Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is now possible to buy a brand-new 1966-77 Ford Bronco

It is now possible to buy a brand-new 1966-77 Ford Bronco

For anyone who loves the original Ford Bronco, we have some fantastic news for you. Gateway Broncos and Ford have just reached a licensing agreement that allows Gateway to build limited numbers of 1966-77 Broncos. This isn't just some cheesy take on the original Bronco either. Gateway is building these trucks with Ford's blessing, and they come with up to a five-year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Gateway was started by Seth Burgett in 2016 as a Bronco restoration company, but it's quickly grown into something much more than that. We've seen recreations like the Icon Bronco, but nobody has this kind of an agreement with Ford to remake the vehicle. These new trucks from Gateway won't just be restored, but rather, they're going to be crafted with new metal all around. If you want, Gateway will build you an entirely new body and frame. That's right, no donor car or scrapping necessary. Every last bit of the vehicle can be brand new, just as Ford intended when they rolled into the world in 1966. However, the option of restoring an existing vehicle or putting a new body onto a vintage frame remains.

To begin, Gateway will offer three models of the Bronco it calls the Fuelie, Coyote Edition and Modern Day Warrior. These range in price from $120,000-$180,000. Gateway is improving upon original Broncos with new technology, in addition to making them appear original. The Coyote Edition gets a Ford 5.0-liter V8 predictably, as does the Modern Day Warrior model. The Fuelie makes do with a 347 Stroker. Four-wheel disc brakes from Willwood are included to make stopping the now-faster truck less stressful. Noise and vibration reductions are engineered into the new vehicle too.

One could draw comparisons with Singer 911s, but these guys are even different from them. Gateway is literally adding first-generation Broncos to the road, and not just bringing back to life what has already existed for half a century. The caveat with this one is the new technology being put into them. There's certainly something to be said for making it exactly the way it was from the factory, but the power and reliability of new engines is tough to argue with.

With the new Bronco(s) on their way, excitement around the model name is building to a fevered pitch. If the new one isn't exactly your cup of tea when it's eventually revealed, options abound. That is, if you have the princely sums of cash Gateway Broncos is asking — the company says it expects to build four vehicles per month in 2019.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/07/...021&yptr=yahoo
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is possible to get many..

Aftermarket companies are producing NEW Bodies, for older vehicles..
    Build it brand new from the ground up and make such improvement as seem good to you.

and there are several shops that will build one for you.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

A bit pricey for me.
    "The Patriarch"

A roll of wrenches probably won't get you home when one of these 'puter marvels brakes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    A bit pricey for me.
    Me too.. But,, Comparing the cost of a New car,, the headaches of a used car.. Payments over time..
    http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/home.html
    and it starts looking better.
    One car built to last a lifetime,,, rather than the disposables they have been making.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The partnership with Ford actually ruins the whole thing, as understandably Ford is making them buy all-new EFI engines, computers, wiring, etc.

This is part of the reason why things like what @pcosmar is talking about are way better... if you buy parts and "assemble it yourself" like what Factory Five or other companies do, you can drop in a carburated engine and/or do other things which would never, ever pass muster if a company tried to sell them to you "new."

(Side note, holy crap, my browser's dictionary doesn't have 'carburated' in it; suggests 'carbonated' as a replacement.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Mustangs too...

The Cost of a Time Machine

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018...-time-machine/

By eric - December 11, 20187437

The good news first.

You can legally buy a brand-new car without a single air bag or any of the saaaaaaaaafety equipment mandated by the government since the late 1960s.

No back-up camera, ABS, TCS or black box data recorder.

Not even a seat belt buzzer.

A car you can see out of, too – that doesn’t need a back-up camera. Doesn’t try to parent you – and never nags you.

Even better news, these cars are brand-new 1960s Mustangs. Not restored originals, but brand-new cars – built using all new Ford-licensed sheetmetal and put together to a standard that wasn’t possible in the ‘60s.

Panel fitment is exacting; the doors close as tightly as a new Camry’s. These new Mustangs do not squeak or leak. Trim is not misaligned. The paintwork is perfect; no orange peel or drips – a common “feature’ that came standard with many 1960s-era cars.

No points to set or carbs to jet, either.

While the bodywork is virtually identical to the originals, including the absence of ugly federal 5 MPH bumpers – and the presence of beautifully chromed pre-Uncle bumpers – these doppelganger Mustangs are not powered by original 1960s engines.

They are powered by the same engines as the current (2018) Mustang GT – the one you do have to buy with eight air bags (driver and passenger, side-impact on both sides, curtain air bags and knee bags, too) plus all the rest of it.

But that’s ok.

