Thread: Wal-Mart is testing a robot fry cook named "Flippy" at its Delis.

Wal-Mart is testing a robot fry cook named "Flippy" at its Delis.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/excl...155655650.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
    Flippy is the world’s first autonomous robotic kitchen assistant powered by artificial intelligence from Miso Robotics, a two-year-old startup. The robot made headlines a year ago debuting as the burger-flipping robot at a CaliBurger franchise in Pasadena.

More recently, Flippy got a gig at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles with vending food service company Levy Restaurants, part of Compass Group, to fry up chicken tenders and tater tots. Through the World Series, Flippy churned out 17,000 pounds worth of the fried foods. It’s able to fry up to eight baskets of food simultaneously.
    The way it works is Flippy automates the frying process for many of the items served in the deli, including chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks, and potato wedges.

In practice, a Walmart associate would place a frozen product on the rack. Using visual recognition technology, Flippy identifies the food in the basket and sets it in the cooking oil. The machine then “agitates” the basket by shaking it to make sure the product cooks evenly. When the food is finished cooking, Flippy moves the basket to the drip rack. An associate then tests the food’s internal temperature. A few minutes later, the associate can season the food before it hits the hot display case.
    The robot is supposed to serve as an “extra set of hands,” letting the associate spend less time putting potato wedges and chicken tenders in fryers and more time on other services like taking customer orders and prepping other foods.
    It’s also a way to create a consistent product every time and also help ensure food safety and minimize food waste.

More details here.
    Last edited by uncharted; 12-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I, for one, welcome our new burger-flipping overlords.

Just another excuse @Anti Federalist will use to pick something up on his way home from work at the deli for Donnay and ogle at the POW.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Pretty soon, they will be flying airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Pretty soon, they will be flying airplanes.

...And calling people Shirley.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I, for one, welcome our new burger-flipping overlords.

They always give them cutesy little names like "Flippy" to disarm us and make the robots seem harmless. But when "Flippy" starts grabbing people by the throat and shoving them down into the fryer, we'll see what's what. Skynet is here.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    They always give them cutesy little names like "Flippy" to disarm us and make the robots seem harmless. But when "Flippy" starts grabbing people by the throat and shoving them down into the fryer, we'll see what's what. Skynet is here.
    I don't think Flippy could lift the POW.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Always great to see productivity gains make their way to even places like this.

Automation is hugely overhyped, as is "AI" (because statistical correlation for determining what is what for a fixed set of food types is so intelligent....), right now, but it is making some legitimate inroads.

At the grocery store I go to, they have a new gadget that allows the shopper to scan and charge an item as they shop. They entice you to give it a try by giving you a 5% discount and a reusable bag when u try it for the first time. I tried it once and I never went back to it, a lot of these human replacement scheme are years and years away from being widely implemented. They are usually very inconvenient and buggy as hell.