Thread: Fiat Chrysler plans to open factory in Detroit

Fiat Chrysler plans to open factory in Detroit

Thank you, Trump! $#@! you GM and Ford.

Fiat Chrysler, riding a wave of strong truck and SUV sales, is planning to build a new final assembly plant in Detroit even as other American automakers scale back operations in the U.S., according to people familiar with the plan.

The assembly plant, an old Mack II Engine Plant that closed in 2012, will build a new three-row, Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV starting in 2020 as the automaker moves to keep up with strong demand for utility vehicles, the people said. A spokesperson for Fiat Chrysler would not comment on the report, nor confirm the automaker's plans.

The move comes as the industry faces pressure from President Donald Trump to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S. and stands in stark contrast to the recent decision by General Motors to stop production and idle five plants in North America including four in the United States.

Detroit will lose two GM facilities altogether. Both were performing well under capacity and contributing to a dismal capacity utilization rate of just 76 percent across the United States, far below Fiat Chrysler's rate of 90 percent.

Fiat Chrysler's plants are running at close to capacity due to continued strong demand for trucks and SUV's. Overall, Fiat Chrysler's sales in the U.S. are up 8 percent this year, easily outpacing the industry less than one percent according to the market research firm Autodata.

Sales of SUVs and pickups have been one of Fiat Chrysler's biggest areas of growth and have kept it ahead of its U.S. rivals. Overall sales jumped 17 percent in November over the same month last year — fueled largely by its popular Jeep SUVs and Ram Trucks.

Ford's sales, by comparison, dropped by about 7 percent in the same period.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/fiat...build-suv.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Weeeeeew 'Murica! Wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Weeeeeew 'Murica! Wait....
    Lol. Keyboard haters gonna hate. Meanwhile Americans are going back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Thank you, Trump! $#@! you GM and Ford
    I think the new wrangler pickup truck is gonna be huge for them next year.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think the new wrangler pickup truck is gonna be huge for them next year.
    I would expect so .
    Do something Danke

I'm gonna give an early congratulations to all the people who end up getting a job at that factory.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Jeep and Subaru are both crazy popular these days. Government motors, not so much I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Jeep and Subaru are both crazy popular these days. Government motors, not so much I guess.
    Around these parts, quite often you pull into any parking lot and subarus are the majority/plurality of the vehicles. DW loves hers. I don't find it comfortable; but when a good snowstorm hits, its fun to drive around in when the streets are empty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A three row, seven passenger Grand Cherokee?

I'd buy one.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A three row, seven passenger Grand Cherokee?

I'd buy one.
    Complete with all the latest "features" like gps tracking, more emissions controls, electronic keys that cost $200 to duplicate, backup cameras, seat sensors, microphones that record everything you say, a nice little black box "event data" recorder, and don't forget the internet connection to send all that data back to who knows who. You've spent years talking about how you'd never want a vehicle that had any of this crap, and now you'd suddenly buy one? And of course you can't really disable all that junk because of the vehicle inspections in your state. Whatever happened to "throw it in the woods"? Did you give up on that 1960's F-150 project you were talking about a while back?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Complete with all the latest "features" like gps tracking, more emissions controls, electronic keys that cost $200 to duplicate, backup cameras, seat sensors, microphones that record everything you say, a nice little black box "event data" recorder, and don't forget the internet connection to send all that data back to who knows who. You've spent years talking about how you'd never want a vehicle that had any of this crap, and now you'd suddenly buy one? And of course you can't really disable all that junk because of the vehicle inspections in your state. Whatever happened to "throw it in the woods"? Did you give up on that 1960's F-150 project you were talking about a while back?
    As long as Big Brother is Made in America...

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    No, that's for me and what I currently drive.

The wife won't drive it.

She currently is driving a 2013 Grand Cherokee.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-07-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    As long as Big Brother is Made in America...
    If you want an ICE vehicle, with four wheel drive, with power, you had better buy one now.

By 2025 you will not be able to at all, regardless of all the Big Brother crap festooned all over it.

We are less than ten years out from the end of personal, private, autonomous automobiles as we understand them

Around these parts, quite often you pull into any parking lot and subarus are the majority/plurality of the vehicles. DW loves hers. I don't find it comfortable; but when a good snowstorm hits, its fun to drive around in when the streets are empty.
    Can't beat a scooby do in the snow.
    "The Patriarch"

The wife has one. We are supposed to get 12"-18" of snow Sun. I usually drive it to work since it is better on gas mileage, but she says I'm gonna have to take the truck. Lol.

The new Jeep truck was supposed to come out this year. I've been waiting on it, but couldn't wait any longer. I gave up my Wrangler for a temporary Cherokee. (It's a white Cherokee - I named it "Liz")

Anyway, I'll be getting one of these Gladiators in a few years. Just mistimed it a little:

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll take a Subaru any day- easy to drive, last forever & great in icy weather.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    @Ender

Travis Pastrana in his 600HP Soobie setting a Mt. Washington record.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I thought only lesbos drove Subarus.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Easy, now. My ole lady has a Forester.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That's because you don't know ant straight women. Get away from the hookers for awhile.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    @Ender

Travis Pastrana in his 600HP Soobie setting a Mt. Washington record.

WHOA.
    There is no spoon.