View Poll Results: What effect will the Cohen conviction have on Trump?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No fallout

10 66.67%
  • Trump is impeached but not convicted

3 20.00%
  • Trump is impeached and convicted

0 0%
  • Trump resigns

2 13.33%

Thread: What will be the fallout from the Cohen conviction?

Exclamation What will be the fallout from the Cohen conviction?

Now that there seems to be clear evidence of some sort campaign finance crime having been committed, seemingly at Trump's direction, what will the fallout be?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-13-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

None
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

The whole Mueller investigation has always struck me as a Richard Nixon redux, the difference being that when Nixon was Watergated by TPTB for going too far off the reservation nobody in the "liberty movement" was foolish enough to claim that it happened because old Tricky Dick was secretly working to advance the cause of liberty or stick up for the "little guy."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    The whole Mueller investigation has always struck me as a Richard Nixon redux, the difference being that when Nixon was Watergated by TPTB for going too far off the reservation nobody in the "liberty movement" was foolish enough to claim that it happened because old Tricky Dick was secretly working to advance the cause of liberty or stick up for the "little guy."
    To be fair, Nixon created EPA.

Trump is trying to roll back EPA.

As an example.

But I think he'll resign before 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Now that there seems to be clear evidence of some sort campaign finance crime having been committed, seemingly at Trump's direction, what will the fallout be?
    I see no reason to believe it was made explicitly at Trumps direction or is even a crime. If anything, I would assume Trump had a "just handle it, don't tell me about it" deal with Cohen. Do you think Benton did his thing in IA at Ron Pauls direction?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I see no reason to believe it was made explicitly at Trumps direction or is even a crime. If anything, I would assume Trump had a "just handle it, don't tell me about it" deal with Cohen. Do you think Benton did his thing in IA at Ron Pauls direction?
    I have no idea what may have transpired between Trump and Cohen.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently.

But the fact is that government can convict a ham sandwich given enough time and resources, so it seems they have reached that point, and I'm wondering what the fallout will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have no idea what may have transpired between Trump and Cohen.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently.

But the fact is that government can convict a ham sandwich given enough time and resources, so it seems they have reached that point, and I'm wondering what the fallout will be.
    They couldn't convict John Edwards of a similar charge, and he actually used campaign contributions to do so. Protecting your image is not a campaign expenditure, not even when you are using campaign money.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I voted for none . Not sure they can prove anything illegal and I can only speculate but if there should be no chance the dem leadership wants trump to resign . The dems would have to then put whatever retard commie candidate they get up against a very polished , professional and presidential Pence and I think they would rather run against crackpot trump .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I voted for none . Not sure they can prove anything illegal and I can only speculate but if there should be no chance the dem leadership wants trump to resign . The dems would have to then put whatever retard commie candidate they get up against a very polished , professional and presidential Pence and I think they would rather run against crackpot trump .

and then there's that... besides, I'm not so sure his ego would allow a show of resignation.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

He probably won't run for a second term. Hope Rand can start name dropping himself 25 hours a day 8 days a week. If he waits until primary season to start campaigning for 2020 it will be too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

The lunatics will try to impeach him for a non-crime but it won't work and he will run and win in 2020.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nothing but more political theater, but at least it looks like gridlock for two years. Silver linings and things of that nature.

Trump will not be impeached, convicted, or resign. He will continue to be president for 6 more years.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No fallout

Trump is impeached but not convicted

Trump is impeached and convicted

Trump resigns
    None of the above

The House Dems could impeach him next year, of course, but they won't if they have any political sense.

For several years, nothing happens.

But all of this is going to end up in a prosecution after Trump leaves office.

That's the risk you take running for office as a low-level organized crime figure.

Trump reminds me a bit of the Teflon Don, who was ultimately undone for having the hubris to make himself too public.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hopefully fears are exaggerated and democracy will be allowed to continue its course bypassing the swamp lands.

But risks are increasing & GOP-Adelson wing's future is starting to look bit bleak. Respected neoconservative and Democrats funding billionaire turned MAGA top funder Adelson is probably not kicking himslef yet for investing so much money in MAGA's election. But if his term is cut short and net return for Adelson investment is only US embassy move in Israel and MAGA's couple of half-hearted bombing strikes in Syria, were all those millions of dollars spent on MAGA's election worth it for Sheldon "US should drop Atom Bomb on Iran" Adelson?

"The Michael Cohen Bribery Scandal Is Now a Trump Bribery Scandal"

Trump Inauguration Spending Under Criminal Investigation by Federal Prosecutors
    Probe looking into whether committee misspent funds and top donors gave money in exchange for access to the administration

Dec. 13, 2018 4:27 p.m. ET
    Federal prosecutors in Manhattan are investigating whether President Trump’s 2017 inaugural committee misspent some of the record $107 million it raised from donations, people familiar with the matter said.
    The criminal probe by the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office, which is in its early stages, also is examining whether some of the committee’s top donors gave money in exchange for access to the incoming Trump administration, policy concessions or to influence official administration positions, some of the people said.
    Giving money in exchange for political favors could run afoul of federal corruption laws. Diverting funds from the organization, which was registered as a nonprofit, could also violate federal law.
    In April raids of Mr. Cohen’s home, office and hotel room, Federal Bureau of Investigation agents obtained a recorded conversation between Mr. Cohen and Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, a former adviser to Melania Trump, who worked on the inaugural events. In the recording, Ms. Wolkoff expressed concern about how the inaugural committee was spending money, according to a person familiar with the Cohen investigation.