Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41

Thread: Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?

  1. #1

    Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?

    https://www.theologyofwork.org/the-h...important-fact

    On the wall above our copier at work is an encouraging statement by Charles Swindoll. I am not quite sure why it ended up over the copier but there it is, staring us in the face while we wait for our copies to print out.

    Attitude

    The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company . . . a church . . . a home. The remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.

    What struck me was the surprising idea that attitude might be more important than fact. Of course, Chuck Swindoll is writing from a Christian point of view, so his belief system revolves around the historic and experiential fact of the existence of a loving God who is behind and upholds all things. What if I doubt this premise? Could I still develop an attitude that transcends the difficulties and problems that I face? This is where we have to differentiate between idealistic and realistic attitudes.

    We have all met the super-positive idealistic person who sees the silver lining to each problem and is blind to some of the hard facts which lurk just out of sight. Sooner or later the truth will come out.

    On the other hand, a realistic attitude will tend to weigh the pros and cons of the situation. But what is realism? What are the facts? We need to look beyond the "immediate facts" that surround a situation to consider the "ultimate facts" which give meaning to the specific situation and then to all of life.

    Dr. Francis Schaeffer, founder of LíAbri Fellowship, used to ask seekers "What is your final screen?" In other words, what is your final authority, your ultimate reference point? Christian answers to these questions make particular sense.

    If our attitude is not founded on a reality that transcends the immediate situation, we are left with wishful thinking and a groundless faith. Quite simply, the Christian has every reason to have a realistic but also a vibrant, transcendent attitude that can meet situations with courage, compassion, and hope.

    When we look at this bigger picture, we can base our attitude on the ultimate reality. We have a God who loves us, who has revealed himself in history, in and through the person of Jesus Christ. This resurrected Jesus is alive. Through the Holy Spirit, we can know him and the power of his resurrection so that "experience" can augment "ultimate fact."

    Jesus expresses it graphically: "Whoever drinks the water that I give will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up into eternal life" (John 4:14). If this is true, it will profoundly affect our attitude.

    When we know the risen Lord, we realize who is ultimately in control. He sets us free from worry about things that we can't control. And he leads us to an attitude of peace, so we can rest in him.




  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Television may countermand the warning we once received about the fallacy of the Ad hominem argument. We now banish those who tell us the news when we do not care for the face of the teller. Televison provides a new definition of truth. Credibility is no longer the ultimate test of truth of a proposition, but now the impression of sincerity, authenticity, vulnerability or attractiveness - Neal Postman
    if attitude is a part of the way we see people as credible....., then yes......
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

  4. #3
    Faith can move mountains.




    Delusion can kill you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  5. #4
    Attitude is very important in how we filter information. My attitude toward what I cannot see is what helps me process what I can see.

    As an American living in the United States. I understand that there is a benevolent God who has already defined the outcome. I do not depend on government to secure an eternal future. The government can make the present a little less comfortable, but that’s not the final outcome.

    The world around me is constantly trying to steer me away from faith in an eternal benevolent God. My don’t track with that. Government cannot do anything to make God less than he is.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Faith can move mountains.




    Delusion can kill you.
    How do we distinguish between the two?

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How do we distinguish between the two?
    Determine which is the dependable object. You already know government is faithless and undependable. I would suggest that people are ungovernable, and are not capable of self-governing very well. They need help that comes from a transformed heart. And clearly, not every faith system allows people to live and prosper in an orderly society.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How do we distinguish between the two?
    That can be difficult, but experience and common sense can help, distinguishing between the two is one of the greatest test in this life.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That can be difficult, but experience and common sense can help, distinguishing between the two is one of the greatest test in this life.
    So back to facts?



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    So back to facts?
    Facts first then faith, the LORD helps them who help themselves.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LORD helps them who help themselves.
    Exactly how is this a fact?
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Exactly how is this a fact?
    Matthew
    Chapter 25


    14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
    17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
    18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
    19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
    26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
    29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  14. #12
    Can Attitude Be More Important than Fact?
    Yes. If you have the right attitude and the gift for gab, you can change the facts to suit you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yes. If you have the right attitude and the gift for gab, you can change the facts to suit you.
    Thats how I did it when I worked . I felt while I had my people doing stupid $#@! as I was instructed ( some of the time)it would help them feel better if I convinced them it was great . I got so good at it I was ashamed of myself , almost .
    Do something Danke

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Matthew
    Chapter 25
    Sorry pal, that's not what the parable is about. It's about the reward for responsibility.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Sorry pal, that's not what the parable is about. It's about the reward for responsibility.
    And it is responsible to help yourself.

    We may not always receive our rewards in this life but we do receive some.

    Then there is this:

    James
    Chapter 2


    14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
    15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
    16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
    17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.


    If you don't do what you can to help yourself then your faith is dead and the LORD will not honor it.

    If you can't do anything that is a different matter.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How do we distinguish between the two?
    Don't die.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    the LORD helps them who help themselves.
    is nowhere in scripture.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    is nowhere in scripture.
    I didn't say it was but it is true anyway and I posted scriptures that back it up.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

    If you don't do what you can to help yourself then your faith is dead
    (correction)
    If you don't do what you can to help others then your faith is dead.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I didn't say it was but it is true anyway and I posted scriptures that back it up.
    NO,, it isn't. and no,,, you didn't.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    (correction)
    If you don't do what you can to help others then your faith is dead.
    Both are true.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    (correction)
    If you don't do what you can to help others then your faith is dead.
    If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
    ?? Build a wall and Debtors Prison?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    ?? Build a wall and Debtors Prison?
    I don't see how that is relevant but I don't believe in debtors prison and you can help people without letting them in to take over your country and trample you rights.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Both are true.
    NO Both are Opposite.

    Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    NO Both are Opposite.

    Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Helping yourself doesn't have to conflict with either of those, if you cut yourself and bandage it that is helping yourself without necessarily failing to help widows and orphans or becoming polluted by the world.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    and you can help people without letting them in to take over your country and trample you rights.
    Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.



    Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You,” he said, “if You will fall down and worship me."

    Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

    Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

    No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.


    Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

    Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.



    Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You,” he said, “if You will fall down and worship me."

    Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

    Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

    No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.


    Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

    Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
    I love my family, friends and countrymen as well as myself, I choose to care for them, I can also help others without letting them invade and trample my rights and those of my family, friends and countrymen.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  32. #28
    1 Timothy 5:8

    “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

    King James Version (KJV)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Helping yourself
    TOO concerned with yourself. (whoosh)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    TOO concerned with yourself. (whoosh)
    Nonsense.

    Not only are you judging me unjustly but this whole discussion started about the very principle of helping yourself at all.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Who Will Fact Check the Fact Checkers
    By Smaulgld in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2016, 10:40 AM
  2. Fact-Checking Snopes: Websiteís Political ĎFact-Checkerí Is Just A Failed Liberal Blogger
    By libertyjam in forum Political Philosophy & Government Policy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM
  3. Important Attitude Information for Delegates
    By FreeTraveler in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
  4. this is the attitude
    By Man from La Mancha in forum Iowa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 01:29 AM
  5. Important little known fact about immigration
    By noztnac in forum Marketing Strategy, Influence & Persuasion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 04:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •