Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Person of the Year: THE GUARDIANS AND THE WAR ON TRUTH

Time Person of the Year: THE GUARDIANS AND THE WAR ON TRUTH

http://time.com/person-of-the-year-2018-the-guardians/

There is an excellent though long article to go along with it.

The stout man with the gray goatee and the gentle demeanor dared to disagree with his country’s government. He told the world the truth about its brutality toward those who would speak out. And he was murdered for it.

Every detail of Jamal Khashoggi’s killing made it a sensation: the time stamp on the surveillance video that captured the Saudi journalist entering his country’s Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2; the taxiway images of the private jets bearing his assassins; the bone saw; the reports of his final words, “I can’t breathe,” recorded on audio as the life was choked from him.

But the crime would not have remained atop the world news for two months if not for the epic themes that Khashoggi himself was ever alert to, and spent his life placing before the public. His death laid bare the true nature of a smiling prince, the utter absence of morality in the Saudi-U.S. alliance and—in the cascade of news feeds and alerts, posts and shares and links—the centrality of the question Khashoggi was killed over: Whom do you trust to tell the story?

Khashoggi put his faith in bearing witness. He put it in the field reporting he had done since youth, in the newspaper editorship he was forced out of and in the columns he wrote from lonely exile. “Must we choose,” he asked in the Washington Post in May, “between movie theaters and our rights as citizens to speak out, whether in support of or critical of our government’s actions?” Khashoggi had fled his homeland last year even though he actually supported much of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s agenda in Saudi Arabia. What irked the kingdom and marked the journalist for death was Khashoggi’s insistence on coming to that conclusion on his own, tempering it with troubling facts and trusting the public to think for itself.

Such independence is no small thing. It marks the distinction between tyranny and democracy. And in a world where budding authoritarians have advanced by blurring the difference, there was a clarity in the spectacle of a tyrant’s fury visited upon a man armed only with a pen. Because the strongmen of the world only look strong. All despots live in fear of their people. To see genuine strength, look to the spaces where individuals dare to describe what’s going on in front of them.

In the Philippines, a 55-year-old woman named Maria Ressa steers Rappler, an online news site she helped found, through a superstorm of the two most formidable forces in the information universe: social media and a populist President with authoritarian inclinations. Rappler has chronicled the violent drug war and extrajudicial killings of President Rodrigo Duterte that have left some 12,000 people dead, according to a January estimate from Human Rights Watch. The Duterte government refuses to accredit a Rappler journalist to cover it, and in November charged the site with tax fraud, allegations that could send Ressa to prison for up to 10 years.

In Annapolis, Md., staff of the Capital, a newspaper published by Capital Gazette Communications, which traces its history of telling readers about the events in Maryland to before the American Revolution, press on without the five colleagues gunned down in their newsroom on June 28. Still intact, indeed strengthened after the mass shooting, are the bonds of trust and community that for national news outlets have been eroded on strikingly partisan lines, never more than this year.

And in prison in Myanmar, two young Reuters reporters remain separated from their wives and children, serving a sentence for defying the ethnic divisions that rend that country. For documenting the deaths of 10 minority Rohingya Muslims, Kyaw Soe Oo and Wa Lone got seven years. The killers they exposed were sentenced to 10.

This year brought no shortage of other examples. Bangladeshi photographer Shahidul Alam was jailed for more than 100 days for making “false” and “provocative” statements after criticizing Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in an interview about mass protests in Dhaka. In Sudan, freelance journalist Amal Habani was arrested while covering economic protests, detained for 34 days and beaten with electric rods. In Brazil, reporter Patricia Campos Mello was targeted with threats after reporting that supporters of President-elect Jair Bolsonaro had funded a campaign to spread false news stories on WhatsApp. And Victor Mallet, Asia news editor for the Financial Times, was forced out of Hong Kong after inviting an activist to speak at a press club event against the wishes of the Chinese government. Worldwide, a record number of journalists—262 in total—were imprisoned in 2017, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists, which expects the total to be high again this year.

This ought to be a time when democracy leaps forward, an informed citizenry being essential to self-government. Instead, it’s in retreat. Three decades after the Cold War defeat of a blunt and crude autocracy, a more clever brand takes nourishment from the murk that surrounds us. The old-school despot embraced censorship. The modern despot, finding that more difficult, foments mistrust of credible fact, thrives on the confusion loosed by social media and fashions the illusion of legitimacy from supplicants.

Modern misinformation, says David Patrikarakos, author of the book War in 140 Characters, titled after the original maximum length of a Twitter post, “does not function like traditional propaganda. It tries to muddy the waters. It tries to sow as much confusion and as much misinformation as possible, so that when people see the truth, they find it harder to recognize.”

The story of this assault on truth is, somewhat paradoxically, one of the hardest to tell. “We all learned in our schools that journalists shouldn’t be the story ourselves, but this is, again, not our choice,” says Can Dündar, who, after being charged with revealing state secrets and nearly assassinated as a newspaper editor in Turkey, fled to Germany, where he set up a news site. “This is the world of the strong leaders who hate the free press and truth.”

That world is led, in some ways, by a U.S. President whose embrace of despots and attacks on the press has set a troubling tone. “I think the biggest problem that we face right now is that the beacon of democracy, the one that stood up for both human rights and press freedom—the United States—now is very confused,” says Ressa, the Rappler editor. “What are the values of the United States?”

The question no longer seems strange, for the same reason a close look at where we get our news no longer sounds like civics-class homework. In normal times, the U.S. news media is so much a part of public life that, like air, it’s almost impossible to make it out. But it has been made conspicuous—by the attacks and routine falsehoods of the President, by social-media behemoths that distribute news but do not produce it and by the emerging reality of what’s at stake.

Efforts to undermine factual truth, and those who honestly seek it out, call into doubt the functioning of democracy. Freedom of speech, after all, was purposefully placed first in the Bill of Rights.

In 2018, journalists took note of what people said, and of what people did. When those two things differed, they took note of that too. The year brought no great change in what they do or how they do it. What changed was how much it matters.
    lots more at link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yawn. Let me know when Snowden or Assange gets the crown.

All I see is them celebrating themselves. Pretty sure they are more "truthiness" than actual truth. But whatever. Yay them. Congrats, and all those polite things.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately in the U.S. we don't have a useful, honest and free press. Instead we have professional propaganda companies, lead by the biggest names and biggest brands, masquerading as journalists while working for the state.

Any nonsense about the media companies being protectors of truth is exactly that... nonsense.

The large "press" companies are corrupt and the few publishers of truth that exist are enemies of the state. (See Julian Assange)

I can't think of one group of self-serving, self-deluded, self-described heroes that deserve more ridicule than the modern American "journalist".
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Oh, and let's not fail to notice that despite experiencing the horrors of government power far more up close and personal than most of us ever will, they clamor for more.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The real journalists in this country are either dead, imprisoned or driven underground.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to angelatc again.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    My first thought was, "Oh, yeah? Well, I wonder what they have to say about Julian Assange ..."

And the answer is: absolutely nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Not even in passing.

According to the Firefox search function, Assange is never referred to in the article.

I used a browser search instead of reading the article because I am not about to waste a single moment of my time wading through a load of self-serving dreck - not if Julian Assange is going to be turned into an "unperson" by the self-appointed designators of who is or is not a "Guardian" of "Truth".

To paraphrase Tom Woods, writing an article about "The Guardians and the War on Truth" and not putting Julian Assange front-and-center is like holding an anti-Joker convention and not inviting Batman ...

All I see is them celebrating themselves.
    Self-important masturbators gonna masturbate self-importantly.

What a sick joke.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Congrats, and all those polite things.
    Not many minorities represented in that photo, seems racist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

All I see is them celebrating themselves. Pretty sure they are more "truthiness" than actual truth. But whatever. Yay them. Congrats, and all those polite things.
    No kidding....

The "self licking Ice cream cone" can never give Snowden and Assange the crown when they exposed "real" crimes done at home.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Yeah, not much to choose from outta that line up.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Whens the last time the Person of the Year was actually someone that deserved it?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Assange not even mentioned, this is why we say FAKE NEWS is the enemy of the people.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Assange not even mentioned, this is why we say FAKE NEWS is the enemy of the people.
    Is Assange a reporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is Assange a reporter?
    Yes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes.
    What newspaper or TV station does he work for? Link to articles he has written?

It was not about sources or leakers but reporters.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Read wikileaks.

It is full of things he has reported to the world.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

who gives a rats ass if he "writes" for any TV station or Newspaper. He presents more evidence and news than most of them combined.

Journalism is the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Is Assange a reporter?
    As Todd pointed out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Journalism is the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information.

That's from the American Press Institute: https://www.americanpressinstitute.o...is-journalism/

If Julian Assange is not a journalist then the word has no meaning.

What newspaper or TV station does he work for?
    Riiiiiiiiiight ... because if you're not employed by some corporate media entity (such as Time magazine), then you're obviously not qualified to be considered a "Guardian" of "Truth" ...

Time's attempt to confine "journalism" to the ambit of corporate media only emphasizes the narcissistically masturbatory nature of this year's "Person of the Year".

I repeat: presenting a group of people as "Person[s] of the Year" under the theme of "The Guardians and the War on Truth" without ever mentioning Julian Assange (not even in passing) is like discussing what to do about the Joker without ever mentioning Batman. There is just no way that an omission like that can have been anything but considered and deliberate ...

Link to articles he has written?
    Riiiiiiiiiight (again)... because if you don't provide the information you "report" embedded in an "article" (i.e., a narrative framing how people are to interpret what is being "reported"), then you're obviously not qualified to be considered a "reporter" ...

It was not about sources or leakers but reporters.
    *sigh* Julian Assange is neither a "source" nor a "leaker". He is a reporter of information supplied by "sources" and "leakers" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-16-2018 at 05:45 AM.

who gives a rats ass if he "writes" for any TV station or Newspaper. He presents more evidence and news than most of them combined.
    Time did. It was their choice (not mine) to focus on reporters.

And Assange IS a reporter.

You are attempting to defend their deliberate snub of the most important "Guardian of Truth" who is being persecuted for reporting the truth.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Does anyone else find it hilariously ironic that ZippyJuan claims to be a "Supporting Member" in his RPF avatar, but is posting all about "truth?"

Zippyjuan

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

who gives a rats ass if he "writes" for any TV station or Newspaper.
    And Assange IS a reporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Time's attempt to confine "journalism" to the ambit of corporate media only emphasizes the narcissistically masturbatory nature of this year's "Person of the Year".
    //
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Julian Assange ain't bona fide

I wonder if Claas Relotius is a "Guardian" of "Truth".

He certainly meets the minimum requirements.

After all, Relotius is a bona fide "reporter" who wrote "articles" for a corporate media entity ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFi-xI8nDk

Penny (Momma) = Time magazine

the Wharvey girls = Zippyjuan
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-26-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Whens the last time the Person of the Year was actually someone that deserved it?
    Are you saying those presstitutes don't deserve to get the same award previously bestowed on both Stalin and Hitler?
    We believe our lying eyes...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

^^^this^^^

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Oh, and let's not fail to notice that despite experiencing the horrors of government power far more up close and personal than most of us ever will, they clamor for more.
    ^^^and this^^^

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Seems they only worry about "truth" when its there own that start dying.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Guardians of the Master Narrative

So anyway, it turns out that the "truth" (for which Time is pleased to designate some people - but not others, such as Julian Assange - as officially approved "guardians") is actually just propaganda for Time's preferred "master narrative" ... (I know, I know - big surprise, right?)

From one of the horses' mouths (see thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ntrol-the-news):

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    By this standard, Julian Assange is most assuredly not a "Guardian of Truth the Master Narrative" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-23-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Glenn Greenwald - Project Veritas, Assange, and the Authoritarian Decree of Who Is a "Real Journalist"
    https://rumble.com/vp9ozz-project-ve...d-is-not-.html

Glenn Greenwald: With this latest FBI targeting of James O'Keefe -- condemned by @ACLU, @FreedomofPress, @pressfreedom and others -- we're seeing the emergence of the authoritarian tactic used to attack press freedom: decreeing who is and is not a "real journalist." They did this to Assange, too:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast