Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?

Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?

https://www.theologyofwork.org/the-h...important-fact

On the wall above our copier at work is an encouraging statement by Charles Swindoll. I am not quite sure why it ended up over the copier but there it is, staring us in the face while we wait for our copies to print out.

Attitude

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company . . . a church . . . a home. The remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.

What struck me was the surprising idea that attitude might be more important than fact. Of course, Chuck Swindoll is writing from a Christian point of view, so his belief system revolves around the historic and experiential fact of the existence of a loving God who is behind and upholds all things. What if I doubt this premise? Could I still develop an attitude that transcends the difficulties and problems that I face? This is where we have to differentiate between idealistic and realistic attitudes.

We have all met the super-positive idealistic person who sees the silver lining to each problem and is blind to some of the hard facts which lurk just out of sight. Sooner or later the truth will come out.

On the other hand, a realistic attitude will tend to weigh the pros and cons of the situation. But what is realism? What are the facts? We need to look beyond the "immediate facts" that surround a situation to consider the "ultimate facts" which give meaning to the specific situation and then to all of life.

Dr. Francis Schaeffer, founder of L’Abri Fellowship, used to ask seekers "What is your final screen?" In other words, what is your final authority, your ultimate reference point? Christian answers to these questions make particular sense.

If our attitude is not founded on a reality that transcends the immediate situation, we are left with wishful thinking and a groundless faith. Quite simply, the Christian has every reason to have a realistic but also a vibrant, transcendent attitude that can meet situations with courage, compassion, and hope.

When we look at this bigger picture, we can base our attitude on the ultimate reality. We have a God who loves us, who has revealed himself in history, in and through the person of Jesus Christ. This resurrected Jesus is alive. Through the Holy Spirit, we can know him and the power of his resurrection so that "experience" can augment "ultimate fact."

Jesus expresses it graphically: "Whoever drinks the water that I give will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up into eternal life" (John 4:14). If this is true, it will profoundly affect our attitude.

When we know the risen Lord, we realize who is ultimately in control. He sets us free from worry about things that we can't control. And he leads us to an attitude of peace, so we can rest in him.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Television may countermand the warning we once received about the fallacy of the Ad hominem argument. We now banish those who tell us the news when we do not care for the face of the teller. Televison provides a new definition of truth. Credibility is no longer the ultimate test of truth of a proposition, but now the impression of sincerity, authenticity, vulnerability or attractiveness - Neal Postman
    if attitude is a part of the way we see people as credible....., then yes......
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Faith can move mountains.

Delusion can kill you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Attitude is very important in how we filter information. My attitude toward what I cannot see is what helps me process what I can see.

As an American living in the United States. I understand that there is a benevolent God who has already defined the outcome. I do not depend on government to secure an eternal future. The government can make the present a little less comfortable, but that’s not the final outcome.

The world around me is constantly trying to steer me away from faith in an eternal benevolent God. My don’t track with that. Government cannot do anything to make God less than he is.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Faith can move mountains.

Delusion can kill you.
    How do we distinguish between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Determine which is the dependable object. You already know government is faithless and undependable. I would suggest that people are ungovernable, and are not capable of self-governing very well. They need help that comes from a transformed heart. And clearly, not every faith system allows people to live and prosper in an orderly society.
    #NashvilleStrong

That can be difficult, but experience and common sense can help, distinguishing between the two is one of the greatest test in this life.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That can be difficult, but experience and common sense can help, distinguishing between the two is one of the greatest test in this life.
    So back to facts?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So back to facts?
    Facts first then faith, the LORD helps them who help themselves.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LORD helps them who help themselves.
    Exactly how is this a fact?
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Exactly how is this a fact?
    Matthew
    Chapter 25

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?
    Yes. If you have the right attitude and the gift for gab, you can change the facts to suit you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yes. If you have the right attitude and the gift for gab, you can change the facts to suit you.
    Thats how I did it when I worked . I felt while I had my people doing stupid $#@! as I was instructed ( some of the time)it would help them feel better if I convinced them it was great . I got so good at it I was ashamed of myself , almost .
    Do something Danke

Matthew
    Chapter 25
    Sorry pal, that's not what the parable is about. It's about the reward for responsibility.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Sorry pal, that's not what the parable is about. It's about the reward for responsibility.
    And it is responsible to help yourself.

We may not always receive our rewards in this life but we do receive some.

Then there is this:

James
    Chapter 2

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
    15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
    16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
    17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

If you don't do what you can to help yourself then your faith is dead and the LORD will not honor it.

If you can't do anything that is a different matter.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Don't die.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the LORD helps them who help themselves.
    is nowhere in scripture.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    is nowhere in scripture.
    I didn't say it was but it is true anyway and I posted scriptures that back it up.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If you don't do what you can to help yourself then your faith is dead
    (correction)
    If you don't do what you can to help others then your faith is dead.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I didn't say it was but it is true anyway and I posted scriptures that back it up.
    NO,, it isn't. and no,,, you didn't.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

(correction)
    Both are true.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

(correction)
    If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
    ?? Build a wall and Debtors Prison?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

?? Build a wall and Debtors Prison?
    I don't see how that is relevant but I don't believe in debtors prison and you can help people without letting them in to take over your country and trample you rights.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Both are true.
    NO Both are Opposite.

Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NO Both are Opposite.

Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Helping yourself doesn't have to conflict with either of those, if you cut yourself and bandage it that is helping yourself without necessarily failing to help widows and orphans or becoming polluted by the world.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

and you can help people without letting them in to take over your country and trample you rights.
    Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You,” he said, “if You will fall down and worship me."

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You,” he said, “if You will fall down and worship me."

Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

I love my family, friends and countrymen as well as myself, I choose to care for them, I can also help others without letting them invade and trample my rights and those of my family, friends and countrymen.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

1 Timothy 5:8

“But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Helping yourself
    TOO concerned with yourself. (whoosh)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

TOO concerned with yourself. (whoosh)
    Nonsense.

Not only are you judging me unjustly but this whole discussion started about the very principle of helping yourself at all.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast