only good news about the giant voting buying slush fund piece of $#@! farm bill.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    This was about the only good news about the giant voting buying slush fund piece of $#@! farm bill.
    I'm sure the fact that the hemp rider was attached to a thousand pages of pork was the only thing that got it this far.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I'm sure the fact that the hemp rider was attached to a thousand pages of pork was the only thing that got it this far.
    Three cheers for Congressional laziness

Some strains of hemp are virtually impossible to visually differentiate from cannabis.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Some strains of hemp are virtually impossible to visually differentiate from cannabis.
    I'm sure the founders couldn't tell the difference when it was growing wild on the banks of the Potomac.

What are the worst parts of the farm bill?

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Dozens of billions in subsides to farmers (in Iowa, who vote)..

Continuation of the foodstamp program (nationwide vote-buying)..

Take your pick.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

^^I think her pleasure is rather more pharmaceutical grade

I'm sure the founders couldn't tell the difference when it was growing wild on the banks of the Potomac.
    George Washington set a tax on all people who would not grow hemp because it was considered so valuable.

It was Big Corps that got .gov to make it illegal because it makes better oil & stronger steel- never had anything to do with the stupid drug stuff.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    George Washington set a tax on all people who would not grow hemp because it was considered so valuable.

It was Big Corps that got .gov to make it illegal because it makes better oil & stronger steel- never had anything to do with the stupid drug stuff.
    IIRC, the first head of this enterprise (before the DEA) was a timber baron (hemp being a major threat to wood pulp: for paper, etc).

IIRC, the first head of this enterprise (before the DEA) was a timber baron (hemp being a major threat to wood pulp: for paper, etc).

Yeah- hemp is better than wood paper, cotton, etc. Most great paintings that have lasted for centuries were painted on hemp canvas. The Constitution is on hemp, ship sails were made from hemp.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Dozens of billions in subsides to farmers (in Iowa, who vote)..
    Continuation of the foodstamp program (nationwide vote-buying)..
    Take your pick.
    You think those parts are worse than this part?
    The bill only narrowly advanced in the House, 206-203, after language was tucked into the procedural rule preventing for the rest of the year a floor vote on any war powers resolution limiting the U.S. involvement in Yemen.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Republicans weren't going to take it up anyway. More chance after the Dems have the majority. The non-interventionist Reps, if there are any left, can cross the aisle for that.

My larger concern is the tariff subsidies to farmers.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Yeah- hemp is better than wood paper, cotton, etc. Most great paintings that have lasted for centuries were painted on hemp canvas. The Constitution is on hemp, ship sails were made from hemp.
    Got an old jean jacket made of hemp... comfortable... very durable.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Incorrect. Early drafts of the constitution were written on hemp, but the final versions were all written on parchment (animal skin).

That means farmers and researchers of hemp now get some of the same benefits as farmers and researchers of other crops, like the ability to apply for insurance and federal grants.
    Yippee?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And for those who missed the thread on this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...erica-First%92
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Never let my criticism of some monstrous act of the state lead you to believe that I don't think it can get worse.

I can always get worse; and it usually does.