As sweet as the old 289 Hi-Po was that powered the ’66 GT, it only made 271 horsepower and a ’66 GT needed about 7 seconds to get to 60 . . . right there with a new four cylinder Camry.

The new ’66 GT (hardtop, fastback or convertible) is powered by the current Mustang GT’s 5.0 liter V8, which makes 460 horsepower. It gets the doppelganger to 60 in less than four seconds – quicker than the current GT – because the new ’66 is several hundred pounds lighter.

Because it’s not weighed down by all the government-mandated saaaaaaaafety stuff.

Plus, you can see where you’re going .

It also comes with your choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmission – both without burnout-interrupting traction control and with deep overdrive gearing, just like any modern car’s transmission – giving the time-teleported “1966” Mustangs the potential (if you can restrain yourself) to deliver highway mileage almost as good as a new four cylinder Camry.

Back in the ’60s, Mustangs came with four speed manuals or three-speed automatics, without overdrive gearing.

Despite being hundreds of pounds lighter than a new Camry, they used about twice as much gas a result.

The original Mustangs didn’t very stop well, either. These do. Four wheel disc brakes, with four piston calipers, standard. A high-performance brake package with 12.88 slotted/vented rotors and six-piston calipers is optional.

This “1966” Mustang stops as well as the 2018.

Corners, too. The entire suspension benefits from current technology – without the current naggery. Coil-over shocks/tubular A-arms, structural bracing, subframe connectors – the works.

But inside, it’s 1966. Wood-trimmed/spoked wheel – without an ugly air bag. The dash as it was.

And so, beautiful.

Low back’d buckets – outlawed in new cars. In this car, you can put your arm around your girl. And she can lean over and snuggle up against you, because she’s not forced to “buckle up.” Or at least, doesn’t have to in order to avoid triggering an obnoxious buzzer that kills the mood like your high school girlfriend’s parents turning on the porch light just as you tried for a kiss.

There are a few subtle modernizations – a hi-end (800 watt) audio rig, if you wish. Ferrari leather trim is available. High powered headlights that appear to be stock sealed-beam units – until you turn them on.

Standard power windows that look manual; they’re activated by the factory-stock-looking hand cranks.

But nothing force-fed by Uncle.

It’s everything a new car should be – or would have been, had the government not gotten into the business of designing cars.

And the bad news?

These new Mustangs cost about eight times what the originals did. $166,760 for a brand-new “1966” Mustang GT convertible – which originally cost $2,759 back in ’66 (equivalent to $21,940 in today’s money). Other models – such as the “1967” Shelby GT500 – sticker for more. A lot more.

$227,760.

Avoiding Uncle isn’t cheap.

The company that builds them – Revology Cars – builds them by hand, for openers. And to show-car level, for second. But the real reason for the high cost is the low volume.

Uncle only allows Revology (and other companies doing the same thing) to build 500 cars annually, each exempted from current saaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety standards (they meet current emissions regs).

No more.

Ford built 607,568 Mustangs back in 1966. That high volume allowed low prices; Ford only needed to make a few hundred bucks profit per car in order to make a lot of money on all those cars.

And that is why you could by a new ’66 GT Hi-Po for less than $3,000 . . . back in 1966.

A top-of-the-line model for thousands less than the cost in today’s equivalent dollars of the base trim 2019 Mustang ($26,120) and about $150,000 less than the cost of the new “1966” GT.

It’s wonderful that Uncle allows cars like those being made by Revology to be sold at all – but the volume restriction means these cars might as well not exist at all for most of us, who will never be able to afford them.

And where did Uncle acquire the authority to allow us to buy this car – but not that one?

It also raises some interesting questions – among them, why Uncle allows some people (those who can afford it) to opt out of all the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety mandates which apply to everyone else.

Is Uncle not “concerned” about the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety of those 500 people he allows to buy new (but sans air bag and all the rest of it) cars?

Or is it another example of Uncle using a pretext to deny the rest of us the liberty which is becoming something that, increasingly, only the rich can afford?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Mustangs too...

The Cost of a Time Machine

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018...-time-machine/

$227,760.
    I am pretty sure I can beat that price. For that price you would buy me the shop to build it in though.
    Found yards of trucks . Two ford stock piles. What Cashy money price range are you looking??,, and I have no idea of shipping cost these days. One place has some (Fleet?) Crew cabs..
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-11-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

As sweet as the old 289 Hi-Po was that powered the ’66 GT, it only made 271 horsepower and a ’66 GT needed about 7 seconds to get to 60 . . . right there with a new four cylinder Camry.
    Which would have still been blazing fast compared to the 1964.5 mustang my brother had with the itty bitty inline-6 engine. You could stand up on the gas pedal and sing the entire national anthem before that thing made it to 60mph. Looked pretty sweet though, learned to drive on that car.

No Ford Bronco for me.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

https://gas2.org/2018/05/31/this-800...r-and-quieter/
    “If we built an electric car that did 0-60 in five seconds and topped out at 80 mph, no one would care about it,” says Mitch. “Muscle cars are supposed to be about stoplight to stoplight performance, so we decided to build an electric supercar. Our Mustang runs 10.7 at 129 mph in the quarter-mile, and it also hits 60 mph in 2.4 seconds, compared to 3.2 seconds in a Lamborghini Huracán.”
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Safety mandated for all... you can buy out, but it'll cost ya.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I got myself a 90's Ford Bronco today; and this is how I feel:

Soon I'll finally ditch the $#@!ing honda and its annoying nanny seat belt chime.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 01-15-2020 at 05:08 PM.

bump for a pic of @specsaregood gorgeous Bronco.

best of luck with it.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-25-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Not a good vehicle anyhow. I'll pass.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    OK,,

https://www.corvettecentral.com/concept_57

I would love to stuff it full of battery,, and Electric Torque.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

And I’ll assume that when it’s only the electric vehicle, it’s very quiet.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And I’ll assume that when it’s only the electric vehicle, it’s very quiet.
    Still have road noise.. Tire squeal,, but the motor hums.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

bump for a pic of @specsaregood gorgeous Bronco.
    best of luck with it.
    Thanks, you know I had been looking at them for a couple years now. I took your recommendations when I went to check it out. Got a great deal on it because the tranny needed a rebuild; but selling point was that there is almost no rust on the frame and body. It had one previous owner who piddled around town and garaged it for close to 30 years; before his family sold it after he passed.

If they marketed an International Scout II as originally sold I would buy one in a heartbeat.

The photos of the upcoming 2021 bronco finally leaked:

4door full-size:

2door full-size:

The bronco sport (small size):

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    No Ford Bronco for me.
    I remember in the early 80's I transplanted down to the 'Frisco area for a year. The guy I was working for had a new one. One night we were out drinking and he got a bit too buzzed and told me to take it home and he would have his old lady come get him. I got in a bit of a (ahem) competition with a Jaguar on the on ramp on the way home, smoked it. We took that thing out into the hills all the time, great machine.

If you're talking about the price, there are a buttload of 80's and 90's Bronco's out there for cheap.
    "The Patriarch"

Uncle only allows Revology (and other companies doing the same thing) to build 500 cars annually, each exempted from current saaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety standards (they meet current emissions regs).
    Just outrageous.

They should be allowed to build 0 of these, if they don't follow modern safety standards.

I'm calling my congressmen first thing in the morning.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    As opposed to...?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Which would have still been blazing fast compared to the 1964.5 mustang my brother had with the itty bitty inline-6 engine. You could stand up on the gas pedal and sing the entire national anthem before that thing made it to 60mph. Looked pretty sweet though, learned to drive on that car.
    When I was a yoot an older friend of mine had a 68 with a six-3 speed. It wasn't a complete dog. maybe they upped the horsepower?

Or maybe he did, I don't know.
    "The Patriarch"

When I was a yoot an older friend of mine had a 68 with a six-3 speed. It wasn't a complete dog. maybe they upped the horsepower?

They did, the first gen my brother had only came with a 170cu inline 6. in '65, they upped the base model up to 200, by 68 IIRC most were coming with the 289. big difference.

The first gen Mustangs had Ford Falcon inline sixes.

The 170 CID that specs mentioned made only 77 HP IIRC

ETA - Checked it...it made 105 HP

Still not much
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-09-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

The first gen Mustangs had Ford Falcon inline sixes.

The 170 CID that specs mentioned made only 77 HP IIRC

ETA - Checked it...it made 105 HP

Still not much
    My brother got out of a speeding ticket by proving to the judge that it would have been impossible for him to get that mustang up to the speed the cop said he was going, giving the distance he had to reach that point from the previous stop sign. It was a dog. cool car though and learned a lot rebuilding it with my dad.

As opposed to...?
    Hummer for starters. Jeep.....Just about any SUV or or off road vehicle you can name. I'm talking about the 70's versions. There's a reason these vehicles died out.

I'll be very surprised if this new version of the Ford bronco makes a top 5 SUV. My consumer reports came last night so I'll check out the road and reliability tests this week and see.

But this is all my opinion. I will admit my standards for vehicles isn't just it's ruggedness and features. I expect the whole product to hold up in all areas.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast