Thread: Weekly Standard Preparing to Shut Down

Weekly Standard Preparing to Shut Down

The sanctimonious clowns at the Weekly Standard, led by #NeverTrump head honcho Bill Kristol, have finally succumbed to a market that no longer cares about their losing brand of faux-conservatism in the age of President Donald J. Trump.
    “The Weekly Standard is not expected to survive going into 2019 and is preparing to shut down permanently, according to several former and current staff members who spoke to The Daily Caller News Foundation,” according to Daily Caller.
    Billionaire Philip Anschutz, the owner of the publication, was reportedly frustrated “with the direction of the magazine,” as were the sane members of the GOP who no longer wished to be ruled by an elite class of establishment Republicans who capitulated Democrats on every issue imaginable.
    Kristol, the editor of the publication, was perhaps the most vocal Trump critic in the GOP. He openly dropped his support for the Republican party when Trump won the GOP presidential nomination (because why bother listening to what those peasants in Middle America want?) and advocated for a Hillary Clinton presidency.

There are rumors that the publication could be folded into a page of the Washington Examiner, but according to the report, a current editor at Weekly Standard said it is more likely that the publicationwill shut down completely.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/good-r...-to-shut-down/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did not know it still existed .
    Do something Danke

They must have been waiting for HW to die or something.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Perhaps the genius of the neocons is that they regularly fold-up old, worn-out, discredited organizations and start new ones. Permanent revolution...

The Washington Free Beacon has been the replacement for The Weekly Standard for some time now.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

21 new threads today, 16 in this subforum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

We'll see. Slate was supposed to fold by 2014 but they're still around.

I just wish Bill Kristol would shut down, permanently.
    "The Patriarch"

I wouldn't line my bird cage with that rag.

Nothing in the "Weakly Standard" was worth reading. It was all globalists shilling and propaganda.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    some awesome, positive news, THANK YOU!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

The skeptic in me... wonder if this is a preparation for trumps government ministry of truth...

But then who will tell us next useless war to start?

A formerly-relevant conservative magazine has shut down after two years of #NeverTrump commentary finally drove the majority of its readership away.
    “All good things come to an end. And so, after 23 years, does The Weekly Standard. I want to express my gratitude to our readers and my admiration for my colleagues. We worked hard to put out a quality magazine, and we had a good time doing so. And we have much more to do. Onward!” said Bill Kristol, formerly Weekly Standard’s editor-at-large and the publication’s most prominent personality.
    All good things come to an end. And so, after 23 years, does The Weekly Standard. I want to express my gratitude to our readers and my admiration for my colleagues. We worked hard to put out a quality magazine, and we had a good time doing so. And we have much more to do. Onward!
    — Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) December 14, 2018
    Kristol is known for ditching the GOP over the nomination of President Donald J. Trump in favor of the globalist establishment. Weekly Standard’s former readers left for more in-touch media sources and never forgave him. After 23 years in business, the publication became obsolete in just two years.

There were rumors that the magazine might merge with Washington Examiner, but that deal never came to fruition. The last issue of Weekly Standard will be published on Dec. 24.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/weekly...ves-celebrate/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

another fantastic outcome born out of the 2016 election.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Raise a Glass this Weekend . . .
    Thomas DiLorenzo

. . . to the demise of the neocon invade-the-rest-of-the-world propaganda rag, The Weekly Standard, which kicked out all of its employees and simply disappeared yesterday. Bottoms up!

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...-this-weekend/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How Bill Kristol Closed the Conservative Mind
    He established himself as the GOP's hawkish gatekeeper and waged war on the antiwar right.

By JACK HUNTER
    December 18, 2018

When The American Conservative launched in 2002, co-founder Pat Buchanan explained why it was needed: “there is no doubt the neocons have come to define the conservative movement, which bothers me. They do not represent traditional conservatism.”

“Commentary, National Review and The Weekly Standard are nearly interchangeable in terms of foreign policy and empire,” said Buchanan. “It’s all degenerating into outright imperialism.”

“This is not conservatism,” he insisted.

Buchanan was right, of course. What was considered “conservative” back then was almost exclusively neoconservatism in all its pro-war, big government glory. Support for the invasion of Iraq and George W. Bush were strict litmus tests. White House speechwriter David Frum even attempted to cast out the small minority of conservatives and libertarians who questioned the neocon status quo.

For anyone who opposed the war—and especially dissenters on the Right—there would be no mercy. Bill Kristol never had any intention of showing any.

When it was announced that The Weekly Standard would shut down last week, many journalists and politicos lamented its end, and understandably so. The neoconservative flagship that Kristol founded and led for most of its existence was hailed as a “jewel of American conservatism” and a home for “solid reporting and strong writing.” Its demise represented a “closing of the conservative mind.”

read more:
    https://www.theamericanconservative....ervative-mind/