Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urge your representatives to Get US Out! of NAFTA & USMCA (clean thread)

Urge your representatives to Get US Out! of NAFTA & USMCA (clean thread)

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he will give formal notice to the U.S. Congress in the near future to terminate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), giving six months for lawmakers to approve a new trade deal signed on Friday."I will be formally terminating NAFTA shortly," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on his way home from Argentina.
    "Just so you understand, when I do that - if for any reason we're unable to make a deal because of Congress then Congress will have a choice" of the new deal or returning to trade rules from before 1994 when NAFTA took effect, he said.
    Trump said the trade rules before NAFTA "work very well."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-not...--finance.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@Brian4Liberty and any other mods

Please keep this activism thread clean of the derailment trolls.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I inserted USMCA into the message body because you have to clearly spell it out for them:

https://www.votervoice.net/mobile/JB.../58679/respond

Fortunately, USMCA is not yet a done deal. Senator Pat Toomey (R-Penn.) has informed Trump that the votes to pass USMCA are not yet there, as opposition remains from members of both parties. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), told CNN, “The president needs to talk to Congress on this and we can get back to the table with the Mexicans and the Canadians and do stronger labor standards.”

Another Democrat, Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, asked, “If this deal is so great, why is he already resorting to threats to try and ram this through Congress?”

Senator Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) has expressed his own concerns, tweeting that the deal was “unacceptable,” because he contends it would kill the Florida vegetable market.

William F. Jasper, senior editor of The New American, has said that it is unlikely that Trump has actually read the USMCA deal (it's an extremely long document — more than 1,800 pages!), and that he is just going by what his advisors have told him is in the agreement. This means, of course, that the president himself, who ran for president on an "America First" agenda, could have second thoughts about the agreement when he finds out more about what is actually in it.

Americans who value their nation’s independence need to address this issue with their members of the House and Senate, right now. And, while they are at it, members of Congress should be asked just why such a far-reaching agreement is not a treaty. Under the Constitution, a treaty must be approved by not just a majority of the Senate, but by two-thirds of the Senate, before it can be considered law in the United States. And, any treaty must be in accordance with the Constitution itself, before it is legally binding.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...t-scuttle-both

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I heard Roger Stone yesterday screaming at Trump to fix or nix this deal. Said Trump (we) are getting railroaded by his "advisors" and that USMCA will codify censorship, destroy free speech, and increase government. Many parts were written by Apple/Google.

We dodged the GDPR bullet when Trump killed TPP but it has boomeranged right back and Trump is probably oblivious. Or worse...

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I heard Roger Stone yesterday screaming at Trump to fix or nix this deal. Said Trump (we) are getting railroaded by his "advisors" and that USMCA will codify censorship, destroy free speech, and increase government. Many parts were written by Apple/Google.

We dodged the GDPR bullet when Trump killed TPP but it has boomeranged right back and Trump is probably oblivious. Or worse...
    Does it matter which?
    "The Patriarch"

USMCA Is A United Nations Agreement

The USMCA is riddled with the International Labour Organization, containing language such as Tribunals and Sustainable Development. This is the NAFTA replacement agreement that our U.S. government is pushing.

Please look at this entire globalist agreement, Chaper 23 (Labor)

https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/fr...eement-between

The International Labour Organization (ILO) is a United Nations Agency that sets international labour standards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...r_Organization

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The USMCA “Trade Agreement” Violates Our Constitution And Sets Up Global Government

Jan 15, 2019 by Publius Huldah

On November 30, 2018, President Trump, along with the Prime Minister of Canada and the President of Mexico, signed the United States-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) “Trade Agreement”. “Trade” is in quotes, because the document isn’t about “trade” – it’s about setting up global government. “Agreement” is in quotes because the document is a “treaty” – and that invokes the two-thirds ratification requirement of Art. II, §2, cl. 2, US Constitution.

The USMCA Treaty (“Treaty”) was negotiated by U.S. Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, which works to move the United States into the North American Union (NAU).[1]

Continue:

https://newswithviews.com/the-usmca-...al-government/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

US President Donald Trump on Saturday lashed out at Mexico for staying idle while a third caravan of Central American migrants is approaching the southern US border.“Mexico is doing NOTHING to stop the Caravan which is now fully formed and heading to the United States,” Trump tweeted.
    Mexico is doing NOTHING to stop the Caravan which is now fully formed and heading to the United States. We stopped the last two – many are still in Mexico but can’t get through our Wall, but it takes a lot of Border Agents if there is no Wall. Not easy!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 19, 2019
    The caravan reportedly began arriving at the Mexican border with Guatemala on Friday. Fox News said around a 1,000 marched through the border gates after they were left open.
    Trump has repeatedly slammed Mexico for ignoring big crowds that have been trekking north to start a new life in the United States, warning there were criminals mixed in.

“We stopped the last two — many are still in Mexico but can’t get through our Wall, but it takes a lot of Border Agents if there is no Wall. Not easy!” the president stressed.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/trump-mexic...grant-caravan/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump’s Support for USMCA to Pay for Wall Is Too High a Price

January 2019

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...o-high-a-price

For more information:

https://www.jbs.org/nafta

USMCA doesn't even go into effect until all counties involved ratify it so they don't have to change any laws yet (are those wages paid by the government?). It does require Mexico to pay people in the automobile industry (either parts or whole cars) a minimum of $15 an hour. The US gets to sell a bit more fluid milk products to Canada. Otherwise, pretty much the same old NAFTA Trump called the "worst agreement in the world" and now calls the same thing amazing. He is after all a salesman. He also says the agreement will pay for that wall thing he wants. The Government Shutdown funds (what?) will also pay for it.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-23-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Kevin Brady, a Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives’ Ways and Means Committee, has said the U.S. Congress will not consider approving the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) until it receives assurances that import tariffs on steel and aluminum will be lifted, Inside U.S. Trade reported Jan. 29. Imports of steel and aluminum from Canada and Mexico remain subject to U.S. tariffs under Section 232 of the 1962 Trade Expansion Act.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...num-are-lifted

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand needs to argue that this is a treaty and requires a 2/3rds vote in the Senate.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bump due to SOTU speech.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ottawa may delay the ratification of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) until Washington decides to lift tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, according to Transport Minister Marc Garneau, the CBC reported Feb. 21.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has received domestic criticism for failing to convince the United States to lift steel and aluminum tariffs as part of the trade negotiations. As Canada gears up for elections in October, Ottawa may take an increasingly assertive stance on lifting the tariffs, which could further complicate the agreement's ratification.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-tariffs-steel

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    OP, is USMCA bad for America?

If so, why both GOP-Adelson/Jarvanka leaderships consider it a huge achievement?
    MAGA team leader even proudly won MX's highest Aztec award from MX gov.
    It is both better and worse than NAFTA in various ways and it is bad and should be stopped, Adelson/Jarvanka can't be trusted but Trump needs their cooperation, notice that there seem to be roadblocks popping up in the way of the USMCA and Trump's cooperation with it may end up having been a bag of air he traded to them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mexico's proposed labor reform, which is required for the ratification of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), falls short of demands Washington made during trade negotiations, Inside U.S. Trade reported March 25.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...a-ratification

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Chief executives from American steel producers urged lawmakers to maintain strong U.S. tariffs on the metal on Wednesday to protect their industry, as Senate efforts to rein in President Donald Trump's tariff powers gained steam.The CEOs of top U.S. steelmakers Nucor Corp, United States Steel Corp, ArcelorMittal SA and Commercial Metals Co told the Congressional Steel Caucus that the "Section 232" steel tariffs were just starting to allow their industry to recover from damage caused by years of dumped imports and needed to be kept in place long-term.

Little has been done to reduce excess steel production capacity in China that U.S. producers blame for most of the industry's woes, and without the tariffs, unfairly traded imports would flood back into the U.S. market, the executives said.
    "Now is not the time to blink," U.S. Steel CEO David Burritt told the lawmakers at a hearing on Wednesday. "Section 232 must continue to be applied to all countries, especially the largest import sources, whether that's a tariff or a hard quota. Even our best allies can be conduits for foreign steel from China or elsewhere."
    Canada and Mexico are trying to negotiate a plan to lift U.S. metals tariffs from their products. The Trump administration is demanding quotas to limit import volumes in lieu of tariffs, but Canada and Mexico are resisting.
    Earlier this week, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer made little headway in a meeting to resolve the issue, a Canadian official told Reuters.
    "There was not a meeting of the minds," the official said. "That of course is an opportunity for the minister to reflect and think about what our next steps are."

Several Republican U.S. senators are combining forces on legislation to limit Trump's ability to impose tariffs under Section 232 of the Cold War-era Trade Expansion Act of 1962.
    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, who represents the farming state of Iowa, on Tuesday said he would lead the effort aimed at restoring Congress' constitutional authority over trade matters. His plan calls for Section 232 tariffs to be limited to a defined period of time unless extended by Congress.
    United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard told the steel caucus lawmakers that Canada should be exempted from the Section 232 tariffs because of the high level of cross-border integration and common ownership in the industry. His union represents about 9,000 Canadian steel workers and 50,000 at U.S. mills.
    But Representative Mike Bost, a Republican whose district saw U.S. Steel restart two blast furnaces and rehire 800 workers at its Granite City, Illinois mill last year, made clear that he was focused on rebuilding steelmaking capacity in the United States, not Canada.
    "I want to let you know that the focus of this committee should be our U.S. workers," Bost said.
    The steel executives also called on the lawmakers to boost U.S. demand for steel by passing a significant infrastructure investment package this year.

"Please let this year be the time to stop talking and start investing," said ArcelorMittal USA President John Brett.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/dont-blink-tr...--finance.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said the House of Representatives would not consider approving the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) until Mexico adopts and implements a labor reform that the three countries agreed upon during USMCA negotiations, Politico reported April 2. Pelosi is also pushing for the inclusion of environmental protections and enforcement of agreements on pharmaceuticals in the deal.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...rm-pelosi-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Following a suggestion by Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that changes to the USMCA needed to be made in the actual text of the agreement before Democrats would pass the USMCA, both Mexican and Canadian officials have rejected reopening renegotiations.

“We’re saying that enforcement has to be in the treaty, not in the implementing legislation,” Pelosi recently told Politico Playbook during an interview on Tuesday. Early on, high-ranking Democrats had sounded as if they would accept the USMCA if they could tweak the legislation to implement the USMCA — in an effort to assure that Democrat goals would be met.
    On Thursday, Jesús Seade Kuri, the Undersecretary for North America for Mexico’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs shot down Pelosi’s request. “Reopening it is as good as killing it,” Seade Kuri said. Likewise, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland also ruled out the possibility of reopening negotiations, comparing the suggestion to opening “Pandora’s box.”
    “When it comes to the issue of actually opening up the agreement, that's where Canada's view is, we've done our deal,” Freeland told reporters on Thursday. “This was a very intense negotiation. A lot of time, a lot of effort went into it, compromises were made on all sides, and we believe that people need to be very careful around opening up what could really be a Pandora's box.”

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...eopening-usmca

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Members of the Democratic Party in the U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee have expressed skepticism that the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) will significantly improve labor standards in Mexico, according to an April 11 letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, Inside U.S. Trade reported.

The Ways and Means Committee's letter could pose a serious challenge to the USMCA's ratification as the agreement requires the panel's approval.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...abor-standards

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mexico’s Senate this week approved a sweeping package that focuses on labor law enforcement in the country.

The move follows the successful negotiation of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), which includes unprecedented labor and environmental provisions and is designed to replace NAFTA.
    But many Democrats on Capitol Hill argue the USMCA doesn’t provide for enforcement of the agreed-to labor standards.
    “Clearly the vote [the Mexican Senate] took, the fact they did that is good for workers in Mexico, but we still have to have stronger enforcement,” said Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.), co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
    “This has been a problem in past agreements. When you don’t have the enforcement language in the same language as the trade agreement, it makes it less likely to be enforced,” said Pocan.
    He added it “should be an easy lift” to add enforcement language before the USMCA is taken up by the House.
    But there’s no guarantee the agreement will make it to the House floor. Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said at a press conference Thursday that while she wants to add pharmaceutical and environmental provisions to the trade deal, “the overarching issue is enforcement.
    “You can have all the good language in the world that you want, but if you don’t have enforcement, you’re just having a conversation. You’re not having a real negotiation,” she said.
    Adding new language would mean reopening negotiations, something Mexico and the Trump administration are reluctant to do. Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney recently rejected Pelosi’s demand to renegotiate the USMCA.

More at: https://thehill.com/policy/finance/t...n-to-new-nafta

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump said on Thursday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi does not understand the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal and had told the U.S. trade representative, Robert Lighthizer, she wanted two weeks to get to know the agreement."Pelosi does not understand the bill, she doesn't understand it ... so she's got to get up to snuff, learn the bill," Trump said at a White House event.
    "She's a mess. Look, let's face it, she doesn't understand it," Trump said.
    Pelosi, responding to Trump's remarks, tweeted: "When the 'extremely stable genius' starts acting more presidential, I’ll be happy to work with him on infrastructure, trade and other issues."
    Pelosi was invoking a comment made by Trump earlier on Thursday, when he called himself "an extremely stable genius" as the two engaged in a heated war of words.
    Republicans in Congress are pushing for ratification of the USMCA, which would replace the 25-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement, before lawmakers leave Washington for their August recess. As the House of Representatives speaker, Pelosi, a Democrat, controls when any initial vote could take place.
    Text of the agreement has been published since October 2018, but some Democratic lawmakers have demanded stronger enforcement provisions for USMCA's new labor and environmental standards and it is unclear whether this can be achieved through the USMCA's implementing legislation.

A two-week study period would eat up a dwindling number of legislative days before Congress starts its break on Aug. 3. "I think that's a long time," said Trump, who has been feuding with Democrats over the probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-ho...--finance.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Unhappy USMCA surrender agreement, NAFTA 2.0 - New World Order

USMCA surrender agreement, signed. Officially a third world craphole now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Vice President Mike Pence may have assured Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the Trump administration was "absolutely committed" to passing USMCA this summer, but that was before Robert Lighthizer infuriated Democrats by starting the clock on bringing legislation to ratify the treaty before Congress - and also before President Trump revealed his plans to impose tariffs on Mexican imports.

The chances of USMCA passing were already looking tenuous, as Democrats have appeared reluctant to work with President Trump to facilitate what would be his biggest trade triumph to date. But now that Trump has angered Mexico and Democrats with the new tariffs, chances of USMCA passing have fallen from 'low' to 'nearly zero', according to a team of analysts at Goldman Sachs.

In a note to clients published on Friday, Goldman explained that it believes Trump will move ahead with 5% tariffs on Mexican imports on June 10 - at least that's the bank's base case, even as its analysts concede that Trump never followed through on threats to close the southern border.
    And, assuming the tariffs do take effect, Democrats in the House will likely slow consideration of USMCA - likely missing the 90-day window for consideration triggered by Lighthizer on Thursday - and greatly increasing the chances that the deal won't be ratified until after the 2020 election

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...0-goldman-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast