Thread: Will Rand address the Republican form of government clause?

Will Rand address the Republican form of government clause?

Next time @Bryan has a Q&A session with Rand I would like him to ask what would Rand see as the requirement to hold hearings into whether California and/or other lawless liberal states still have a Republican form of government as is required by the Constitution.

A4S4:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government

Definition of republic

1a(1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president
    (2) : a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government

b(1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law
    (2) : a political unit (such as a nation) having such a form of government

More at: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republic

If elections are compromised sufficiently or if the rule of law is openly defied the state no longer has a Republican form of government and the feds are obligated to restore one.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-12-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Ignoring the two major national parties doesn't result in representatives not being elected by the people. And California puts more stuff up to a direct popular vote than most states.

Yes, California is descending into mob rule. But in mob rule, bad as it is, power does reside in the citizenry.

Why do you always call for the federal government to step in whenever something you don't like happens in a state? Hasn't federal micromismanagement done enough harm? If California mob rule is ruining your life, move off the Left Coast. Then maybe you can have a reasonable perspective on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOL

Ignoring the two major national parties doesn't result in representatives not being elected by the people. And California puts more stuff up to a direct popular vote than most states.

Yes, California is descending into mob rule. But in mob rule, bad as it is, power does reside in the citizenry.

Why do you always call for the federal government to step in whenever something you don't like happens in a state? Hasn't federal micromismanagement done enough harm? If California mob rule is ruining your life, move off the Left Coast. Then maybe you can have a reasonable perspective on it.
    The rule of law is breaking down in liberal states and jurisdiction across the country with totally politicized law enforcement and court rulings and California has legalized voter fraud with its ballot harvesting law.
    Other states electoral processes are almost as corrupt.

The founders put that clause in the Constitution for a reason and we are getting to the point where it may be needed.

I would like to know what it would take to see it invoked.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I agree @Brian...please forward Swordsmyth's question to Rand if possible.

However I disagree on using that definition of Republic.

The defining feature of our Republic is that we are NOT a democracy; specifically, we have a Bill of Rights. And under no circumstances can these rights be violated by the tyranny of the majority (i.e. the 51%).

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I agree @Brian...please forward Swordsmyth's question to Rand if possible.

However I disagree on using that definition of Republic.

The defining feature of our Republic is that we are NOT a democracy; specifically, we have a Bill of Rights. And under no circumstances can these rights be violated by the tyranny of the majority (i.e. the 51%).
    The Constitution is the supreme law of the land including the Bill of Rights, if it is not being followed then the government is not governing according to law and is therefore not Republican in nature.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If legalized ballot harvesting fraud isn't enough what about this:

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    This is the best part:

But they add that under the regulators’ proposal the charge could be applied retroactively for five years — which they call “an alarming precedent” — and could amount to a bill of more than $220 million for California consumers.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/...ext-messaging/

LOL, democrats are $#@!ing insane.
    An ex post facto tax?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOL

California puts more stuff up to a direct popular vote than most states.

Ballot initiatives are not a republican form of government, they're mob rule democracy in action. You've proved that Cali does not have a republican form of government. They're violating their contract of statehood, aka the US Constitution.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Ballot initiatives are not a republican form of government, they're mob rule democracy in action. You've proved that Cali does not have a republican form of government. They're violating their contract of statehood, aka the US Constitution.
    But one definition of a republic is a representative democracy. So good luck with that.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An ex post facto tax?
    NJ is now engaged in ex post facto "takings" without compensation, by banning previously legal items and demanding their destruction without compensation.

But we all know what the answer to your questions is:

"It depends".

Wholesale violations of the rights of gun owners, property owners, legal citizens and the ever $#@!ed taxpayers...no one cares, and no one gives a $#@! about what form of government a state has, the uni-party Bolsheviks in California prove that.

Want the fedgov to perk up and take interest in the state government?

Try re-segregating the public schools.