Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 74

Thread: "Tariff Man" to the tune of Billy Joel's "Pianoman"

  1. #1

    "Tariff Man" to the tune of Billy Joel's "Pianoman"

    It’s nine o’clock on a Saturday

    Your iPhone is glowing and bright

    There’s an old man up in Washington


    Watching cable news into the night.

    He says, “Let’s make America Great Again!

    By slapping a tariff on steel—

    And aluminum bars and on Japanese cars

    Now, let’s make those foreigners kneel!”

    La la la, di da da


    La la, di da da da dum

    So jack up that tax, you’re a Tariff Man!

    Let’s make Americans pay

    For the right to buy stuff from those foreigners–

    We should make it here, anyway!

    We grow lots of sugar in Florida

    That we could’ve shipped from abroad

    If it’s world price times three, grow it domestically


    And make special interests applaud!

    And the tariffs raise prices everywhere

    And the jobs that they “save” cost a ton

    We’d be better off if we didn’t scoff

    At free trade, and just let things run!

    La la la, di da da

    La la, di da da da dum

    Now Paul is a real estate contractor


    He’d like to buy things for his wife

    But he canceled a deal because structural steel’s

    More expensive—it’s doubled in price!

    And the firms are all practicing politics

    As their businessmen fly to DC!

    Yes, they’re spreading a problem called poverty,

    And calling it prosperity!

    Jack up that tax, you’re a Tariff Man!


    Let’s make Americans pay

    For the right to buy stuff from those foreigners–

    We should make it here, anyway!

    These policies concentrate benefits

    And they spread costs to you and to me

    These costs are concealed, but see, they are still real—

    They are there, though they’re harder to see.

    Some goods are expensive that shouldn’t be


    Because tariffs have made them cost more!

    And we’d have more for bars, and put bread in their jars

    But we’re stopping goods at our shores!

    La la la, di da da

    La la, di da da da dum

    Jack up that tax, you’re a Tariff Man!

    Let’s make Americans pay

    For the right to buy stuff from those foreigners–


    We should make it here, anyway!

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcard.../#7d060b8c6375
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    We should make it here. Why do you suppose we don't?

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    We should make it here. Why do you suppose we don't?
    Easy. Because our resources are better spent on other things.

    Why don't you make your own hammers? Because it's less costly to you to buy them at the store. So, you can spend your time, wealth, and energy on other things of your own choosing. But if some busybody cronyist jacked up the price at the store, you'd have to either make your own, get 'em from sloppy Ned down the road who charges you more, or use a substitute. That may help Ned's business, but it screws you.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Easy. Because our resources are better spent on other things.

    Why don't you make your own hammers? Because it's less costly to you to buy them at the store. So, you can spend your time, wealth, and energy on other things of your own choosing. But if some busybody cronyist jacked up the price at the store, you'd have to either make your own, get 'em from sloppy Ned down the road who charges you more, or use a substitute. That may help Ned's business, but it screws you.
    Resources, better things? Sure for the welfare recipient cheap $#@! is a deal. No job, no worries. CaptUSA and phil4paul can use their resources for your Obamacare, Obamaphone, housing, food, and $99 500" TV. No thanks. I'd rather see more people working for a living.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Resources, better things? Sure for the welfare recipient cheap $#@! is a deal. No job, no worries. CaptUSA and phil4paul can use their resources for your Obamacare, Obamaphone, housing, food, and $99 500" TV. No thanks. I'd rather see more people working for a living.
    Seen vs. unseen. Never forget that.

    When you use your resources in other places, you are providing people with jobs. To continue the analogy, because you didn't have to craft your own hammers, you could spend that time and money on materials that you could turn into profit. Materials you would otherwise not have been able to buy. The people who harvest those materials are only employed because you bought a cheap hammer at the store.

    Or you could use your surplus for some food. And the people who supplied that food have jobs because of the cheaper hammer.

    Or you could understand that each small purchase allowed you to save up for a bathroom remodel. The contractor who does that work can only do it because you saved money on the hammer and other things.

    This is what we mean when we say that saved resources are spent on other things - you never know what they're going to be. Which is why it's unseen. You can easily see that Ned benefits from the cronyism, but you miss all the harm that is done because those future jobs are unseen and they don't have political weight.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Seen vs. unseen. Never forget that.

    When you use your resources in other places, you are providing people with jobs. To continue the analogy, because you didn't have to craft your own hammers, you could spend that time and money on materials that you could turn into profit. Materials you would otherwise not have been able to buy. The people who harvest those materials are only employed because you bought a cheap hammer at the store.

    Or you could use your surplus for some food. And the people who supplied that food have jobs because of the cheaper hammer.

    Or you could understand that each small purchase allowed you to save up for a bathroom remodel. The contractor who does that work can only do it because you saved money on the hammer and other things.

    This is what we mean when we say that saved resources are spent on other things - you never know what they're going to be. Which is why it's unseen. You can easily see that Ned benefits from the cronyism, but you miss all the harm that is done because those future jobs are unseen and they don't have political weight.
    I like using my resources is other places. Right here in the good ole USA. I know a fellow American has gainful employment and doesn't have to live on subsidies. I'm more than happy to buy that hammer from Detroit as opposed to Xinxangjong.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I like using my resources is other places. Right here in the good ole USA. I know a fellow American has gainful employment and doesn't have to live on subsidies. I'm more than happy to buy that hammer from Detroit as opposed to Xinxangjong.
    Well, great. That's a personal decision. As long as politicians aren't trying to force your decisions to help their friends, we're cool. We all make individual decisions like this. But you must understand that your decision means that the contractor, food supplier, or material harvester is missing out on your business because you chose the hammer maker over them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well, great. That's a personal decision. As long as politicians aren't trying to force your decisions to help their friends, we're cool. We all make individual decisions like this. But you must understand that your decision means that the contractor, food supplier, or material harvester is missing out on your business because you chose the hammer maker over them.
    Don't mind at all when politicians force other countries to make decisions regarding an unfair market to help Americans.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Don't mind at all when politicians force other countries to make decisions regarding an unfair market to help Americans.
    I'm a non-interventionist. Our politicians shouldn't be meddling in other countries at all. What their politicians do is on them - but I think we'd help those people more with our example than by trying to use our government to get their political leaders to do what we think is right. Remember, "Fair" trade is force; "Free" trade is liberty. The former brings poverty and the latter brings prosperity.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm a non-interventionist. Our politicians shouldn't be meddling in other countries at all. What their politicians do is on them - but I think we'd help those people more with our example than by trying to use our government to get their political leaders to do what we think is right. Remember, "Fair" trade is force; "Free" trade is liberty. The former brings poverty and the latter brings prosperity.
    That's well and good. It's a utopia. It doesn't exist. When another country subsidizes it's product to the detriment of industries and employment in ones own country it market needs to be shut off or the playing field leveled. If American companies, and workers making good wages, are making widjets for $9.99, and a foreign country subsidizes it's workers widgets to dump and sell at $1.99, it puts Americans out of work. How is that done? Place barriers such as tariffs to level the playing field and keep those countries from dumping.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm a non-interventionist. Our politicians shouldn't be meddling in other countries at all. What their politicians do is on them - but I think we'd help those people more with our example than by trying to use our government to get their political leaders to do what we think is right. Remember, "Fair" trade is force; "Free" trade is liberty. The former brings poverty and the latter brings prosperity.
    YES!
    There is no spoon.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That's well and good. It's a utopia. It doesn't exist. When another country subsidizes it's product to the detriment of industries and employment in ones own country it market needs to be shut off or the playing field leveled. If American companies, and workers making good wages, are making widjets for $9.99, and a foreign country subsidizes it's workers widgets to dump and sell at $1.99, it puts Americans out of work. How is that done? Place barriers such as tariffs to level the playing field and keep those countries from dumping.
    How about we just make our own stuff & not worry about what other countries are doing?
    There is no spoon.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That's well and good. It's a utopia. It doesn't exist. When another country subsidizes it's product to the detriment of industries and employment in ones own country it market needs to be shut off or the playing field leveled. If American companies, and workers making good wages, are making widjets for $9.99, and a foreign country subsidizes it's workers widgets to dump and sell at $1.99, it puts Americans out of work. How is that done? Place barriers such as tariffs to level the playing field and keep those countries from dumping.
    You're still missing the point. I'm trying to explain it to you, but it's like you have a mental block there. Please consider this for a little bit.

    If another county is subsidizing their products to sell to us cheap, yes, it hurts Ned the hammer maker and he may lose his good wage, but it benefits the contractor, the food supplier and the material harvester. We have MORE people working not less. (which, by the way is one of the reasons why with the trade deficit being the highest it's ever been, we have near full employment) The aggregate wealth of our country is INCREASED when they "dump" their products.

    You keep focusing on Ned without considering all the other industries that benefit. All the other jobs that are created because each one of us saved resources when we bought the hammer. By advocating for barriers to trade to help Ned, you are advocating for the loss of jobs in the contracting, food supplying, and material harvesting industries. Does that make more sense, stated that way?? Freedom is a good thing.

    “Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.” - Milton Friedman
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    You're still missing the point. I'm trying to explain it to you, but it's like you have a mental block there. Please consider this for a little bit.

    If another county is subsidizing their products to sell to us cheap, yes, it hurts Ned the hammer maker and he may lose his good wage, but it benefits the contractor, the food supplier and the material harvester. We have MORE people working not less. (which, by the way is one of the reasons why with the trade deficit being the highest it's ever been, we have near full employment) The aggregate wealth of our country is INCREASED when they "dump" their products.

    You keep focusing on Ned without considering all the other industries that benefit. All the other jobs that are created because each one of us saved resources when we bought the hammer. By advocating for barriers to trade to help Ned, you are advocating for the loss of jobs in the contracting, food supplying, and material harvesting industries. Does that make more sense, stated that way?? Freedom is a good thing.
    Exactly.

    And in REAL capitalism, Ned would just have to wise up & learn to make a better hammer.
    There is no spoon.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly.

    And in REAL capitalism, Ned would just have to wise up & learn to make a better hammer.

    Or diversify and make other things in addition to hammers.

    ETA: Or innovate in some other way to provide greater value to his customers and retain, or even increase, his market share and thus bottom line. But that would require some good old-fashioned American ingenuity, something in which our tariff fetishists seem to have very little faith. Apparently, they'd rather create more dependence on government by running to the nanny state for protection when things get tough, seemingly forgetting that it was that very nanny state that created the tough conditions in the first place.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 12-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Chris

    "Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

    "...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

  18. #16
    It's as though people think we have a trade imbalance with the grocery store because we give them money and they give us groceries. If they have a sale on laundry detergent, they are "dumping" their soap on us, and we're supposed to be mad about it. Only a politician could twist this around so much.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    It's as though people think we have a trade imbalance with the grocery store because we give them money and they give us groceries. If they have a sale on laundry detergent, they are "dumping" their soap on us, and we're supposed to be mad about it. Only a politician could twist this around so much.

    How dare they increase our wealth and standards of living by enabling us to do more with the same financial resources! The bastards!
    Chris

    "Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

    "...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    How about we just make our own stuff & not worry about what other countries are doing?
    "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  22. #19
    "Government Intervention In The Marketplace Is Good When It Is A Foreign Government"
    "Welfare Is Good When It Comes From A Foreign Government"
    "Being Dependent On Others For Your Needs Is Good When The Others Are Hostile Foreigners"
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    'Zactly.
    There is no spoon.

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    'Zactly.
    And they had TARIFFS as the primary form of federal taxation back then.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And they had TARIFFS as the primary form of federal taxation back then.
    Caused by the CONstitution- for bigger government.

    Tariffs Are Not the Answer
    By Ron Paul

    Ron Paul Institute

    March 13, 2018

    President Trump’s planned 25 percent tariff on steel imports and 10 percent tariff on aluminum imports may provide a temporary boost for those industries, but the tariffs will do tremendous long-term damage to the American and global economies. Tariffs raise the price of, and reduce demand for, imported goods. Tariffs ensure the preferences of politicians, instead of the preferences of consumers, determine how resources are allocated. This reduces economic efficiency and living standards.

    Some justify these economic inefficiencies as being worth it to save American jobs. This ignores how tariffs increase costs of production for industries reliant on imported materials to produce their products. These increased costs lead to job losses in those industries. For example, President Trump’s proposed steel tariff could cost nearly 40,000 jobs in the steel-dependent auto manufacturing industry. Tariffs also cause job losses in industries reliant on exports. This is especially true if — as is likely to be the case — other countries respond to President Trump’s actions by increasing tariffs on US products.

    Many of President Trump’s critics do not themselves support true free trade, which is the voluntary exchange of goods and services across borders. Instead, they support the managed (by government) trade of NAFTA and the World Trade Organization (WTO). NAFTA and the WTO promote world government and crony capitalism, not free markets. Any libertarian or free-market conservative who thinks the WTO promotes economic liberty should remember that the WTO once ordered Congress to raise taxes!

    Foreign manufacturers may make convenient scapegoats for the problems facing US industry. However, the truth is that most of the problems plaguing American businesses stem from the US government. American businesses are burdened by thousands of federal regulations controlling every aspect of their operations. The tax system also burdens businesses. Until last year’s tax reform bill, the US had the highest corporate tax rates in the developed word. The tax reform bill lowered corporate taxes, but the US corporate tax rate is still higher than that of many other developed countries.

    The United States not only spends more on “defense” than the combined budgets of the next eight biggest spending countries, but also spends billions subsidizing the defense of developed counties like Germany, Japan, and South Korea. Bringing US troops home from these countries is an excellent place to start reducing spending on militarism.

    The biggest cause of our economic problems is the Federal Reserve. America’s experiment with fiat currency has enabled a system based on private and public debt. This makes trade imbalances inevitable as the US government needs foreign investors to purchase its debt. Foreign investors get the money to purchase the US government’s debt by selling products to American consumers. A trade war could cause foreign investors to stop buying US debt instruments and could end the dollar’s world reserves currency status. This would cause a major economic crisis — but at least it would stop our shores from being flooded with “cheap foreign goods.”

    President Trump’s claim that trade wars can be easily won is as credible as the neoconservative claim that the Iraq War would be a cakewalk. A trade war would likely push the global economy into a recession or worse. Instead of imposing costs on American businesses and consumers and putting those whose livelihoods depend on imports out of s job, President Trump should address the real causes of our economic problems: the welfare-warfare state, the IRS, and the Federal Reserve.
    There is no spoon.

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Caused by the CONstitution- for bigger government.
    The states had their own tariffs BEFORE the Constitution because tariffs are the best form of taxation.

    Ron is wrong about this and it has been explained many times over.

    "Government Intervention In The Marketplace Is Good When It Is A Foreign Government"
    "Welfare Is Good When It Comes From A Foreign Government"
    "Being Dependent On Others For Your Needs Is Good When The Others Are Hostile Foreigners"
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  27. #24
    Ron Paul:

    A tariff is a tax levied on a foreign good, to help a special interest at the expense of American consumers.
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/12/...se-free-trade/
    There is no spoon.



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The states had their own tariffs BEFORE the Constitution because tariffs are the best form of taxation.

    Ron is wrong about this and it has been explained many times over.

    "Government Intervention In The Marketplace Is Good When It Is A Foreign Government"
    "Welfare Is Good When It Comes From A Foreign Government"
    "Being Dependent On Others For Your Needs Is Good When The Others Are Hostile Foreigners"
    No, Mr Roll-y Eyes- YOU are wrong.
    There is no spoon.

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    No, Mr Roll-y Eyes- YOU are wrong.
    I'm crushed by the weight of your logic.
    2+2=5, Government Intervention In The Marketplace Is Good When It Is A Foreign Government, Welfare Is Good When It Comes From A Foreign Government, Being Dependent On Others For Your Needs Is Good When The Others Are Hostile Foreigners, The Founding Fathers Preferred an Income Tax to Tariffs and I Love Big Brother.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The states had their own tariffs BEFORE the Constitution because tariffs are the best form of taxation.

    Ron is wrong about this and it has been explained many times over.

    "Government Intervention In The Marketplace Is Good When It Is A Foreign Government"
    "Welfare Is Good When It Comes From A Foreign Government"
    "Being Dependent On Others For Your Needs Is Good When The Others Are Hostile Foreigners"
    Listen up, Boromir. Low, uniform tariffs are preferable, but that's not what any of this is about. This is about cronyist protectionism. A vain attempt to help some industries at the expense of others.

    What foreign governments do to their own people is none of our interest. We should show them by our example of free markets, not by more government.

    We want to trade globally and govern locally. You have that backwards. You want to give politicians moar power so that they can intervene globally to what you think is your benefit.

    Ron Paul is right - you are wrong. Deal with it.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Listen up, Boromir. Low, uniform tariffs are preferable, but that's not what any of this is about. This is about cronyist protectionism. A vain attempt to help some industries at the expense of others.

    What foreign governments do to their own people is none of our interest. We should show them by our example of free markets, not by more government.

    We want to trade globally and govern locally. You have that backwards. You want to give politicians moar power so that they can intervene globally to what you think is your benefit.

    Ron Paul is right - you are wrong. Deal with it.
    What foreign governments do TO OUR PEOPLE by dumping etc. IS our business.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What foreign governments do TO OUR PEOPLE by dumping etc. IS our business.
    Do you realize how stupid that sounds? "Foreign governments are dumping their goods on us for cheap. We need to give our government more power to stop it!"

    The mind of a Trump supporter.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Do you realize how stupid that sounds? "Foreign governments are dumping their goods on us for cheap. We need to give our government more power to stop it!"

    The mind of a Trump supporter.
    Welfare to make some of our people dependent that also puts more of our people out of work while denying their markets to our people is NOT beneficial.

    What posses you to think that any good can come of accepting stolen goods? or that welfare from a foreign government can be good in any way?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 04:41 PM
  4. Joel Stein paints us as "crazy" "anarchists"
    By James R in forum Bad Media Reporting on Ron Paul
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •