Thread: U.S. Murder Rate for 2018 Is on Track for a Big Drop

Exclamation U.S. Murder Rate for 2018 Is on Track for a Big Drop

U.S. Murder Rate for 2018 Is on Track for a Big Drop

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/u...-big-drop.html

If murder falls about 4.5 percent nationally this year, the murder rate of about 5 per 100,000 will roughly be in line with 2009’s rate and half of what it was in 1980, the highest U.S. murder rate on record. The accompanying chart shows what the national murder rate since 1960 would look like with a 4.5 percent drop in 2018.

Tracking the change in murder nationally is far easier than explaining why it’s happening. There is still no consensus on why murder rose nationally in 2015 and 2016, though various theories have been proposed, including simple randomness. Similarly, a projected drop in murder in 2018 would not have an obvious cause. Employment of smarter technologies, expanded community intervention programs, and even colder weather could help explain year-to-year local changes.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    millennials are just too lazy.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    According to Oyarde they must have learned by watching you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    According to Oyarde they must have learned by watching you.
    LOL, an Injun calling someone else lazy.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

LOL, an Injun calling someone else lazy.
    Perhaps he intends it as a compliment?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Must be because we have a lower ratio of immigrants to citizens when compared to last year.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    U.S. Murder Rate for 2018 Is on Track for a Big Drop

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/u...-big-drop.html

If murder falls about 4.5 percent nationally this year, the murder rate of about 5 per 100,000 will roughly be in line with 2009’s rate and half of what it was in 1980, the highest U.S. murder rate on record. The accompanying chart shows what the national murder rate since 1960 would look like with a 4.5 percent drop in 2018.

Tracking the change in murder nationally is far easier than explaining why it’s happening. There is still no consensus on why murder rose nationally in 2015 and 2016, though various theories have been proposed, including simple randomness. Similarly, a projected drop in murder in 2018 would not have an obvious cause. Employment of smarter technologies, expanded community intervention programs, and even colder weather could help explain year-to-year local changes.

As to the bolded part, perhaps this is true for the victim disarming $#@!stains at the NY Times, but for the rest of us it's been quite obvious why murder rates (along with other violent crime rates) have been steadily falling for about 2 decades. As John Lott put it back in the 90s, More Guns, Less Crime.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Must be because we have a lower ratio of immigrants to citizens when compared to last year.
    Nope, MORE GUNS=LESS CRIME.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The drop in murder rates is because the Trump presidency has inspired everyone to be better people
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    The drop in murder rates is because the Trump presidency has inspired everyone to be better people

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I bet they do not have many guns . After the food stamps take care of most of the expenses they probably use whats left on video games or hollywood gaying .
    Do something Danke

More guns means less crime? Who'da thunk?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Our life expectancy is dipping because suicides and drug overdoses are increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post